Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #11116
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
Yes, Jeff Lynne was one of the most underrated Brit musicos in history.
And for the record, Padre Kino is the absolute worst wine you could ever drink, it is so bad it has a cult status.

It is so bad, the vines feel like they have been brutally raped when they have given up their fruit for it.
I am surprised the UN has yet to subject its producers to a human rights inquiry. But hey! Buy me a bottle and we'll discuss it further! LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #11117
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Arguably the best Rock and Roll collective ever put together. Every one an enormous star, all retaining a certain humility and sense of humor. Even the band name is a joke. RIP Roy and George.

+100

I will never forget the first time that I heard Handle With Care and when they got to the chorus I remember thinking "Holy Mother of Pearl - that's Roy Orbison!"

"I'm so tired of being lonely
I still have some love to give"

Great stuff.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #11118
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
... Padre Kino is the absolute worst wine you could ever drink, it is so bad it has a cult status.
We bought some for the Carafes. The wine is so cheap is was cheaper to dump the wine then bring carafes down from AZ. To paraphrase Redd Foxx's comment about Ripple - "it's like Kool Aid with a hard on."
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #11119
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #11120
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habibi Rocks View Post
Well, I guess it's pretty clear from that pic that Mexico is definitely not safe.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #11121
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Kind of revives the debate about gear made of leather versus man-made fiber . I'm leaning towards leather at the moment.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #11122
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I am leaning more towards the bar stool rather than a fashion debate.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #11123
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habibi Rocks View Post
I passed out from the sudden rush of blood out of one head into the other.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #11124
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dust View Post
Just returned from Mexico this week and had a very unusual experience with the Mexican Army.

Rather than repeat it here, if interested, you can read about it in my ride report.
Nice report! I'll say that I saw one huge mistake in road choices: when the sign said Guada. left & PV right-you should have gone right!!! Guada. is a traffic jam!
As to MX Army/Marines I've been asked for a bribe once but basically they're bored & doing a job & I give the kid with the rifle some of my kiddo candy.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #11125
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
As to MX Army/Marines I've been asked for a bribe once
That would have been a very long time ago.
Unless you are confusing the military with the PFP forces that some time man checkpoints.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #11126
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal. The beef brisket is one of the nine beef prime cuts. The brisket muscles include the superficial and deep pectorals. As cattle do not have collar bones, these muscles support about 60% of the body weight of standing/moving cattle. This requires a significant amount of connective tissue, so the resulting meat must be cooked correctly to tenderize the connective tissue.
Y
You can get fresh brisket at any good market. I would not trust it at Wally World.

The Navajo are not Mexican or in any way related to the Mexicans (though we might get into a dialogue about the Athabascan diaspora) so kantuckid's comment is a bit mystifying. I have to say that in my four years of living on the Rez I never saw such a collection of lovelies. The Rez is a 25,000 square mile ghetto stuck in the middle of one of the most mineral wealthy parts of the US of A. Poor diet and lack of exercise take their toll in the hills of Kentucky just as they do on the Rez ...the after forty comment was gratuitous... The "dominant culture's" ways have not been kind to the "native" or "first nations" people's. What does this have to do with "is Mexico Safe". Damifino. I didn't bring it up. I do know that to get to Mexico from where I live I have to ride across the land of at least three distinct tribes and that it takes the better part of a day. The third world does not start at the Southern international border.
You lost me with the Navajo and "Rez" stuff? Did I miss something about the Navajo or 1st nations peoples? I grew up(KS) in the midst of indigenous types- Potawatomi (Prairie Band) Tribe & a few others-most were farmers & I worked in a factory with many of them, when we weren't drinking a beer.They were my neighbors & co-workers. I even dated a Kickapoo girl for awhile that my cousin fixed me up with- he was a Vista worker after Nam & worked with her on/near the rez. I certainly don't have any confusion about Mexico & other "peoples". Whats the secret about Appalachian poor diet or health. Cancer ,heart disease, diabetes rates,lung diseases,etc., are higher here,that's sadly common knowledge. What with KY's 1million adults out of a pop. of 4mil. lacking a HS credential, what do you expect?
I tried to blend in with a light hearted comment ,r.e., "senoritas" & that seems to have gotten feelings riled?
My brisket comment was based on the fact that it is far more common to have "corned" brisket in USA but no just plain old brisket. In fact, often the corned version is more available this time of year as that's a so-called tradition for January, why I don't know. They run "brisket sales" for that reason in Jan.. FWIW, my BIL, who lives in LOU,KY which obviously has plenty of stores, was @ my house eating some of ours & said he cannot find the non-corned version there, so I told him where to look. Just so happens, he's a "Walmart Hater" ( like you might be) & that ends that suggestion. FWIW, I was a supermarket mgr years ago,1960's & also worked in a packing plant- so not to make myself out as an expert, but we shop @ Walmart & the brisket there comes off an animal ,gets vac packed,dated & sold. They come from a federally inspected packing plant-It's all pretty simple. Tastes great! They are also cheaper than elsewhere,if you can find them elsewhere?
Relax...& enjoy some brisket. I didn't bring in Senoritas,native peoples nor brisket to this thread , just threw in my 2 cents on what too many tortillas will cause & a brisket recipe/meat source-Now, back to "Is Mexico Safe?" please...
In looking back at your avatar & Telluride address, I just now remember having a conversation while on vacation, with a guy about 15 yrs ago in Wally World there(that's an irony if I ever heard one!) and he was a school bus mech there. He was telling me how he was selling out after lifetime there as his grown kids couldn't afford to stay & he could take his " big money for his small place" & buy a better place in another CO town due to what I call "Aspenisation" of real estate in Telluride(and other mtn towns there) and was going to sell out to "the hippies". Pretty place/area, Telluride!

kantuckid screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 07:01 AM
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #11127
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That would have been a very long time ago.
Unless you are confusing the military with the PFP forces that some time man checkpoints.
2011-Typical road stop on hwy., kid trys for some pesos, I say no. he asks again & I said NO! Plenty of his buddies watching from the sandbags. The one and only time it's happened to me. Like many for others here, I'm sure, they sometimes do a bored as hell, half- assed inspection of a bag-I've had that a few times, but he asked for money-begged. He was not PFP, end of story.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #11128
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
I am leaning more towards the bar stool rather than a fashion debate.
No fashion debate, man, I'm leaning towards the leather.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #11129
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Nice report! I'll say that I saw one huge mistake in road choices: when the sign said Guada. left & PV right-you should have gone right!!! Guada. is a traffic jam!
As to MX Army/Marines I've been asked for a bribe once but basically they're bored & doing a job & I give the kid with the rifle some of my kiddo candy.
Route was determined by the Pata Salada MC.

Guadalajara was part of the route and we had no choice but to go through. And you are right, it was a major traffic jam. Major loss of time getting through there, but still required as part of the ride.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #11130
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
BTW I way, I saw your STROM and the "Prospector" parked at the restaurant at Buenos Aires, DGO in Wednesday afternoon. I remember thinking, what an odd couple of bikes to be together? I was going to say hi, but the restaurant was closed and I didn't see anyone around.

The description of the Espinazo in your RR is funny! Although, I'm not sure you convinced me to sign up for the next iron butt rally. Just because 100 Mexican bikers do something, doesn't make it a good idea. But to each his own. If you are into the iron butt stuff it looks like fun.

The 10th Army Division out of El Salto is well respected throughout this region. They take care of what needs to be done and leave the people alone. They are the ones who cleaned up the Espinazo and keep it safe for travelers.
Going back home through Durango I was thinking that I should have contacted you earlier and maybe would have had time to meet you.

Maybe next year (Nov again) you can come down for a part of the Rally. Doing the ride is not a requirement. We had 25 riders this year and probably 200-300 people who attended the Rally.

I can see why the 10 Army Division is so well respected. I was told that it is not their job to rescue dumb gringos that get stuck in the mountains, but they want to make sure that it is done right, so they do it. Through out the entire encounter with the Army I kept thinking that no one was going to believe this. It sounds almost as believable as my first "ride report". They really are a great bunch of guys. Went out of their way to do anything that they could to help us.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote