Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #9931
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
Big trucks are a problem. I know one guy who lives north of here and he has a big IH flat bed. He can't get a permit so he runs it through some woman's ranch to get past the Aduana check points. I have Canadian drillers working at the local silver mine here and they have a Ford F550 with a small crane. They could not get a TVIP at KM21 south of Nogales but got one the same day at Agua Prieta. The did pay a mordita; its just different people interpreting the rules.

My understanding is that the 10 year permit is to allow you leave your camping trailer in Mexico when you drive back to the US. The whole deal is about the tax authorities keeping cars out unless they have been properly imported and fees paid. It isn't working. Every town away from the bigger cites is filled with US vehicles with expired US tags. The local cops don't care since they get no revenue from writing tickets or impounding them. That all goes to the feds. Smuggling cars in is easy if you have a gringo confederate at the wheel, not hard if you are Mexican with a US Visa.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #9932
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
So .. Mexadventure ACE insurance called they going to make me a check for 9k plus the add on's I paid 2500 pesos transportation from Durango to Acuna . Actually I paid 1500 to Torreon from there a friend of son who has 18 wheelrs brought it to the border and gave 1000 pesos tip to the chofer Im glad i was able to cancel the permit . havent be riding since need to make sure the foot welds well but getting close maybe in a couple of weeks will be heading back to Mexico.

Glad you are in Texas SR hope to see you tomorrow
Went by the shop this morning. They're making good progress on your bike rebuild.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #9933
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Went by the shop this morning. They're making good progress on your bike rebuild.

Training wheels? ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #9934
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Big trucks are a problem. I know one guy who lives north of here and he has a big IH flat bed. He can't get a permit so he runs it through some woman's ranch to get past the Aduana check points. I have Canadian drillers working at the local silver mine here and they have a Ford F550 with a small crane. They could not get a TVIP at KM21 south of Nogales but got one the same day at Agua Prieta. The did pay a mordita; its just different people interpreting the rules.

My understanding is that the 10 year permit is to allow you leave your camping trailer in Mexico when you drive back to the US. The whole deal is about the tax authorities keeping cars out unless they have been properly imported and fees paid. It isn't working. Every town away from the bigger cites is filled with US vehicles with expired US tags. The local cops don't care since they get no revenue from writing tickets or impounding them. That all goes to the feds. Smuggling cars in is easy if you have a gringo confederate at the wheel, not hard if you are Mexican with a US Visa.

I am still a little rattled over the recent comments here about needing vehicle permits in Tamaulipas because I am pretty sure that wasn't the case a few years ago. You used to see tons of Texas plates in Victoria and Tampico and I remember the guys at the checkpoint south of Matamoros in 2006 not giving a rat's ass about our vehicles although they wanted to see our tourist visas.

I have run across nice travel trailers with expired US plates stashed in some weird spots and often thought that someone was hiding them from the repo guy.

When I rode into Sonora in 1999 I was just getting interested in RVing and ran across several individuals and groups with nice RV's and bus conversions (and plenty doing things on a budget, too, I might add) but in the last several years I have seen few RVers in Mexico in this eastern part of the country.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #9935
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I am still a little rattled over the recent comments here about needing vehicle permits in Tamaulipas because I am pretty sure that wasn't the case a few years ago.
Let me help you out. Hold still.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #9936
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Let me help you out. Hold still.

The guy fixin' to get the slug is a good friend of mine from Marfa. Too funny. BTW i'm at the pinche mall La Cantera. I've seen my first $350 skinny legged kacki britches. Ejole! "Hey, what's this all about?" Slug. Creepy, scary movie.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #9937
PirateJohn
Banned

Creepy, scary movie ... And filmed up the road from here and over in Piedras Negras as I recall.

Just another fun week in the oil patch, Amigos. Anyone want to go huntin' around here? ;)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #9938
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Sonora has a free zone, laughingly referred to by the Aduana SAT tax people as the "Hassle Free Zone". Per the map that someone put up yesterday, the free zone in Sonora is From Agua Prieta (Douglas) north of Mexico HWY 2 West to Mexico HWY 15 and south to Empalme. That puts San Carlos, Kino Bay and Peñasco in the no permit required zone.

As for the rest of the state of Sonora, you have 2 options. You can get the full blown national permit and pay a deposit of $200,$300 or $400. As of last June, they actually charge your credit card where in the past they threatened to charge you if you did not return the permit. You can also get "Sonora Only" which is goo for the whole state. The Rio Sonora, the Sierra Madre, Yecora and Alamos and the cities of CD Obregon and Navojoa all require on or the other type of permit. With the Sonora Only, you pay $50 and there is no deposit. The permit will always be conterminous with your visa - 7days for free or 180 days for a fee. If you cross at Douglas/AP, or Naco (when they re open) you can get a Sonora Only. If you cross at Nogales and try to get a Sonora Only at the Banjercito at KM 21 they will tell you you have to go to Empalme. Crazy. I have a full national on my Tiger, My wife has Sonora Only on the Suburban. Once past the Checkpoits at 30 KM (Fronteres, Mututicachi and San Antonio, you chances of being stopped for a permit check are almost nil. I drove my Suburban to Moctezuma this week to pick up a stranded biker. The trailer has expired plates and is not on the permiso. No one gave me a 2nd look.

The tourist interests outside the free zone are trying to get all of Sonora Free Zone - no permits needed like Baja and Baja Sur. If you want to help, send a pm. There is a bunch of info on permits I put together at http://www.losarcossonora.com/index....ps/attheborder.
Thanks for the information...I'll be down in Douglas this winter and going south, not sure where yet...

Steve
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #9939
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,678
Quote:
Harley's, Gold Wings, K1200LT's. All so big you can live on them ;)
I have a pop-up camper trailer to pull behind my Goldwing and you can buy it all! It even has an air-conditioner!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #9940
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I have a pop-up camper trailer to pull behind my Goldwing and you can buy it all! It even has an air-conditioner!
Do you have to de-install the Cappuccino maker to put in the Ben and Jerry's ice cream dispenser or do they both just slide into the dash?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #9941
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Old Lady and I had a K1200LT. I can relate. Although I prefer the lighter stuff and a motel room when possible ;)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #9942
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Fabulous dinner on the Riverwalk with SR & family, Jimmex & SO, Schizzman, WhiskeySmith, and me.

SR's laptop with photos and videos of Mexico adventures was the perfect dessert.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #9943
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you have to de-install the Cappuccino maker to put in the Ben and Jerry's ice cream dispenser or do they both just slide into the dash?

They all fit beside the Laz Boy recliner!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #9944
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Old Lady and I had a K1200LT. I can relate. Although I prefer the lighter stuff and a motel room when possible ;)

I only rode the Goldwing when Sheryl was with me. We did a lot of camping in the US and Canada pulling a cargo trailer and using a tent. The camper was bought after an unbelievably wet Northwet tour. We only got to use it four nights before Sheryl died! But, we had big plans!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #9945
PirateJohn
Banned

Donnie, that breaks my heart to read about your wife's death. All that I can say is that seeing things like that reinforces my desire to get out and enjoy life while we can.