Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Pretty good! What's the story there?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #10172
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Our Man from Jalisco

Spent the day riding and sipping ice tea on the Riverwalk with our famous brother

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #10173
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I will be there on Saturday.

I'll be in Los Angeles on that Friday (19th) but get back to San Antonio mid-day.

Will be riding my Triumph (Rocket III) there as well.
Cool. We will look for you.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #10174
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Great band Kiko! I spent a night dancing to their music in Ajijic a few years back.
Stoner!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #10175
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasandasphalt View Post
Two Border Patrol Agents shot this AM in AZ, One fatal!!!!!!!....... check out article on 'DRUDGE REPORT' for all the latest.........
Statement of FBI Special Agent in Charge James L. Turgal, Jr. regarding the status of the investigation into the October 2, 2012 shooting of two U.S. Border Patrol agents near Naco, AZ

While it is important to emphasize that the FBI’s investigation is actively continuing, there are strong preliminary indications that the death of United States Border Patrol Agent Nicholas J. Ivie and the injury to a second agent was the result of an accidental shooting incident involving only the agents. The FBI is utilizing all necessary investigative, forensic, and analytical resources in the course of this investigation. We thank the United States Customs and Border Protection, United States Border Patrol, and the Cochise County Sheriff’s Office, for the challenging work they do every day and for their ongoing cooperation in this difficult matter. At the appropriate time further information will be provided, but while the investigation continues it would be inappropriate to comment any further at this time.

The FBI extends our deepest sympathy and condolences to the family, friends and co-workers of Nicholas Ivie and to our partners in the United States Border Patrol.

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 06:36 PM Reason: bad text color
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #10176
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Mexico Insurance

Ok, someone tell me if I HAVE TO HAVE insurance to cross the border. Are they going to ask for insurance verification? Is one company better than another? It seems Sanborns doesnt want to insure against theft.

airdale7 screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 08:24 PM Reason: spelling error
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #10177
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

site:advrider.com mexico insurance

Copy the above and paste into the Google search box.

Read any of the various and frequent threads on Mexico insurance. Your question has been asked ad nauseam and there exists for you a few clicks away all you would ever want/need to know about riding Mexico and buying or not buying insurance and the various nuances to the subject.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #10178
DirtRider....
Wandering Turtle

Oddometer: 281
Friendly fire....
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #10179
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
got it, thanks
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #10180
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Also see post #2 to this thread, Appendix A for my standard advice on the topic.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #10181
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Andres and Arte planned out a Rally Ruta Cafe in La Esperanza. Details I have are that it is an off road type rally and all proceeds are going to the local public school in La Esperanza. Schizz and Donny were on the extreme northern edge of what Arte and Andres call "Greenland" last time they were through. La Esperanza is a friendly little village northwest of Veracruz, it is inland from Palma Sola and is smack dab in the middle of the best coffee country in Veracruz, in my opinion. I plan on riding up at least one day with the Mystery Rider and make a donation to the school but I won't be in the actual event. Good riding in the area, you can connect with a fantastic road that goes up from Misantla to Naolinco and you will really, really like that road. Ask Schizz and Donny about that route and the food in Naolinco is great. Andres' family have more than a century of coffee growing history in the area. They really know coffee!

RALLY DE MOTOS, CUATRIMOTOS Y UTV, LOS DIA 12, 13 Y 14 DE OCTUBRE DEL 2012 EN "LA ESPERANZA" EVENTO ORGANIZADO PARA REUNIR FONDOS A FAVOR DE LA ESCUELA PRIMARIA "ENRIQUE C. REBSAMEN", INSCRIPCION $300.00, PREMIO A LOS PRIMEROS LUGARES DE LAS DISTINTAS CATEGORIAS.

RALLY “LA RUTA DEL CAFÉ” 2012

Details here:

http://www.400cc.com.mx/noticias/nt3620.html

OCTUBRE 12, 13 Y 14.

REGLAMENTO DEL RALLY “RUTA DEL CAFÉ” LA ESPERANZA, MPIO. DE JUCHIQUE DE FERRER, VERACRUZ.

T minus 4 !!

Lets get riding! Plan is one leg from Reynosa to La Esperanza (about 900 km).

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #10182
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider.... View Post
Friendly fire....
Give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #10183
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Mexico Spanish lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I'm dropping your name, Amigo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
T minus 4 !!

Lets get riding! Plan is one leg from Reynosa to La Esperanza (about 900 km).
Read this if you can
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #10184
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Major Hochstetter

Very clearly and well stated Pedro. I am appropriately chastened and like your idea of a thread in the basement on this as I would be particularly interested in the take that the frequent Mexico riders and riding expats have on this subject. I think that you might admit that content sometimes diverges from your succinct statement of purpose.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #10185
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Cool2

So how far south of Mexico can you go before sport bikes should be left at home & you really need more versatility on the average roads that a DS would provide?

Ok, long rant but after reading all 10,5XX posts in the thread I'll chime in too.

Ya, white guy from Alabama... But go ahead and shelf the racial pretenses if you possibly can.
Is Mexico safe? Hell... It's safer than here!?!

Birmingham, Alabama is a city of LESS than 90,000 inhabitants. The vast majority are black. However, the "metro" area of Birmingham is a little more than a million population wise. (white-flight). So here's the thing... How in hell does a city of less than 90,000 people have one of the highest number of murders of any city in the last 5+ years?
I DID NOT SAY MURDER RATE as in murders:population. I said flat out number of murders!? It was only just in 2005 AND 2006 that the sole city of Birmingham, Alabama had more murders for the first quarter of those years than New York City, Chicago AND WATTS (in L.A.) COMBINED!? (>100 murders per year on a sub 100,000 population...) And that wasn't including two smaller cities (suburbs of Birmingham) which also have a bad history of having ridiculous murder rates.

Ok so put Birmingham aside. I live in a beautiful little suburbs. Very friendly. A town of about 4,000 people outside of a small city of around 15,000 (about 20 miles outside of Birmingham. Of corse if I keep going another 20 miles away from birmingham it's not the gang-bangers that are the issue. It's stereotypical white trash running meth labs...). VERY noted for the insane number of churches (and very large churches). VERY nice and friendly place. And yet after school one day a neighbor comes over trying to beat our door down & break into our house!? Get's in the house & my dad goes wrestling with him. I have to go pull one of my damn .30-30 lever action hunting rifles out of the closet and run the lever in his face to freeze him... (Cha-Chick baby!)

Fast forward a couple years. At the time (Freshman in college) I was 5'6, in great shape, but only about 130# soaking wet. We're out having a good time and this little gang-banging thug get's put off when my buddy won't let him dance with his date. And I do mean little (he was shorter than I was). Everybody has a good time, forgets all about it. We walk out of the club and he jumps out and plunges a knife in my friend's stomach, I run up behind him as he's falling back & catch him, turning around. Guy slashes my lower back 3 times & takes off. Of corse "nobody saw nothin"... So lets go over this situation. A 6'3 220lb (really well over that) outside linebacker on scholarship to a university in the south (we take our fooseball serious!) get stabbed to death by a guy about 5'5 in one big stick in the stomach.... Despite the fact that three out of five of us in our group (including him) had years of basic first aid training (boy scouts), AND that we were 3 blocks from one ER, FIVE blocks to a level-1 trauma ER and seven from another ER that was had a level-1 trama center. He goes into shock and dies before he's even on the gurney.

The MOST uncomfortable "unsafe" feeling place I've ever been in my life is Belize. By a mile too! But I never got hassled. Never strange looks, glaring or anything that'd even put me in "condition orange". I've been throughout the carribbean on cruises, never felt unsafe... Been all across the US & never felt unsafe. Been up and down the east coast of Mexico (cruises & car trips) never felt unsafe. And I never stay in the tourist "compounds" they're building everywhere. I'd still rather walk around Belieze with a rifle at night before I walked Birmingham any hour of the day without a pistol...
If somebody wants to shoot you, you're going to get shot. It's that simple.

So where is anybody ever "safe"? I stay my pasty white butt out the hood in Birmingham just like I stay out of the shady spots anywhere else. The only difference in Mexico and the US is at least in *some* parts of the US you can carry without too much hassle (and that is changing...) Do what my very smart grandfather always said, "You can't outsmart everybody, but you can out-dumb anybody". There is no limit to how aloof and inept you can pretend to be. Dumb people can act smart, but smart people are much better at acting dumb...
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote