Mistake #1 Best not to party a night before you gonna ride
even better not party at all while traveling on a bike
sabiduría de las edades
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #11237
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Is anyone familiar with Petersen International Underwriters? (piu@piu.org) The more I look at their policy quote the more I lean toward them.. For a trip I have planned (first of the year) a $500.000 policy with a $500 deductible is $58. I can't find many reviews and always like to do a little homework first.. My work health insurance agent recommended them so I feel semi-comfortable using them.

Eligible Expenses:
-Hospital Expenses: All medically necessary expenses while hospitalized.
-Physician Services: All medically necessary expenses for treatment.
-Skilled Nursing Facilities: All medically necessary expenses if confinement begins following a medically necessary hospital
confinement of 3 days or longer.
-Home Health Care: All medically necessary expenses if hospitalization would have been required if Home Health Care was not provided and the care is provided in accordance with a written plan established, approved and followed by a physician.
-Ambulance Services Expenses: To and from a hospital within 100 miles in the same geographic area.
-Medical Evacuation: All medically necessary expenses for stabilization and transportation to the facility nearest your home, which can provide the appropriate care up to $100,000.
-Repatriation of Remains: In the event of death, Underwriters will reimburse the cost of delivery of your remains to a mortuary nearest your home up to $100,000.
-Prescription Drugs: Outpatient prescription medications covered up to a maximum of $500.
-Emergency Return Home: If, at er you have departed, you learn of the death of an Immediate Family Member, or you learn of the substantial destruction of your home by i re, wind, flood, or earthquake, Underwriters shall reimburse you the cost of an economy one way air or ground transportation ticket for you to your home, up to a maximum of $5,000.
$25,000 Accidental Death: $50,000 if accidental death occurs while riding as a passenger of a common carrier.
-Follow Me Home: Provides benefits for any injury or illness which occurs while in the USA. Benefits are limited to 5 days for every month of time outside the USA.
-Common Accident Provision: In the event that you and any additional insured family members suf er injuries from the same accident, only one deductible shall be applied.
-Lost Luggage: In the event that your checked on luggage is completely and totally lost, Underwriters shall reimburse you to a maximum of $500, excess of any and all other valid and collectible coverage's.
-Trip Cancellation Benefit: If within two weeks prior to your pre-paid ticketed or vouchered initial trip departure your entire trip must be cancelled due to 1) your death, illness or injury causing hospitalization or outpatient surgery, or 2) the death of an Immediate Family member, or 3) the substantial destruction of your home due to i re, wind, l flood, or earthquake, any unused and nonrefundable portion of expenses shall be reimbursed up to a maximum of $1,000, excess of $100 each and every loss and excess of all other valid Insurance
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #11238
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Spanih world... whats going on

Well tomorrow is the premier of: LAS PAREDES HABLAN tought it be good to practice Spanish for those in Mexico
it suppose to be a good movie ., starting Maria Aura wich i personaly like her looks a little bit I'll might go to Monterrey just to see her

kuno Becker & maria Aura

Bato screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 11:49 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #11239
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,303
Those delectable thighs (hers) should be covered in leather.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #11240
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
(hers)
Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #11241
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Those delectable thighs (hers) should be covered in leather.
Or you could just ware your leather gloves guero

Saludos Jimmex let me know when your coming down south
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #11242
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,303
I'm itching to go guero.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #11243
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
A little bit right, and a little bit wrong.

First and foremost, for MedJet to "kick in", you have to have a need to be transported hospital to hospital. Period.

How this plays out is you must always remember the caveat that you need to return to the U.S. to be hospitalized.
As I understand it, the policy doesn't specify a US hospital, rather, the "hospital of your choice". I confirmed this with them before I left the US. In my case, my family is in Australia, and if there was a circumstance where I might be hospitalized for a longer term, I might prefer it to be in Australia. Of course there'd be other factors, like whether my condition would allow for the longer trip, but at least the option is there should I want it.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #11244
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
[QUOTE=MikeMike;20190900]No dice!

We will cut a deal for dead scorpion encased in plastic on a key chain! I've noticed a shortage of those here, lately./QUOTE]

Deal! There is no shortage of those here. I'm that certain we are located in the world capital of alacran key-chains! I have a bowl full of them and hand them out to visitors like Halloween candy. I thought it would be cool to commission a special ADV version. I'll have to talk to Baldy about licensing.
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #11245
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
As I understand it, the policy doesn't specify a US hospital, rather, the "hospital of your choice".
This is true.

I was using the U.S. as a generic example.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #11246
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
This stuff repels Chupacabras. Does it attract Senoritas or repel them?
MikeMike testing ADV Beyond Starbucks,

Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #11247
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,068
Damn SR! You never cease to amaze me. Reminds me of the first one I ever bought from a street vendor near the old entrance to Xochimilco back in 1978. Had it for years and then it got lost during about a zillion moves.
Nice collection, more people should appreciate your generosity when they are gifted to them.

Now, to insurance, medivacs, etc...
I think it is important to mention that the ambulance you will get might be a your buddy's bike, an old truck, a bus, a taxi, pretty much damn near anything. Even major metro areas do not always have what someone might consider to pass for an ambulance available to an accident victim. If you are lucky it will be from the Red Cross with someone with some training. If you aren't, it could be something like being on the back of my bike, like what happened here awhile back. Just because you have a Don Chingon insurance policy it doesn't mean diddly to anyone helping you out. People here don't usually screw around waiting for something better to come along, they have learned the problems with that over the last few centuries. Also, the clinic you arrive at might be a penthouse or an outhouse, it'll be luck of the draw, especially if you are not coherent, or can't make yourself understood. Like Redman said, "You have to first survive the first aid". A functioning American Express card or cash will trump almost anything unless you happen to hit the pavement outside the ABC, Los Angeles, etc... hospitals.
Also, having any quantity of liability insurance is only worth something if they can get you amparo'ed ASAP because that is what is going to get you out. How well they can do this is going to be the real test. No amparo, you'll be inside for awhile until you can get things sorted out, but if you are guilty, with no amparo, you will have a real tough time.

I don't know if any of this is of use to anyone on here, but it seems there are some people that are contemplating first time trips south or even a trip after a real long time since the last one. Your options if you have a problem become limited real fast and having either a lawyer or even a buddy who is sharp, can help you get the best of what is available. I find the recent spate of bad luck of some riders to be worth studying and see if there is anything to learn from.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #11248
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
MikeMike testing ADV Beyond Starbucks,
Thanks for letting me borrow those boots, Bob!

Craneguy...now there is a fashionista! Neutral, fall color tone, one piece jumpsuit and Depeche Mode fan gloss black helmet. Almost as shocking as listening to the Mystery Rider thinking out load that his jacket doesn't have the right tone of red to compliment his yellow paint during the harsh overhead light of mid-day.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #11249
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Damn SR! You never cease to amaze me. Reminds me of the first one I ever bought from a street vendor near the old entrance to Xochimilco back in 1978. Had it for years and then it got lost during about a zillion moves.
Nice collection, more people should appreciate your generosity when they are gifted to them.

Now, to insurance, medivacs, etc...
I think it is important to mention that the ambulance you will get might be a your buddy's bike, an old truck, a bus, a taxi, pretty much damn near anything. Even major metro areas do not always have what someone might consider to pass for an ambulance available to an accident victim. If you are lucky it will be from the Red Cross with someone with some training. If you aren't, it could be something like being on the back of my bike, like what happened here awhile back. Just because you have a Don Chingon insurance policy it doesn't mean diddly to anyone helping you out. People here don't usually screw around waiting for something better to come along, they have learned the problems with that over the last few centuries. Also, the clinic you arrive at might be a penthouse or an outhouse, it'll be luck of the draw, especially if you are not coherent, or can't make yourself understood. Like Redman said, "You have to first survive the first aid". A functioning American Express card or cash will trump almost anything unless you happen to hit the pavement outside the ABC, Los Angeles, etc... hospitals.
Also, having any quantity of liability insurance is only worth something if they can get you amparo'ed ASAP because that is what is going to get you out. How well they can do this is going to be the real test. No amparo, you'll be inside for awhile until you can get things sorted out, but if you are guilty, with no amparo, you will have a real tough time.

I don't know if any of this is of use to anyone on here, but it seems there are some people that are contemplating first time trips south or even a trip after a real long time since the last one. Your options if you have a problem become limited real fast and having either a lawyer or even a buddy who is sharp, can help you get the best of what is available. I find the recent spate of bad luck of some riders to be worth studying and see if there is anything to learn from.
recurso de amparo OK I googled it, however could you provide an example of how this actually works
Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #11250
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 590
+1 QUOTE=tricepilot;20190951]sabiduría de las edades[/QUOTE]
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote