Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 826
Not Carlos Slim. Carlos brings banditry to a whole new level
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #10262
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,175
I don't think I'll ever stop leering at the irresistibly beautiful mexican women, but I pledge to try not to get too drunk.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #10263
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I pledge to try not to get too drunk**
** Before noon
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #10264
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,028
Hey, Trice. Salma on Letterman next up. ;)
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #10265
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
And there in lies the difference between what is considered "muy cabron" and "muy chingon".

I don't know where you guys are getting your economics data but 4% growth down here is likely on the west side, it sure isn't over here. Calderon had a chance to really make some changes and he pissed it all away on a war he will never win and totally forgot the people except with the oppressive tax changes he made.
He started out very well with the closing of Luz y Fuerza and then got bogged down in the narco wars and forgot his policies for the poor, totally. The Hacienda became a fortress of fiscal terrorists who took a lot of small businesses to the cleaners with new requirements and taxes. He then spoke out against his party's candidate, as did Fox who was trying to curry favors with the PRI for this wife Martha's business dealings in her little fiefdom. Business as usual here. Gone are the days of the real PAN, that ended when Manuel Clouthier was killed.
Maybe some of you guys are in favor of legalizing drug use, as a matter of fact, small quantities for personal use have been legal for some time here. But the last thing I want to see are the beaches full of junky vacationers and a city as filthy as Amsterdam back in the 80's, thank you very much.
They are forecasting a big return of pochos here, and very little monies coming in from the illegals sending it south this coming year. I doubt Pena Nieto has any answers or the ability to even think through one coherent policy. I have a feeling that he, like his second wife, slept his way to the top. LOL!

Ahhhhh, now I feel better!

A la chingada con los politicos, because on Friday; La Esperanza, Andres, Arte, and the elusive Jaguarondi await!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #10266
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,503
heading south in 6 hrs... . better get some sleep.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #10267
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Leering

Looking is not leering... being an aficionado is not being aqualung. Getting boracho and puking on your shoes really is not cool... you guys know what I am talking about... I forget how literal you are. Are you all engineers and geologists?
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #10268
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Looking is not leering... being an aficionado is not being aqualung.
Had to call Ian to make sure he was ok with you using this reference
Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #10269
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
TurkeyCreek, I think the numbers reflect the local industry on your side. Cars and minerals/metals are more of a west coast thing except for Puebla and the motor plants around DF.

Arte and Andres, Espero que Steve y yo puedemos llegar manana, viernes, como las 9:30am en La Esperanza pero eso depende de las lluvias o quien sabes que. Todavia no se que el "Mystery Rider" que abuelo por el cuarto vez, va a llegar con nosotros, aye como son los pinche viejos ja,ja!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #10270
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
TurkeyCreek, I think the numbers reflect the local industry on your side. Cars and minerals/metals are more of a west coast thing except for Puebla and the motor plants around DF...
Disagree. Minerals/Metals is a northern Mexico thing. In fact Monclova is a steel town due to local ore and even their baseball team is called the "Steelers." There is a GM and a Benz plant in Saltillo. Cd. Acuna has a Ford plant. Monterrey has always been an auto town as that's one of the ways the Garza Sada family made their money with exclusivity to make Ford parts in Mexico.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #10271
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,664
There is also a huge GM plant east of Leon.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #10272
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 826
Big GM plant in Hermosillo, Ford is in Chihuahua, VW is in Puebla. Nissan is coming, don't know where
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #10273
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, I get what you are saying, however the leading steel producer at the moment is located on the west coast in Lazaro Cardenas.
The north, business like and industry heavy, such as Monterrey, has always been an engine of growth that pays the bills in Mexico. Puebla is the same on a slightly smaller scale.
The big problem is that Mexico might boast of nice round growth numbers but the fact remains that little of that reaches the population. Spending power in many locales will take a dip this year due to less remittances from the pochos. Not my speculation, but a fact that is proving true and was forecast earlier this year. Slim, tied tightly to his guru Alvin Toffler, might be the wealthiest man in the world, but there are still over 40% living in poverty and a daily minimum wage of about $10 US is never going to help things. Investments by foreign multinationals brings prosperity on a regional scale. The fact that so much of the infrastructure is so out of date makes for less of a rosy outlook for Mexico. Wait until Pemex has to begin replacing a few pipelines. Slim makes his fortune through monopolies.
I do not begrudge him, in fact, as a figurehead for many powerful Mexican families you have to admire the guy's incredible balancing act and ability to pick some real choice boxed trifecta winners.
What is going to happen is that the PRI will do the usual "we have big plans and your future is so bright you will have to wear sunglasses" BS slinging like they always have. Some big and ambitious projects will start and then peter out into the vicious cycle of corruption. A cycle of corruption that adds as much as 10% to the goods and services in the country and on top of the double digit IVA tax that is already there! Why do things cost more in Mexico? Well, you can add about 25% right off the bat with the federal tax and the cost of corruption.
When all is said and done, the Ford worker living in company housing with his kids in company schools and his health in the hands of company clinics and his recreation time spent in company rec centers and his wages spent in the area, he will benefit and his children will have a future (it is already into the second generation in those areas), but the guy planting beans or picking coffee on the mountain side in a less fortunate region of the country is going to get nothing but the same old same old. He is happy to simply survive and has learned to expect zero from the government. One is well taken care of and very productive, but the other is simply productive.
It's Mexico and that's the way it is and the way it will always be as long as the politicians continue to reap the benefits. Calderon and Fox both failed Mexico in working towards lessening regional disparity. They had the chance and it is a shame they both blew it. The current PAN is not a whole lot different from the PRI and the PRD is nothing more than old Pristas who couldn't ride enough of the gravy train to satisfy their needs. The PAN needs a massive house cleaning and a return to the days and values of Manuel Clouthier. Too many modern day Panistas have forgotten the sacrifice he made.
Hey, wait a minute! Sounds like a few other countries.

And to bring this back full circle, I am personally bien encabronado with Calderon because the damn cuotas have yet to be reduced to half for motos like they were supposed to be!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #10274
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Too long. No pics of Salma. Didn't read.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #10275
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Trice made me cry.
All that work for nothing.

Head over to RTW Paul's ride report and take a look at the chica he snapped on the street in Campeche.

Orale!