User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #12016
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,210

La Parroquia, San Miguel de Allende

Interesting history, and simply, just gorgeous.

The Salma Hayek of churches
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #12017
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Our man Schizzman during our Pemex stop on the Grand Funk Railroad, aka Mex 57D.

Left Saltillo in a dense fog (nature kind, not mental kind).

Arrived here to find Rocky Mountain Oyster parked at Posada de las Monjas. amazing!
Tohought his bike only liked EXXON or SHELL or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Depends where you are crossing into Mexico.
If it is from Texas, give yourself a month.
PM me if you want a general idea illustrated ride guide in PDF format to introduce you to my neck of the woods here (Central Veracruz and extreme eastern Puebla).
Whatever you do, stay off the Mex #180 coast highway as much as you can. You don't need it and you'll have way more fun.Bring your camera, an appetite, and thirst.
Hey MIKE "pernocte" en CERRO AZUL you are right 180 so much fun there is a streach in constuction between Aladma and MAnuel about 10 mi of it no signs we enter gravel at 70mph there were mud too and today it will be even more fun looking fwd for one million topes, I heard ....

Still keep the MEDJET flight tag on my MOTO FIXIT bag

Coffee independent,Si Señor!
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #12018
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Patina

México has it

Like why an old leather boot is better than one on the store shelf
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #12019
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Two bikes from Scotland

Their owners are on the last bits of a 14 month Argentina to Canada tour

He's ready to go home, she could stay on the road forever.

Zero safety issues in all of the Americas

Two mordidas paid

A few mechanicals, some shock issues and some idle controller part replacements

They pulled into Posada de las Monjas. Pure serendipity.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #12020
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Ye Olde Viajeros

Or, we're just old
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #12021
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 575
Creel

Surprize this morning. This is San Junito about 34 kms from Creel.

DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #12022
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
did your aircraft slide off the taxiway
You've been watching the news Bob.....Pilot taxi'd a little too far left..Result..
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #12023
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,985
Estimado Bato, donde estas? "Pernoctando" en Cerro Azul, todavia?
I am probably going to head over towards Cordoba Wednesday, January 9th very early AM to meet up with a rider from Cuernavaca and two of his pals. Looks like we'll be having breakfast in the zocalo in Cordoba, I should arrive around 8am or maybe a touch earlier. Next, looks like the plan will be to ride up towards Coscomatepec and Huatusco and then on to Totola and down through the canyon to Jalcomulco and to Veracruz via the libre. This is a flexible plan that relies on the trio reaching Cordoba or some place close, later today.
If you make Huatusco, we can pick you up on the way. If you don't, let me know where you'll be and depending on the weather, Friday might be a possibility along with Saturday and/or Sunday.
Update me if you can.
Cordoba, Orizaba, Xalapa, Perote etc... are all on my early morning routes, I usually leave around 6:30am or earlier.

And for Sr. Lance, look forward to hearing from you tonight.

MikeMike screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 10:09 AM
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #12024
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 575
We'll wait it out. Will move 30 miles south to Creel when roads are safe. Want to see some of this area then we will ride to Las Noche to catch ferry to La Paz. No need to hurry we're traveling Mex all the month of January.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Looks horrible for riding. Are you going to wait it out or try do get down the mountain to a warmer climate? Do they rent snowmobiles?
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #12025
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
I heard they were thinking about salting the roads there, but they decided not to, because they needed the salt for the margaritas.

Crap I want to go to Mexico, the diesel is (relatively) cheap for the drive down right now.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #12026
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Nieve

Snow is no surprise given temperatures north of the border and the temperatures and moisture I have been experiencing down here since I crossed the border at Palomas on 1/15. Isn't Creel higer in elev. and more likely to be colder and have more snow than ? San Junito? Travelguy I guess you got insurance sorted out. For others who have insurance questions I have had very good experiences with MAPFRE (though no claims history) through San Xavier Mexico Insurance... fast, efficient, English speaking, offices in US, all done online before departing US... no need or reason to scramble for coverage at the border.... you won't get a "better deal"

As Mike Mike informed me, good weather reports are available through Mexican electric utility website. Snow at 7K feet in January in Sierra Tarahumara has been noted and photographed more than once here. http://app.cfe.gob.mx/Aplicaciones/Q...Bol_3dias.aspx

Great to meet tricepilot, Schizz and Jimmex here. It is cool and raining like hell here (SMA) this afternoon. Thundershowers now and last night. Weather coming out of the direction that the three of them plus Miguelito rode off into at 8:30 this AM. It will be interesting to hear their further adventures as they head for the beach W x SW of here. Right where the storm is coming from. Really dumping at 14:45 local. Glad I delayed my plans for a hike to the top of the hill. It is a genuine toad choker. Vaya con dios boys.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #12027
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Thieves-Ladrones

It can happen to anyone, anywhere at any time on this continent. My sweet, dear, Spanish teacher Sara was robbed by two young men yesterday evening around 7:30 as she walked homeward not too far from the school. These two twentysomethings pushed her into a doorway and rifled her bag to find her small pocketbook (bolsillo) that contained 3000 pesos, around $244, that she had just picked up from Western Union. One of her relatives had wired the money from the states to pay for her mother's heart and diabetes meds. The little bastards may have seen her come out of the Western Union office and followed here until they were able to seize the opportunity to mug her. San Miguel is very safe but like anywhere in the world one needs to be aware of what is going on around you. She was walking home, deep in thought, and as a native who feels quite secure was in her own world until these little pricks entered it. The street parallels one of the nicer private neighborhoods in that quarter of the city. Damn shame. This is a lot of money to her. I would still say that Mexico is safe, not much you can do about walking around a corner and finding hoodlums in wait even in Peoria.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #12028
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Route Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction for a beautiful safe route through Mexico? Maybe some must sees, perhaps a few rr''s? I was going to comb through all 800+ pages in this thread but thought asking may be more efficient. I'm just starting to do some research and planning for a trip to South America from the states.
Plenty of route planning info on this thread and on the route planning thread.

Simple answer:
Go to AAA.
Get Mexico Map.
Choose highway.
Head south.
Plan for the unplannned.
Don't carry US expectations about how far you will go on a given day with you.
Enjoy.

Don't know when you are planning on leaving but it is a bit late to plan for South America now. It will be getting towards fall/winter by the time you get there. Snows down there. In making these plans there is always the daunting task of how you are going to deal with the Darien Gap. Have you gotten that far yet? Fairly serious obstacle... but before that there is Central America... esp. Guatemala. If you are concerned about safety in Mexico you need to talk to a few Mexicans about safety in Guatemala. As far as planning route through Mexico after you get your AAA map and while you are waiting for your Guia Roji to arrive in the mail look at cities on the AAA map and use the thread search tool here and you will come up with comments about those places. Search radioman's thread for Mexico place names. This website is a very rich resource. Get yourself a Rough Guide to Mexico although the free AAA guide will give you plenty of good information.

At risk of jeers from the peanut gallery I have to tell you that I was more than a bit afraid before I took off on this adventure in Mexico, and I had been here before. The scariest thing you will do on a day to day basis is to get on the motorcycle. No shit! There is no one way to peel this onion. Find things in the travel books that interest you and plan point to point. If you just want to blast your way through there are the cuotas, toll roads, and you will go fast, dole out a lot of pesos and see a lot of Mexican tandem rigs... you won't see or experience Mexico... the cuotas are mostly good roads, you can do 80 or nintety or 100, all day and then pull into the outskirts of a moderately sized Mexican city and stay at a Euro style hotel, eat at the nearby Burger King, drink a fucking Corona, and say you have traveled in Mexico... absolutely true.... but you will never have been to Mexico.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #12029
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Plenty of route planning info on this thread and on the route planning thread.

Simple answer:
Go to AAA.
Get Mexico Map.
Choose highway.
Head south.
Plan for the unplannned.
Don't carry US expectations about how far you will go on a given day with you.
Enjoy.

Don't know when you are planning on leaving but it is a bit late to plan for South America now. It will be getting towards fall/winter by the time you get there. Snows down there. In making these plans there is always the daunting task of how you are going to deal with the Darien Gap. Have you gotten that far yet? Fairly serious obstacle... but before that there is Central America... esp. Guatemala. If you are concerned about safety in Mexico you need to talk to a few Mexicans about safety in Guatemala. As far as planning route through Mexico after you get your AAA map and while you are waiting for your Guia Roji to arrive in the mail look at cities on the AAA map and use the thread search tool here and you will come up with comments about those places. Search radioman's thread for Mexico place names. This website is a very rich resource. Get yourself a Rough Guide to Mexico although the free AAA guide will give you plenty of good information.

At risk of jeers from the peanut gallery I have to tell you that I was more than a bit afraid before I took off on this adventure in Mexico, and I had been here before. The scariest thing you will do on a day to day basis is to get on the motorcycle. No shit! There is no one way to peel this onion. Find things in the travel books that interest you and plan point to point. If you just want to blast your way through there are the cuotas, toll roads, and you will go fast, dole out a lot of pesos and see a lot of Mexican tandem rigs... you won't see or experience Mexico... the cuotas are mostly good roads, you can do 80 or nintety or 100, all day and then pull into the outskirts of a moderately sized Mexican city and stay at a Euro style hotel, eat at the nearby Burger King, drink a fucking Corona, and say you have traveled in Mexico... absolutely true.... but you will never have been to Mexico.
how about fucking someone drinking a Corona

Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #12030
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
We made it safely to Morelia and missed the rain. Great ride on the Mil Cumbres. Very nice to meet RMO at the newly proclaimed ADV Mexican Headquarters, La Posada de las Monjas in San Miguel de Allende.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote