Oddometer: 8,207
Nice road.

All that's missing is "U"

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #10097
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 858
Nope, no bears, the sign says so. In fact all 11 signs say the same thing. It's in the 90s F through there, maybe a bit hotter in August. It is fairly high between Mazatan and Sahuaripa
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #10098
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,228
I think my next trip will take me from A. Prieta down to your place, then down to Mex 16 and on to Creel, Batopilas, H. Del Parral then either to see SR or back through the Big Bend. Love that area.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #10099
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Just let us know, we will be here.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #10100
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Yes, we have lions and jaguars. I have not seen them but the ranchers show me photos. The real heat is from mid-july to the first 2 weeks in September. The monsoon builds in and the humidity comes up. It is a pretty wet desert at that time, with storms almost daily. When it rains, everyone is happy and the kids are out playing in the rain and standing under the canales that carry the water off the roofs. We don't get to many tourists that time of year.

In July, we go to the warm springs to cool off. The cervezas are always cold.

Nice and cool this morning, around 70.

We would love to have you visit
Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #10101
jimmex
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Turkeycreek, I spent a couple of months doing geological field work on a copper project in your neighborhood, in the Sierra NW of Moctezoma, about half way to the Rio Sonora Valley. It was June and July and it got over 100 deg every single day! We got up at 4:00 and worked until noon. Then we'd jump in a luke warm river to cool down and go back to camp to sleep. That's all we could do!

I never saw a bear. I think it's too hot? but I distinctly remember that place having a lot of wildlife. Lots of deer and javali and also lots exotic birds. I remember seeing a few coral snakes and a boa constricter. I never saw one, but they say there is still a healthy population of lepards and mountain lions in that area. A nice area and a great place for naturalists, if you can handle the heat!

I have not been to Sonora in a while. I'll have to ride up and visit the hotel sometime! Maybe Jimmy will invite me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Yes, we have lions and jaguars. I have not seen them but the ranchers show me photos. The real heat is from mid-july to the first 2 weeks in September. The monsoon builds in and the humidity comes up. It is a pretty wet desert at that time, with storms almost daily. When it rains, everyone is happy and the kids are out playing in the rain and standing under the canales that carry the water off the roofs. We don't get to many tourists that time of year.

In July, we go to the warm springs to cool off. The cervezas are always cold.

Nice and cool this morning, around 70.

We would love to have you visit
We used to ride the Sierra El Gato just East of there between Huachinera and Mesa Tres Rios and I guarantee there are bear in that Sierra, much of it above 3000m, unless they've been hunted out by pendejos. SR, why don't you mount the Wee and ride out there to Banamichi and we'll ride back to Durango, the interesting way. Also, I've figured out the perfect way to get your next dirt bike in w/o papeles.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #10102
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
WOW Arte, are you leaving at 5 AM? Are you trying to be the first Mexican to ride a motorcycle before 7 in the morning! Usually when I ride with Mexicans, 8 means 9 and 7 also means 9. Then at 9, we go eat breakfast and get on the road at 10.

I was checking out the website. That route looks nice. Nice and green!
Suerte!
Not Arte! He is very serious about traveling and maintaining a strict schedule. I enjoy riding with him since we don't spend a lot of time BSing, and actually getting places, so that we can BS by the campfire.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #10103
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

SR, Here is a route. Cross at Nogales into the Sonora free zone. No permit needed. Hwy 15 to Magdalena de Kino. From Magdalena, Hwy 54 southe east through Cucurpe to Sinoquipe (really nice) then 089 to Banamichi. No puntas de revision. From here, ride the Rio Sonora route to Mazocahui, then Mex 14 to Moctezuma. Rare to see cops of any kind on this part of 14. From there you can go south to Mex 16 at San Nicolas or avoid the fed hwy (better idea) and go east from Moctezuma on Son 21 to el Coyote then south to Nacori Chico the west to Chihuahua. No Aduana check points. The only places I have ever had my TVIP checked is in Mututicahi, south of Cananea and Fronteras, south of AP. (plus the ferry from Baja back to the Mainland) I have ridden the quota (Mex 15) to Navojoa then to Alamos without being stopped in Empalme - no gates there anymore, voluntary stop. I keep my sticker in the tank bag with the permit. Military check points, federale checkpoints and the occasional local Barny Fife checkpoints, no one outside the two I mentioned ever ask for the TVIP. Can I say that it will never happen? Can I recommend that you blatantly ignore the rules and put your bike at risk for confiscation? No. But I have not seen or heard of anyone having a issue in 5 plus years here. There are many variations to this route and there are ways around the check points by paying land owners to open ranch gates.

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 04:35 PM Reason: correction
Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #10104
jimmex
Rider

Quote:
Sounds tempting I'll get in touch with you about nailing down a date.

