Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #9871
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
How come I had to get permit for the trailer too....?On which I was towing the bike? It was one single permit but included truck trailer and bike
You didn't get a TVIP for a trailer.

To re-state again: The only item listed on the TVIP that is allowed to be driven on-road is the first vehicle listed. It will have its full VIN displayed. Your trailer isn't driveable and your bike is not allowed on-road.

I am attempting to illustrate to you that if you are asked for your TVIP downrange, you should be in/on the main vehicle listed (full VIN), or technically, there can be an issue.

I am not addressing non-driveable items like trailers or 5th wheels.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #9872
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
TVIPs only apply to motorized vehicles.
Thanks!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #9873
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,106
I could have worded that better, but I clarified it in subsequent posts.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #9874
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Thanks! I need to look into those boxes! Do I correctly gather that they will hold things that pysically do not fit into a certain size mail box or container?
That is correct. The place we use is privately owned, and a good business. Have used them for a few years now. The boxes are generally very small. Only hold letters and very small packages. They hold everything in the back, and put a slip in the box letting you know a package has arrived. You just sign for it and you're off! The few times I have been to the UPS store, I have seen some of the oversized packages just sitting unattended on the sales floor in a corner or against the wall. Would make me nervous to have any high dollar or sensitive items waiting for pickup to be sitting there. I don't imagine all those stores are the same, so shop around and see where you can trust. If you wanted to go through McAllen, I could recommend the place I use, but you will probably be more in the Del Rio-Laredo market.

One thing to be cautious of is how long they will hold your package. The place we use placed a rule of 5 days before they started charging. I don't remember what they charge, since they have never charged me. I don't think they actually would charge, unless it was a lot of stuff, and they held it more than a couple weeks.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #9875
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
spoken by someone who clearly has no idea how the Canadian system works
Sure I do! It works like any other government institution in the world. It takes your money and decides how much and under what circumstances it may give some of it back to you as "free stuff"! Then your politicians, just like ours, pat them selfs on the back and act as if they give you the "free stuff" out of their own pockets and should be rewarded for doing so.

I would rather keep my money and buy my own "free stuff"!

I suspect anyone that thinks they are getting back more than they paid need to get a loser fitting helmet! Of course, Canada, just like the US has a larger and larger percentage of folks that don't work and are not planning on working. They will be permanently supported by those that do work, or in my case, retired but still paying taxes. That comes under the INCOME REDISTRIBUTION MODEL and is whole other matter!

But Bob, since your are already retired and probably paid very well for what ever benefits you are receiving. Sit back and take it easy, retirement is great, is is not?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #9876
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
That is correct. The place we use is privately owned, and a good business. Have used them for a few years now. The boxes are generally very small. Only hold letters and very small packages. They hold everything in the back, and put a slip in the box letting you know a package has arrived. You just sign for it and you're off! The few times I have been to the UPS store, I have seen some of the oversized packages just sitting unattended on the sales floor in a corner or against the wall. Would make me nervous to have any high dollar or sensitive items waiting for pickup to be sitting there. I don't imagine all those stores are the same, so shop around and see where you can trust. If you wanted to go through McAllen, I could recommend the place I use, but you will probably be more in the Del Rio-Laredo market.

One thing to be cautious of is how long they will hold your package. The place we use placed a rule of 5 days before they started charging. I don't remember what they charge, since they have never charged me. I don't think they actually would charge, unless it was a lot of stuff, and they held it more than a couple weeks.
I was really interested in that part, but could find nothing on the net, except that there would be a charge. However, I guess that only apply to stuff that will not fit into the box you are paying for.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #9877
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
I was really interested in that part, but could find nothing on the net, except that there would be a charge. However, I guess that only apply to stuff that will not fit into the box you are paying for.
Yup just the stuff that won't fit in the box. Of course over time the regular mail, and junk mail will fill the box, so plan for that. I would imagine each place has it's own prices and times.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #9878
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

In Piedras Negras, I supose that a TVIP would only be required for those vehicles going further than Allende. Correct? I crossed at Nuevo Laredo when I returned to the US last time. It was my first time crossing there and was a breeze...... at mid-night. Anyway, I saw what I presumed to be the the end of the Frontera area on the outskirts of town. Is that correct and does that mean any vehicle that stays in the city of Nuevo Laredo does not need a TVIP? How far into Mexico is that line in Ciudad Acuna? Thanks!

Donnie
Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #9879
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
You didn't get a TVIP for a trailer.

To re-state again: The only item listed on the TVIP that is allowed to be driven on-road is the first vehicle listed. ...
I am not addressing non-driveable items like trailers or 5th wheels.
I do not know the current law, however, in 2006, the import procedure for combined truck, 5th wheel, and moto was:

(1) TVIP for the truck,
(2) Moto mounted on bumper (no plate) listed as remolque on the truck TVIP with last 4 of VIN only,
(3) Separate Recreational Vehicle Permit for the 5th wheel. So two permits, one TVIP and one RVIP. The RVIP was good for 10 years.

I kept a 5th wheel in Mexico for 3 years, but you are limited in where you can go with a large 5th wheel, not a lot of campgrounds with adequate voltage, etc near the autopista and the 5th wheel was too large to drive into most pueblos, so good route planning is necessary.

Here is some info,

http://www.mexicanconnection08.com/FAQMexicoTravel.pdf
Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #9880
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,482
Quote:
I could have worded that better, but I clarified it in subsequent posts.
Good job, Trice!

But what about side cars??

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #9881
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Leave it to Trice to post a picture of our favorite gay bar in town!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #9882
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Sure I do! It works like any other government institution in the world. It takes your money and decides how much and under what circumstances it may give some of it back to you as "free stuff"! Then your politicians, just like ours, pat them selfs on the back and act as if they give you the "free stuff" out of their own pockets and should be rewarded for doing so.........
Reminds me of a breakfast conversation in Durango with SR and a certain young Canadian adventure rider who extolled the virtues of the free health care system while pondering why Canadian-made electronics cost less in the USA. He had waited to buy his expensive electronics after he crossed the border.

Ain't nuthin' "free" but advice, folks.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #9883
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Leave it to Trice to post a picture of our favorite gay bar in town!
You sayin' those doors swing both ways?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #9884
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Reminds me of a breakfast conversation in Durango with SR and a certain young Canadian adventure rider who extolled the virtues of the free health care system while pondering why Canadian-made electronics cost less in the USA. He had waited to buy his expensive electronics after he crossed the border.

just for the record Cdn health care is not free and is not the reason electronics Cdn or otherwise cost more in Canada than the USA
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #9885
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

A lot of times advice isn't free !