Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #9856
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
you 100% need a passport to travel anywhere outside the US anymore.
and more importantly to get back into the US through customs.
you may get stopped and asked for a passport heading into baja (red light/green thing) or you may get all greens and just ride on through.
try coming back across to the US and tell the guy you don't have a passport and expect a long wait of getting anywhere besides a detention area. border patrol back into the US is unreal tight anymore.

Once again, I agree that having a passport should be mandatory for anyone leaving the USA because it simplifies a lot of things. But as recently as late last year I asked the Border Patrol in Laredo if I could cross without my passport (accidentally left behind in the RV) and they gave me some pointers. When I came back I handed the guy my Florida drivers license, he scanned it, and waved me through just like that.

I think that if you get outside the border zone Mexico is now requiring that you carry your passport, but presumably you could not have gotten your travel permit without presenting it in the first place.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #9857
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Not only that, but every time I go to the beach areas I find that the Canadians and Europeans have beat me there first. When I was in Tampico a few years ago I ran into the same Canadian guy three times in different parts of town. Ran into Belgian and Eastern Euro sailers, and a bunch of French. The only gringos that I met however were two good ol' boys from an ocean going tug that got drunk and belligerent and confessed that they wanted to go to the local cat houses but were afraid to walk in that part of town.

so I walked with them and assured them that the streets were safe. No guys ... I didn't have first hand knowledge of the cat houses - I had been going to a laundry that was on the other side of the street ;)

And the first things the Canadians and Euros start to do when you meet them is to brag about their health care plans and funded retirement programs. Dammit ;(

Those are obviously "small picture" folks. Of course if you are not smart enough to make your own decisions and are more comfortable with government bureaucrats making your decisions, they may have better systems.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #9858
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Are there any difficulties with having both a truck and a 5th Wheel under one name and traveling in Mexico mainland? How would you take a moto along?
tricepilot is correct on that. when my wife and i were living in mexico we drove down w/ a trailer and my DR650 on it. 2 separate $300 deposits.
the suv/trailer went in her name and the bike in mine. 1 person traveling alone could not have had all those together.

now i did see plenty of unplated small bikes going down paved roads, but i rode every day all over the place and wanted to be 100% legal on my bike.
the suv was in her name, but i drove it everywhere. when driving i was asked once for the vehicles paperwork and the person did not care i was driving and it was in her name.

i think the easiest way for 1 person to drive down and have a "bike" with them would be a 125 yamaha zuma scooter w/ the tag pulled of it. most all scooters do not have tags in mexico and i saw them everywhere. the cops don't even bother them.

the trick would be a smaller looking one but with a bigger motor, say a 125 zuma with a 155kit. those can go down dirt roads well enough too.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr.../608/home.aspx
http://www.scootertronics.com/yazu125hipee.html
http://www.zumasrus.com/zdox/125prod1.html

you could pull all the stickers off of this (and throw some of your own just to make it look used) and rock it all day long w/o a tag and no one would know it's a FI 300cc motor
http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/sco...00i/index.html
i'd better you could mount some black painted mesh screen on the lower front to protect from rock being kicked up plus put some 16" dirt bike tires on it and ride dirt roads too.

this is suppose to be very fast for a 150 and dead honda reliable to boot
http://powersports.honda.com/2013/pcx.aspx
http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/scooter.html

now would you bother to add it to you vehicle's TVIP or just bring it with is another story?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 01:45 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #9859
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
You can put the motorcycle on the truck's TVIP. But it cannot be legally driven on-road in Mexico, plated or not, when brought in as a recreational vehicle (second listing on the TVIP). With or without a plate, you can take it off road all you like (there is one exception) The truck's TVIP will display its full VIN, the last 4 of the motorcycle will be displayed. A second vehicle on a TVIP is considered a recreational vehicle. One plated/road legal vehicle per TVIP is the rule. You CAN put a plated motorcycle on a truck/tow vehicle's TVIP - it just can't be legally driven on the pavement. Would you get caught? I'll leave that debate to others. Its up to you to decide your risk exposure.

I think that Trice has this nailed down pretty well with a couple of anecdotal comments:

There used to be a ton of RVers going into Mexico but between the economy and the shooting that has died off.

I have had several RVers tell me that they can bring their bike in and ride them. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. They always say that if the bike is attached to or carried inside the RV then you are good to go.

A lot of couples play games by having their vehicles in different names. Incidentally, that's part of the reason that the ex- girlfriend was able to steal my property, so be careful guys. In more ways than one.

It used to be pretty well known in the RGV that if one location turned you down for permits that you just drove elsewhere. And I did hear that one of the crossings would give RVers their permits without seeing the RV; you could walk in from the US, get your permits, walk back, and stick the stickers on yourself.

Several states don't require vehicle permits. Tamaliupas and both Bajas don't care (ever wonder how they get all of those trucks, bikes, RVs and transporters down there for the Baja races?). I don't know if they are checking for permits at the toll booths coming off the bridge in downtown Tampico but if you ride around Tampico on the west side there are no permanent inspections for permits although the Transitos over there are notorious for getting morbida from the RVers.

So .... You could legally permit your bike and not your RV, and drive as far as the Veracruz state line, then unload the bike and ride further. That is legal.

Or take the whole combination further south. That's not legal but if you have a sticker on your bike and claimed confusion you probably wouldn't get the book thrown at you.

Or permit the motor home and bike per what Trice said and take your chances with the bike on the road.

When we were discussing places to live in Mexico the issue of multiple vehicles is pretty much making me think of finding a place on the US side, probably literally in the barrio where I can see the border at the end of the street. Unless you buy a Mexican license and pay healthy Mexican taxes then you cannot have multiple bikes in Mexico on a personal basis.

I have looked into buying a Land Rover and a BMW motorcycle in Mexico and both times it was just painfully expensive, both in terms of purchase price as well as taxes.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #9860
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Those are obviously "small picture" folks. Of course if you are not smart enough to make your own decisions and are more comfortable with government bureaucrats making your decisions, they may have better systems.
spoken by someone who clearly has no idea how the Canadian system works
Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #9861
PirateJohn
Banned

Bob, I am pretty sure he was joking. Hence the smiley.

Another data point on the subject of bikes, motor homes, and permits: Sonora either requires no vehicle permits or they have a hybrid system - I have heard both. I don't have my good Mexican maps handy but you can legally take your unpermitted RV down to something like Hermosillo and unload your bike. You can certainly run to San Carlos, which used to be popular with RVers and probably still is.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #9862
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,106
Quote:
Several states don't require vehicle permits. Tamaliupas and both Bajas.....
You have the wrong combination of locations.

Baja and portions of Sonora (mainly the western sector). And of course the "border zone".

Tamaulipas most definitely and assuredly requires a TVIP past the border zone.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #9863
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
So .... You could legally permit your bike and not your RV, and drive as far as the Veracruz state line, then unload the bike and ride further. That is legal.
Ahhhh.....no.

Sticking with what DJ posted, vis a vis driving a truck and pulling a 5th wheel, he would most dfefinitely have to TVIP the truck and claim his motorcycle as a recreational vehicle. If he were driving an actual powered RV, like the one in National Lampoon's Vacation, that RV would be the main vehicle on the TVIP and again the motorcycle would be listed as a recreational vehicle. The "vehicle of conveyance" always is the first vehicle listed with full VIN, the "recreational vehicle" is always referenced by the last 4 of its VIN displayed on the parent TVIP. As I said before, only one road destined vehicle per TVIP.

And like I said before, it is an entirely separate discussion/debate on when and if you would get caught or hassled.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #9864
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Happy Hour in San Miguel de Allende

Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #9865
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Mayte Prefers Motorcycles With ABS

Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #9866
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

We Have a Photo Finish

Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #9867
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Ahhhh.....no.

Sticking with what DJ posted, vis a vis driving a truck and pulling a 5th wheel, he would most dfefinitely have to TVIP the truck and claim his motorcycle as a recreational vehicle. If he were driving an actual powered RV, like the one in National Lampoon's Vacation, that RV would be the main vehicle on the TVIP and again the motorcycle would be listed as a recreational vehicle. The "vehicle of conveyance" always is the first vehicle listed with full VIN, the "recreational vehicle" is always referenced by the last 4 of its VIN displayed on the parent TVIP. As I said before, only one road destined vehicle per TVIP.

And like I said before, it is an entirely separate discussion/debate on when and if you would get caught or hassled.
Down in the Tapachula area, I have had my moto papers checked multiple times in the same day on MX200 by the Federalies/Military. They don't usually look at either my Passport or Tourist Visa, only the moto papers. I was checked twice at the same place one day! Once on the way to Tapachula and again on the way back! It is the only place in Mexico that I have ever had my moto papers checked. At the other locations, it is the Passport and Tourist Visa that they are interested in.

Would the 5th Wheel need a TVIP as well? I did not say it earlier, but having a truck and a 5th wheel in the states as my rolling home in addition to a rent house in Mexico is a strong consideration. Just thinking about the possibility of if a RV could take the place of a rent house. Of course, it had better be a good structure on an RV to stand up to the topes down there if you did much traveling.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #9868
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

TVIPs only apply to motorized vehicles.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #9869
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
TVIPs only apply to motorized vehicles.

How come I had to get permit for the trailer too....?On which I was towing the bike? It was one single permit but included truck trailer and bike
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #9870
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

From Our Currently Erupting Department

Spilling her guts right now in Guatemala, southeast of Atitlán and southwest of Antigua