Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #12211
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
We have them (abejas malas) up here in West Texas and I have been attacked; had to jump in the jeep and speed off or it would have been bad, as in hospital bad. They are set off by the vibration in engines. I know of one dozer operator who was killed when they set on him by the hundreds. Easily the biggest natural hazard out here. Rattlesnakes second.
In the 80s i worked in Bee County as a surveyor. As we chopped our way thru the mesquite suddenly one of the crew would start screeming. It was an everyday occurance for us in the woods.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #12212
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Here's a fascinating map from the the Economist magazine:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph...lent-countries

Let's just say, has anyone been worried if you want to vacation in Puerto Rico? You can also observe that some states are safer than Chicago (500 in 2012) or Detroit (350 in 2012) amongst others. You can also see which states have more of the 'problems' (But we pretty much know that here)

Also, this article is interesting:

http://www.economist.com/news/leader...ur-rise-mexico

Eek! They're coming to get us!
*** Mexico is already the world’s biggest exporter of flat-screen televisions, BlackBerrys and fridge-freezers, and is climbing up the rankings in cars, aerospace and more. On present trends, by 2018 America will import more from Mexico than from any other country. “Made in China” is giving way to “Hecho en México***

I see dollar signs

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #12213
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Hola!

Two riders from Denver crossing into Mexico for the month of March, planning to cross the border at Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna.

If it were you, what route would you take to clear the border area and where might you stop for that first night?

Thanks for your suggestions.

..................shu
It all depends on how early in the day you cross. I would try to cross in the morning and ride to Saltillo; stay at either Rancho el Morillo, an old finca with lots of charm or El Huizache on Calle Carranza in the middle of town. The road from Acuña goes straight South through Zaragoza and Morelos. Also you can get your vehicle permit downrange at Allende, about 60 miles from the border on this route. Much easier to do it there than at the border. Suerte.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #12214
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Border Crossing

Wondering why more people from my neck of the woods, Colorado, don't cross the border at Columbus/Palomas. It is pretty much a straight shot down the 25 and a bit west, drop down from Deming, N.M. and you are there... and you don't have to ride in Texas, and the border crossing is easy with a short ride to Nuevo Casas Grandes for first night in Mexico in a decent place. ?? Can someone give me a clue? Google maps wants to route you through Juarez but I certainly did not want to cross there. The Palomas crossing rarely comes up on this site and it certainly seemed best to me from SW Colorado. Riding down from Denver in March might be a bit sketchy... certainly cold... there is lot of high country between Denver and the border and March can be the snowiest month.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 09:13 PM Reason: directional illiteracy
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #12215
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Wondering why more people from my neck of the woods, Colorado, don't cross the border at Columbus/Palomas. It is pretty much a straight shot down the 25 and a bit west, drop down from Deming, N.M. and you are there... and you don't have to ride in Texas, and the border crossing is easy with a short ride to Nuevo Casas Grandes for first night in Mexico in a decent place. ?? Can someone give me a clue? Google maps wants to route you through Juarez but I certainly did not want to cross there. The Palomas crossing rarely comes up on this site and it certainly seemed best to me from SW Colorado. Riding down from Denver in March might be a bit sketchy... certainly cold... there is lot of high country between Denver and the border and March can be the snowiest month.
Santa Teresa is easier
http://goo.gl/maps/AKJP7
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #12216
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Two riders from Denver crossing into Mexico for the month of March, planning to cross the border at Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna.

If it were you, what route would you take to clear the border area and where might you stop for that first night?

Thanks for your suggestions.

..................shu[/QUOTE]

If...It were me, i would spend the night at Acuna HOTEL VILLAREAL highly recomend it, mucho safe border town no sweat

Bato screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 05:53 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #12217
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
It all depends on how early in the day you cross. I would try to cross in the morning and ride to Saltillo; stay at either Rancho el Morillo, an old finca with lots of charm or El Huizache on Calle Carranza in the middle of town. The road from Acuña goes straight South through Zaragoza and Morelos. Also you can get your vehicle permit downrange at Allende, about 60 miles from the border on this route. Much easier to do it there than at the border. Suerte.
The site for: EL MORILLO
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #12218
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
We have crossed at Palomas before, on the way home from Copper Canyon.
It was small and easy and I'd go back through there again, no problem.
But, we wanted to head for a lower elevation to cross- as you say March can be kind of iffy for weather getting there. Chihuahua is about 4500' and Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna is about 1000'.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #12219
shu

Oddometer: 979
Bato, Jimmex, Blakebird, RMO- Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone else got a favorite route?

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #12220
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
I try to snag them and get them to cross at Agua Prieta or Naco and bring them down the Rio Sonora to Banamichi. Enlightened self interest and a really beautiful ride.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #12221
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
My new Kindle Fire went haywire on the recent trip with Tricepilot, Jimmex, and Schizzman, and I couldn't log on to the forum during the ride. That said, we did travel right through areas specifically warned about by the US State Department with nothing but good stories to tell. My favorite quote from the trip was when someone suggested that Trice was being perhaps a little too ebullient, when he said: "I frack joy. I can extract joy out of this table cloth". Hilarious and wonderful. It was great to finally hook up with ya'll for a ride here south of the border!

Sayulita

Hidden secrets of adventure riding in Mexico:

Lunch stop in Comala.

The volcano north of Comala.

Morelia.

View from the balcony of the Posada del Sol in Apatzingan.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #12222
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
It's "SAFE" to say a rider will not starve. Un plato medio por dos persona makes a light lunch....por favor
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #12223
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I try to snag them and get them to cross at Agua Prieta or Naco and bring them down the Rio Sonora to Banamichi. Enlightened self interest and a really beautiful ride.
I can attest to both the beautiful ride and the accommodations on offer at TC's place. Eventually you will come out on highway 16 which is a real treat to ride. Head east and make your way south however you decide. You wont regret it.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #12224
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
"Enlightened Self Interest"

Now there is an oxymoron!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #12225
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Very nice ride today from Sayulita to Ajijic (ah-hee-heeck), stopped in Talpa de Allende, and traversed the site, east of Mascota, of my only major motor cycle crash in Mexico.
Requerdo esto.