I would like to hear how to get a dirt bike in to Mexico without paying import taxes. I just sold the KLR earlier this week and plan to bring down another bike this winter. The new KTM-500 XCW looks nice! It is about 20% cheaper in the US than Mexico. That is where your plan comes in. I think I know what you are thinking. Bring it into the no TVIP zone of western Sonora and then ride it off road to Chihuahua?
Well, sort of. The TVIP free zone is clear over on the Nogales/Puerto Peñasco hwy IIRC. My plan is much more devious and exciting. I involves simply riding across at A. Prieta and instead of taking the Hwy toward Moctezuma, we surreptitiously take the route down to the Bavispe River riding the riverbed (its a brecha track mas o menos) for much of the way popping out on the pavement to Bavispe pueblo and Huachinera. From there you can take dirt more or less all the way to HWY 16. Sound intriguing?

jimmex screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 05:16 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #10105
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,981
SR, good one about the planned ride timelines here getting somewhat blurry (7 means 9:30 unless it is a nice sunrise and then it means 9:15 if the kids are awake and watching Chavelo etc...).

Over here, we usually hit the road between 6:30 and 7am but that is just so we can BS at the gas stop and tire check (this cannot be done the night before because...well...who knows why, but it just isn't done LOL!). That usually puts us at the "local" lena for a woodfire cooked cecina or huevos con longoniza (with jalapenos and plenty of onions so you can stink all day) with fresh tortillas hand made by women who have been doing this for 60 years and have earned seniority or "senoraity".

Ok, so who is in for the La Esperanza deal? Or even a ride through the area and a donation to the school?

Let's get a list going.
I don't think there are any bears but I did see a jaguarundi once near la Laguna de Farfan but oddly enough I have never found the laguna at Laguna de Farfan, I wonder if there even is one?????
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #10106
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Geez, with all this information obout the location of police checkpoints and how to go around them have ya'all considered a different line of work?:evil

[IMG
[/IMG]

What do you need?

With Nogales just about 2 hrs west of AP, it is quick and simple. You can also cross at AP, take hwy 2 to Cananea then over the mountain over to Hwy 15 in Imuris. A fantastic mountain road infested with semis, some of them dobles, creeping up the hills and burning their brakes down hill while half in your lane. It is rare to not see a roll over on that section and I've seen 2 trailers burning, probably from overheated brakes. I won't do it in the Suburban, I can handle it on el Tigre but I don't like it
Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #10107
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Ok, so who is in for the La Esperanza deal? Or even a ride through the area and a donation to the school?

Let's get a list going.
I'm in!

I'm heading to Xalapa and will be staying a week. I want to ride the area as much as possible: the alternative is hanging out with my in-laws :)

Sent via digitally decoded smoke-signals...
Old 09-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #10108
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
... the alternative is hanging out with my in-laws :)
This could be the single best reason anyone could ever have for following my line through a corner!

So, are you going to be based in Xalapa, CraneG?
Let me know if you'll need directions, you'll likely take the route through Alto Lucero via Avenida Chedrahui and then from Alto Lucero to Plan de las Hayas and then a left to La Esperanza. If you do, watch out for where the road disappears after a little rise, it'll scare the sht out of you. I did that in daylight, but I think Arte or Andres or one of their group did it at dusk. You'll know the place when you get to it!

Or if you really want something to tell your grandkids about, take the route to Naolinco via Banderilla then take the route to Mafafas via Tepetlan.
On second thought, don't!
I took it once and thought I was going to be writing a note with my fingernails in the clay that would go something like: "Day 23, I have eaten my boots..."
SR might like that route, a couple of very interesting river beds up there, and of course the clay, however it is likely to be flooded right now. The single biggest quantity of goats I have ever seen was at the start of that route and they were coming towards me and I was dumb enough to keep on going.
Sometimes you should follow the goats.

See you soon!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #10109
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Yes, I'll be in Xalapa from next Saturday. I'll have a fully executed, notorized kitchen pass in-hand and I plan to use it.

A client has asked me to go to Angola, so this might be my last ride. Look out for me on CNN.

Ahhh the goats. It's well known that there is a breed of goat in Mexico that gets turned on by motorcycle exhaust noise and likes to mate with front wheels at 80 mph. They often die during sex and legend has it that if they go down on the road, they turn into topes. Their spirit lingers on however, and this might explain why Harleys and their loud pipes have so much trouble with speed bumps here.
The noise of a Harley exhaust scraping over concrete and a goat's "O-Noise" are remarkable similar. Coincidence? I think not...!

True story, Bro! :

Sent via digitally decoded smoke-signals...

Craneguy screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 04:09 PM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #10110
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,632
That's some good shtuff, right there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote