Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Imagine this smothered in maple syrup

Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #11703
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 743
Thanks, Miguelito, for the info.
Are you referring to the road between H. del Parral and Creel that looks to be Ch23?
Is there a RR or vid of that route? And is that the one in the news lately with the roadblock? Still waiting on the arrival of some better maps. I find Google maps tough for planning as there's little detail until you are zoomed in so far there is no sense of scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
TVIP -What trice said. This crossing isn't too busy, so you should be through quickly. The last time I crossed there, the hardest part was finding the Banjercito which was in the town, not at the border. It can get cold and snow around Creel, so check the weather before you set out. If you head to Camargo, I think it's about 180 miles between gas stations, so fill up, and possibly bring a fuel container. You should easily make it that far in a day + border crossing. The ride there is pretty but also flat and straight, and with little traffic. It's not too far to H. de Parral from Camargo, where the riding is much more interesting. There has been some cartel violence in and around Parral, and particularly to the west of town where the riding gets to be more interesting, so heads-up if you ride that way. If you keep going south from Camargo, you're in for a lot more flat/straight roads for quite a ways.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com

Rhode trip screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 09:42 AM
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #11704
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Cancel long Mx documents

AndyT
The new style Tourist Card introduced a year or two ago is good for
Multiple entries and exits across the USA border . I did that this year ,
returnIng within its valid time , never had a problem even after canceling the TVIP
because I intended to come back to Mexico with a different vehicle.
If you exit Mexico to Guatemala and Belize the Mexican customs are unavoidable
and they will ask you to hand in the Tourist Card and get an exit ( Salida) stamp
in your passport . But if you intend to turn around and travel back through Mexico
to the USA before your TVIP expires you DO NOT NEED TO CANCEL THE TVIP.
before you enter Central America
This saves you and BANJERCITO the bother of refunding the Security Deposit plu s
you avoid the cost of buying a new TVIP for the return trip .
At the norther border with the USA you can simply pass through the inland
Aduana terminal and NOBODY WILL DEMAND that you hand in or cancel
ANYTHING . You are expected to know enough. Same at the actual border, you can
ride straight into the US Customs . Only the bridge toll booth will stop you.
You are free to keep your documents in effect until the day they expire.
But on or before that day you must visit the Mexcan customs office at ANY border
crossing to cancel the TVIP AND YOUR TOURIST CARD. You must bring the exact same
vehicle as is described on the TVIP .if you cannot present that same vehicle
you can not cancel the TVIP
If you are late you can kiss your refundable Securiy Deposit goodbye
Got that?
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #11705
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post

If you're familiar with who Mutt Lange is, this is additional proof that he's an idiot
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #11706
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post

Gives me a woody just imagining it.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #11707
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
AndyT
The new style Tourist Card introduced a year or two ago is good for
Multiple entries and exits across the USA border . I did that this year ,
returnIng within its valid time , never had a problem even after canceling the TVIP.......

.........Got that?

Thanks for the reply. I have crossed enough latin america borders to know that things aren't always done to the letter of the law, but I am trying to educate myself on when I am skirting the law with the recent Mexican changes. I found the actual Mexican statute:

CAPÍTULO II
DE LA ESTANCIA DE EXTRANJEROS EN EL TERRITORIO NACIONAL
Artículo 52. Los extranjeros podrán permanecer en el territorio nacional en las condiciones de estancia devisitante, residente temporal y residente permanente, siempre que cumplan con los requisitos establecidos enesta Ley, su Reglamento y demás disposiciones jurídicas aplicables, de conformidad con lo siguiente:
I. VISITANTE SIN PERMISO PARA REALIZAR ACTIVIDADES REMUNERADAS. Autoriza al extranjeropara transitar o permanecer en territorio nacional por un tiempo ininterrumpido no mayor a ciento ochentadías, contados a partir de la fecha de entrada, sin permiso para realizar actividades sujetas a unaremuneración en el país.

I emphasized the "tiempo ininterrumpido" part, which I translate as "for an uninterrupted time of not more than 180 days". The key phrase being uninterrupted, which supports what the border guard told me about single entry on the FMM.

I'm just being anal about this because I went to baja in March, and didn't cancel my FMM when I left, but went to Acuna before it expired to cancel it, and the guard there told me I had left Mexico illegally, but let me slide and stamped my passport. Then I crossed at Laredo in September and asked the guy there if the FMM was good for multiple entries and he said no, as I said in my original post. So I cancelled my FMM and TVIP when I crossed into Guatemala, and got new ones on the way back, but it would be cheaper and easier to not have to do that. And I have kept them open in the good old FMT days. So I have two border guards, plus my shaky spanish translation of the statute that say it is single entry.

I'll look into the TVIP thing later when my head doesn't hurt.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #11708
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If you're familiar with who Mutt Lange is, this is additional proof that he's an idiot
Of course there is also the saying, " No matter how beautiful a woman is, somewhere, some guy is sick of putting up with her shit"
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #11709
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

BiciMapas

Rhode Trip: As a general reference and if you are only going on major roads city to city the AAA map is surprisingly good. Next would be the Guia Roja Tourist Road Atlas, a very hefty book, next level of detail if you have a Garmin GPS would be the North America NT, and drill down even further to the BiciMapas 2013 version for Garmin GPS that was updated only last week. There is an interesting effect when you have the Garmin NANT and BiciMapas loaded. In some areas where they do not exactly coincide the map in the screen dithers a bit between the two so the streets shift very slightly between the two data bases. The BiciMapas is a $99 download and you need to have Garmin Mapsource software loaded on your PC (not Mac compatible) This said I have no doubt that 9 of the other weisenheimers on this thread will have ten different answers for you. The proof is in pointing south, pushing the start button, engaging first gear and twisting the throttle... I learn something new everyday and it is nothing like riding en el norte... abort any preconceived notions about anything... especially road conditions and time and distance traveled.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #11710
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Federales

OK. Outside of Gomez Palacio I see three Ford F350 size pickups with Federales in full tactical gear, heavy machine guns mounted on the trucks, guys in full Kevlar armor, and they are patrolling the cuoto while off to the Northwest 4 lovely, innocent, religious women are being murdered for their 2012 Jetta and cash. WTF! When I was in Vietnam is there was trouble on one of the roads the engineers ran a five ton dump truck with a quad fifty mounted in the bed and ammunition everywhere... one trip down the road and there was no more trouble... we did have to pay the plantation owners about .25 cents for every rubber tree we demolished but there were no more ambushes. Who calls the shots down here? (Rhetorical question)
Old 12-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #11711
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
This said I have no doubt that 9 of the other weisenheimers on this thread will have ten different answers for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #11712
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Of course there is also the saying, " No matter how beautiful a woman is, somewhere, some guy is sick of putting up with her shit"

Hilarious! When I posted the Mutt Lange thing this is the exact quote running through my mind
Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #11713
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Started a ride report today: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849757 someone please let me know if this link does not work. Total noob at this.
I hit a dead end using that link, try this one and see your PM for tips how to make a link like this:

The Way South
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #11714
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
I hit a dead end using that link, try this one and see your PM for tips how to make a link like this.....
He doesn't need tips on making links.

The original link to his original ride report was fine, but that first version of his ride report was deleted.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #11715
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
When I got my TVIP & Tourist Card in Agua Prieta in October I asked several times about multiple entries and the guy that I got the Tourist Card from, who fortunately spoke a little English, assured me it was good for multiple entries.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote