Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #11671
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
mmmm....menudo and pozole season is here.
RETCH Retch.
Menudo ??? Tried it once and will never knowingly eat it ,ever again ! No doubt I have consumed cow's stomach bits ( and lots of other bits I would rather leave to the zopilotes) in the form of balogna or wieners , but in that camouflaged version it is not detectable as the lumps of squishy carpet in menudo. No wonder they put chile and onion on it to distract you from the gross mouth-feel.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #11672
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Passed Through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
Hey RMO did you stay at Martha's Place?
Joe,
I stopped by to see the place and meet Martha... gave her your greetings. She remembered you. It was almost noon and I was truckin' for the border.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #11673
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
No wonder they put chile and onion on it to distract you from the gross mouth-feel.
McDonalds uses a clown instead of chili and onion, but the idea is the same
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #11674
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 791
IINow, on to the teaching moment.
What is wrong with this picture below?

Still guessing, eh?

Well, she obviously did not know how to bypass a BMW fuel pump controller that has failed, so she is not riding home.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, she probably forgot her laser pointer at home.
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #11675
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryRider View Post
Christina's World, by Andrew Wyeth

Part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in NYC
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #11676
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Yes, and I believe it was in Mr. Foley' s grade 12 art class that I had to do an essay on it.
Some paintings leave a lasting impression longer than the dogs playing poker!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #11677
raceu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Hey Raceu2 , Was that first part of your post# 12078 a quote from sombody else or your info? Either way it is excellent advice.Guys seem to forget about winter when they make plans for trips to Mexico ,think it is all blazing desert between to balmy beaches.

Now your request for directions to a cheap hotel in Hermosillo , get out your pen and paper and scribble this.
Hotel Pima Inn and Hotel Faraon are a two-motel combination in the north edge of the city on Blv. Kino / Mex 15 at the km 275 marker in what is called the Zona Hotelera Norte . This means it is on the Northside of Mex 15 as you are riding into the city as coming from Nogales and it is a mere two blocks east of the big intersection and traffic light setup of the Periferico Oriente. You will see a big flour mill on the south side of the big 4 lane boulevard oppsite this hotel area.
Last time I stayed there in 2009 it was $23 for a spotles room, tiled floors ,TV, ac, and secure parking at the room door facing onto the interior parking lot. A great place to get a good night's sleep at reasonable cost. Restaurants start appearing near the motel and a bit farther west there are plenty to pick from.

If that is not suffiicent for your tastes and you demand high class service, valet parking , shoe shine , en suite pool, steakhouse restaurant in the lobby, - just carry onward west along Blv Kino and soon enough you will hit the high priced executive high rise hotels which offer those. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Then farther west still you will get into the older downtown area where there are also assorted good hotels.

You can indeed get all the paperwork looked after at the border crossing of Sonoyta ( from Lukeville).limited hours of service last time I checked.

That does mean however you have a considerable trek ahead of you to make Hermosillo before dark ,especially if you are slack in getting to that crossing early in the day. It may be all sort of desert landscape but it is varied and there are a number of towns along the way which you should spend some time getting to know. Don't get sucked in by the ailment of destinationitis and blast blindly past everything .
If you run late there are good hotels in Sonoyta , Caborca and Santa Ana where you hook up with Mex 15
Answer your question?
Yes that was a quote from Turkeycreek i believe. Nice place he's got there.Good advice i usually have my camper
and thats not an issue.

Did the millage thing on bing maps and yeah thats a long way from the boarder, need an real early start. I've been down that way before stayed in Kino, Desemboque de los seris on the Indian res. and La Libertad. We realy have no plans or time schedual other than to get to warm. My beer froze on the deck tonight had bring them in.

Yes that did answer my question will make notes thanks.
raceu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #11678
raceu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:

Todo missing
raceu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #11679
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I think this knife thing has been asked before.
There are guys here walking around with 3 foot machetes. Most of them use them for work, others use them for killing their brother in law, cousin, drinking buddy, or who knows who or what. It is a tool and a weapon and I have never seen a cop stop anyone from carrying a machete. Never.

A gringo walking around with a hunting knife is another story.

First, you are a gringo and you stick out like a sore thumb no matter how hard you try.
Second, a cop is going to look at you like an easy mark and he knows he can lean on you and leave you worried.

You are in his town and he can do what he wants with you. He knows you don't need that knife, but he also knows that you feel you need to have that knife. See where this is going? This is what Pirate was getting at with the taxi comment.

So, if you have a knife in a tankbag, and you are searched, nobody is going to give a damn, they might comment on how much it costs, the workmanship, where you got it, but they are highly unlikely to take it from you or hassle you unless you are coming off as some kind of macho blowhard. They can spot bullshit a mile away, just like anyone here can spot a gringo a mile away.

Carry tools you need. If you feel you need a tomahawk axe for camping, then carry it in your panniers. If you need a knife for camping, ditto.

The chances of you surviving an encounter where you have found yourself having to actually use it as a weapon are slim to none, it doesn't matter if you are Bruce Lee reincarnated or how well you have been "trained".

People who will hurt you here do it for a living.

Day in and day out, and you are their meal ticket.

They have survived in a rough game and are better than you. It's like anywhere else in the world.

So you avoid those people. Very simple to do. If you can do it Friday at midnight in Compton or downtown Detroit, you can do it here. It is called common sense. Not to mention that you will likely be outnumbered.

Take a look at the case of the late Peter Zarate. Google him and read the story from the New York Times. He was an ex-Seal. Are you an ex-Seal?

One thing I have learned about Mexico, is that it is really not that complicated, but we, as gringos, tend to make it way more complicated than it really is. There is a fluidity to life here that you have to tap into and let yourself go with it, surrender yourself to it when you find it. Resistance is futile. That will let you find the good here and more importantly, it will help you spot the bad.

If you find yourself on the wrong end of things, your instincts will kick in and you will do what you can and the outcome will be what it will be. Learning to avoid the wrong end of things is the trick, and you'll do that better from within the flow than from outside the flow. I think anyone who lives here will understand how difficult it is to describe this, it is a feeling not a procedure per se.
I see those guys all the time, and always try to solve the equation for X, 1 mechanized brush cutter = X guys with three foot machetes.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #11680
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,455
i'm keeping it in the family and going with this mode of transport. none of them unreliable new-fangled internal combustion engines.

Quote:

Still guessing, eh?

Well, she obviously did not know how to bypass a BMW fuel pump controller that has failed, so she is not riding home.
Not only that, she probably forgot her laser pointer at home.[/QUOTE]
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60

eakins screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 01:13 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #11681
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
I ain't going to Canada. Its not safe there.

Cartels and thievery of sweet, sugary crack.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/bu...ouse.html?_r=0

Take off, you hosers, and stay on your side of the border. Don't be bringing your crime across the border to Detroit.

Sorry if that article belongs in the WTF thread, it talks about a "global strategic maple syrup reserve" and hoping to seize illicit product moved across the border.

We better keep an eye on those sneaky Canadians, moving in behind our backs while we're worried about Mexico.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #11682
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Morning Coffee with Shania

Lots of excellent things come from Canada. Maple syrup is just one of them.

Here's another...

That's some Canadian Bacon right there
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #11683
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Lots of excellent things come from Canada. Maple syrup is just one of them.

Here's another...

That's some Canadian Bacon right there

Not much bacon in THAT belly.

She could be a spy for the syrup cartel. Someone's got to keep their eyes on those Vermontians.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #11684
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
How many people here can say that Shania served them a hamburger?

What happens in Timmins, stays in Timmins.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #11685
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
How many people here can say that Shania served them a hamburger?

What happens in Timmins, stays in Timmins.
I can't stand the suspense!

Did she........bring you extra ketchup packets?