Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #11836
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,150
Just rode down to Monclova through Acuña. Things appear to be very tranquilo with noticeably less military presence. I never even had to get off the bike because I already had the TVIP. Easiest border crossing ever. Damn glad I had the electric vest today.

Schizz you should consider just an electric vest, it makes all the difference.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #11837
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Just rode down to Monclova through Acuña. Things appear to be very tranquilo with noticeably less military presence. I never even had to get off the bike because I already had the TVIP. Easiest border crossing ever. Damn glad I had the electric vest today.

That's one of my favorite crossings. There or Piedras Negras. Try Corrales for a meal when in Monclova. You'll pass it as you head south, one or two blocks from the big fire station.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #11838
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post

Monclova? one of the most desirable tourist destinations in Mexico
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #11839
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
On our first night in Colorado we cracked the radiator, water pump and the thermostat housing on the Jeep. We had sufficient antifreeze content for Mexico but not for Colorado in the winter. I wouldn't be so mad at myself, but this is the second time this has happened to me with a vehicle from Mexico Doh!! So keep an eye on your antifreeze levels if you have has work done in Mexico. It is absolutely common practice in Mexico for mechanics to put very little or no antifreeze in the radiator.

Feliz Navidad Inmates! y que la paz y alegria reine en sus corazones!
You got that right SR. The no anti freeze thing burned a lot of the locals here 2 winters ago when we had 2 nights of hard freeze - around 20 f. Lots of broken water pipes too.

Stay warm.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #11840
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
You got that right SR. The no anti freeze thing burned a lot of the locals here 2 winters ago when we had 2 nights of hard freeze - around 20 f. Lots of broken water pipes too.

Stay warm.
Once, the new cars inside d showrooms of several delars in Monclova had the mono blocks cracked back in the day, not the Vw's air cooled. Talking 70's
Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #11841
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

Viento a estivor 40mph NW winds relaxing d grips makes a difference
There's a black KTM fender with a matching mount hole pattern you can buy new at a reasonable price. Will really clean up the KLR aerodynamically and tame the winds quite a bit. Had one on my '08.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #11842
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinneck View Post
Here in LA (lower Arkansas) I think the percentage may be a little lower....Ace, sorry for the rash comeback,,.I may have had one too many Christmas totties last night. But that is no excuse for my rudeness. I apologize.

No problem Amigo !
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #11843
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
There's a black KTM fender with a matching mount hole pattern you can buy new at a reasonable price. Will really clean up the KLR aerodynamically and tame the winds quite a bit. Had one on my '08.
Thanks Schizz already order one (thanks to Snownut )and the forks brace I have only put 1000mi since I bought it and now I really like riding it ., I checked the air pressure before coming back from Acuna last night it was low like 32lbs in front, put 40lbs and it improved had cross winds of 40mph it remind me when we were getting out of the bend that was lot of fun I could taken the R1200 but I guess I like to struggle a bit is more fun it was 47°F I did missed the heated grips which also order...
Any suggestions on a heated vest?
Some one was saying go Baja., are you ready?
Saludos

Bato screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 06:13 PM
Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #11844
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 555
Presidio Parking

Need any advice available for long term safe parking in Presidio, Tx. My buddy and I are hauling the bikes to Presidio and then doing about a month long in Mex. Will be parking a SUV and small utility trailer. Good advice will be appreciated.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #11845
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Need any advice available for long term safe parking in Presidio, Tx. My buddy and I are hauling the bikes to Presidio and then doing about a month long in Mex. Will be parking a SUV and small utility trailer. Good advice will be appreciated.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
Call Three Palms Inn and ask if you can store them there. Helps if you reserve a room, as well. A fellow rider stored his car and trailer there on a week-long Copper Canyon ride in 2010 with no problems.

The Inn is cheap but clean with hot water and a restaurant on site.

Three Palms Inn
1200 Erma Avenue
Presidio, TX 79845
(432) 229-3211

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #11846
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Thanks Schizz already order one (thanks to Snownut )and the forks brace I have only put 1000mi since I bought it and now I really like riding it ., I checked the air pressure before coming back from Acuna last night it was low like 32lbs in front, put 40lbs and it improved had cross winds of 40mph it remind me when we were getting out of the bend that was lot of fun I could taken the R1200 but I guess I like to struggle a bit is more fun it was 47°F I did missed the heated grips which also order...
Any suggestions on a heated vest?
Some one was saying go Baja., are you ready?
Saludos
That fender and fork brace (Eagle Mike's?) will do a lot for the bike.

I recommend the Gerbings heated jacket liner over a vest. You can plug heated gloves or glove liners into it and they work better than heated grips, IMO. You have to really grasp the heated grips for them to work well where heated gloves or liners work better, allowing you to relax your grip and avoid fatigue on longer rides. Get the dual controller with the jacket liner.

Baja? Love to. Got to get a little bike first. Don't want to be stuck riding only pavement. Maybe Fall 2013??

Tyler still talks about you riding that Dyna back from BB. Remember what he asked me when we got the Harleys down to the hot springs?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #11847
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That fender and fork brace (Eagle Mike's?) will do a lot for the bike.

I recommend the Gerbings heated jacket liner over a vest. You can plug heated gloves or glove liners into it and they work better than heated grips, IMO. You have to really grasp the heated grips for them to work well where heated gloves or liners work better, allowing you to relax your grip and avoid fatigue on longer rides. Get the dual controller with the jacket liner.

Baja? Love to. Got to get a little bike first. Don't want to be stuck riding only pavement. Maybe Fall 2013??

Tyler still talks about you riding that Dyna back from BB. Remember what he asked me when we got the Harleys down to the hot springs?

I miss her .,Wish I had kept all the ones I loved before...
You think I can find that stuff in Austin ? maybe I could come for lunch and bring back the stuff ? I need it quick Going to see Mike Mike the 6th
What did Tyler asked ?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #11848
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:

I miss her .,Wish I had kept all the ones I loved before...
You think I can find that stuff in Austin ? maybe I could come for lunch and bring back the stuff ? I need it quick Going to see Mike Mike the 6th
What did Tyler asked ?
I ordered my new heated gear today and added the 3 day UPS delivery for $20. Should come in before next week. I used revzilla.com.

After parking the big bikes at the hot springs Tyler asked if I had given any thought to whether or not he would be able to ride his bike on that road. I answered, "no", and gave him a big smile.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #11849
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I ordered my new heated gear today and added the 3 day UPS delivery for $20. Should come in before next week. I used revzilla.com.

After parking the big bikes at the hot springs Tyler asked if I had given any thought to whether or not he would be able to ride his bike on that road. I answered, "no", and gave him a big smile.
I was amazed that I didn't fell with my chopper
Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #11850
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
I was amazed that I didn't fell with my chopper
We all were.

Even more impressive was how you kept up with us in that 40-60mph crosswind.

So tell us about your Veracruz trip plans.