Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #10006
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

No one can say that SR lacks a sense of humor. Can't wait to show that to my wife, she will probably double the amount of my LIP.
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #10007
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
Listen, I have heard a few reports and some talk about Mexico but, since planning my ride I have been overwhelmed with this negativity. Two people have gone as far as to call me a fool to my face. Now really there are alot of things I could have done with the winter months,...snow bird to Florida or just grin and bear it, watch alot of TV and see the world on a flatscreen. But I am an adventurer. Always have been.

So, now I will give it one more chance to find someone with something positive to say about riding solo thru Mexico on a Honda Shadow.

thanks from Oklahoma
-Dale

www.twowheelsthreeamericas.com

I know it's old, but I love it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIpjKMKhQs
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #10008
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Listen, I have heard a few reports and some talk about Mexico but, since planning my ride I have been overwhelmed with this negativity. Two people have gone as far as to call me a fool to my face. Now really there are alot of things I could have done with the winter months,...snow bird to Florida or just grin and bear it, watch alot of TV and see the world on a flatscreen. But I am an adventurer. Always have been.

So, now I will give it one more chance to find someone with something positive to say about riding solo thru Mexico on a Honda Shadow.

thanks from Oklahoma
-Dale

www.twowheelsthreeamericasom
Some of the very best times I've had on a motorcycle were experienced while riding solo across México. I've put some miles on a Honda Shadow and consider it more than adequate even for some of the easy offroad stuff I do.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 07:14 AM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #10009
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Hell, we don't know.

Only the Shadow knows.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #10010
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Am sitting in Bandera, TX today getting Schlitz faced. Heading up North in a few days. You Border and Mexican travelers need to be scared ;)

Seriously, I hope to have time in a few weeks to ride to the Border. After that if the gate guarding gig holds there should be plenty of riding ops.
Did you ride the three sisters on your way to Bandera?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #10011
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Airdale. I’ve read through your posts here and your blog. I’ve concluded that you are un gringo tonto y mas pendejo que nunca. You should probably stay home and continue to dream about being a badass on a motorcycle for a few more years while building up your knowledge about riding and about your bike before you go fucking around south of the border. I mean you are taking a rider safety course as prep for your ride to the bottom of the Earth. WTF?

Now that we have gotten the niceties out of the way, there are three people on this website, who as a minimum, you need to start sucking butt for their knowledge. Crashmaster, Misery Goat, and Tricepilot. If you haven’t already, study their ride reports. Take the dream aspect out of their ride reports and focus on the important shit like RISK MANAGEMENT, maintenance and repairs, lodging, accidents, hassles encountered on the way, getting sick, border crossings, etc. Not sure all three of these guys will have time to fuck with you, but I would surely study their ride reports and then ask them in-depth questions.

How well do you know your bike? Your Shadow is probably okay for the ride, but do you know how to fix a broken chain, repair a flat, a broken cable, etc.? Have you even thought about tube vs. tubleless? Can you make repairs on the road, and know the basic tools and parts you need? Does your fuel tank give you enough range? I know you checked your mileage on that, but is that enough?

You are inviting strangers to ride with you? What are you going to do when you wake up in the middle of the night with one of these strangers jacking off in your face? Get serious pal.

Now, if you want a good laugh, I ride a CB250 in Mexico, solo. Think about it

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 08:12 AM
Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #10012
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
But, you meet the nicest people on a Honda.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #10013
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Save your money and your life

I wouldn't travel in Mexico on a bet. Beautiful people, beautiful country, but corruption, robbers, and drug lords make entry really unsafe.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #10014
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
What are you going to do when you wake up in the middle of the night with one of these strangers jacking off in your face?
Gee, is Peter Egan going to write a column about that?
Have you got the advance clips of the next Long Way adventure?????

Seriously, if someone is telling you not to ride in Mexico and they have not ridden in Mexico, nor had much experience even as a tourist in Mexico, just don't listen to them. They are full of sht. Period.

Get on your Shadow, ask around on Horizons Unlimited or this forum and see if anyone is going and wants a buddy to ride with, or just do it solo.
Your Honda will be fine, you won't have any psychological scarring (not the lasting type anyways) from nocturnal events nor emissions.

Ask your friends how people who live in Mexico ride in Mexico? Do we all hide out in our homes and never venture out? No, we live here and ride here and
don't listen to BS but pay attention to legit info.

MikeMike screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 08:16 AM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #10015
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
But, you meet the nicest people on a Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Gee, is Peter Egan going to write a column about that?
Lol!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #10016
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
I wouldn't travel in Mexico on a bet. Beautiful people, beautiful country, but corruption, robbers, and drug lords make entry really unsafe.
But he's taking a rider safety course! Don't they teach you how to zig-zag around bullets?

Entry into Mexico is easy and perfectly safe, and besides drug lords have nothing to do with making it safe or unsafe.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #10017
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
I live full time in Mexico and in over 5 years, we have paid 2 mordidas (bribes) One was to save 2 hrs at the border in really bad weather and the other was to get out of a traffic ticket in Hermosillo - again to save an hour. Corruption in Mexico, like in the USA, is moving up the ladder. Google "Walmart bribes Mexico"

Completely safe here, no problems and I feel safer here than in Phoenix. So ask your self the question, if there are over a million Americans living in Mexico, what do they know that you don't?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #10018
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
E
Quote:

thanks from Oklahoma
-Dale

I have ridden solo and in groups all through Baja, Sonora and south. We get lots of solo riders coming through and staying at our hotel here in Banámichi. Look at ADV rider "jickmagger" and look at "hewby" who just left here sola on here way south. The most important thing here is to stay aware. If it feels wrong then it is wrong. Screw your plans and get the hell out of the situation. Yes, bad things can happen but look at the this statistic - Mexico and the US have about the same number of traffic fatalities a year at 35000. But Mexico has a third the population of the US. The narcos don't give a shit about you but neither does the drunken trunk driver who had a fight with his girlfriend and is late to deliver a load of poorly stacked logs coming down from the mountains.

Your Shadow would not be my first choice but I have ridden one in Mexico and it will be fine. There are about 50 Sonoran Riders visiting 2 towns south, most out of Hermosillo and they are all on cruisers from 250cc up to HDs. They ride hard and do fine.

Do your research and find out where you can get tires on your route. The bigger cities will have bike shops. Do the research. And bring a chain and sprockets. Put on a new chain with a master link now and bring one along. An endless chain will be a hassle and you will need to have more tools. Put "Ride-on" in your tires.
I don't know how many miles you have on the 750 and what your maintenance has been like and how good you are with a wrench.

If your goal is to just get through Mexico as quickly as possible then stay on the Quota - toll road. You will burn lots of pesos and see lots of semis but not much of Mexico. It is the safe thing to do but not the best thing.

Remember, 113 million people live in Mexico. Almost all of them are good, hardworking, honest and friendly people but there are a few bad actors.

And choose your riding partners carefully. I like to ride solo because the only ass-hole I have to deal with is me.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #10019
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Is the ferry still operating in Eagle Pass? If so I want to cross there in about two weeks.

Ferry in Eagle Pass? Huh?
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #10020
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Ferry in Eagle Pass? Huh?
Yeah, I saw that He must be talking about Los Ebanos.

On another note, thinking about riding down to Paracho and shipping a guitar back, a Francisco Navarro negra. Anybody got experience with shipping goods back into the US? Otherwise I'll just take the bus down and back.

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 10:20 AM