Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #12241
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
You talking the town of that name, or the infamous Monterrey gentlemen's club?
That section is quite often fogged in like a London movie set.

That, and the temperature change is very marked along that route.

Add trucks with suspect brakes and tipsy drivers, and there's more entertainment there then at any Monterrey club
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #12242
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,706
Yesterday's ride from La Manzanilla (overnighted with the World-rounding Duvals from Down Undah) to Zacatecas was an all day affair from 9am to 530pm as I rode MX80 through the coastal range and MX15 through the canyon lands north of Guadalajara. Guad traffic was as bad as last time so I'm done with that town for awhile.

The bike is running great as the engine continues to break in. Reached a new top speed out in the middle of nowhere and was still climbing when I backed it off. Gotta yank that tail box/drogue off the back and give it a proper go.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #12243
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Only known photograph of the infamous "El Perrito".....

Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #12244
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
The Perrito cartel are notorious for doing nasty things on the leg of an unsuspecting gringo!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #12245
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The Perrito cartel are notorious for doing nasty things on the leg of an unsuspecting gringo!
Let's go to the videotape:

Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #12246
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Damn Trice, what have you got packed in there? Dead midgets or a final drive or two for the bike?
Extra fuel. For those trip legs when 35 liters is just not enough.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #12247
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Extra fuel. For those trip legs when 35 liters is just not enough.
You pulling my leg or doing the Perrito cartel?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #12248
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Hi SchizzMan, FYI, there is a landmark restaurant in downtown Zac, located on the street below the Cathedral called La Cuija. If you get a chance the asado there is ridiculously good! See you in DGO soon. Looks like it will start warming up by Friday. Don't miss the church of Santo Nino in Plateros!
Thanks Mang! Will check out La Cuija tonight and Sto. Niño enroute to Casa SR.

El Museo Rafael Coronel in Zac is closed today. Will go tomorrow to see the mask collection Carol and Ken recommended.

ZAC is definitely worth parking the bike for a few days to explore. Staying at Hostal Villa Colonial where the Duvals stayed. Sin calefacción!
When I arrived yesterday the street was all torn up. Parked around the corner at the door to my room in the other building.

When I told the Duvals I was heading to ZAC enroute to DGO they recommended the Hostal where they stayed for two months. Good place. I think they were also hoping I'd recover this which they had left behind.

Will transport to Casa SR for them to pick up on their way north.

SchizzMan screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 10:38 AM
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #12249
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
you pulling my leg or doing the perrito cartel?

Haciendo patas de perro.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #12250
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

This is this morning after leaving Matehuala. It's about 9:30 am as this was shot.

Got home later this afternoon

This is that twisty stretch on the Grand Funk Railroad, Mx57D, as you are coming to Saltillo where it meets up with Mx40D headed to Monterrey.

I've never seen so much truck traffic on the highway headed north. México's economy is rising. Fast.

When I get home from trips, I get busy with other things and lose the immediate sense of certain things. Hopefully some of the GoPro footage will help me capture and keep the vibe as close to what I felt.
Economics are indeed fantastico in Me-hico nowadays

That stretch of 57 right there iirc, is where the us embassy suburban was ambushed at a 'fake' embassy checkpoint and one dea agent killed, another wounded a few years ago.

And if I may add a recommendation iffin its the twisties you're after, make a left in San Luis Potosi towards Rio Verde, to Valles. Then right down 85 south and make a way over towards San Juan del Rio, back north on 120 towards Jalpan and Xilitia.... Extra credit if you divert off 85 towards 37 or 105.... Tons of incredibly twistyness, some of the best in the world around there. Jealous! I have friends and places to stay all around that area, haven't been on it on 2 wheels since 2007. :'(

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 03:43 PM
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #12251
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
My wife and I went to Puerto Vallarta way back in 1987(?). I kind of liked it. She hated it. I guess that she had some other vision of Mexico in her mind. A tropical paradise, it isn't. The place was pretty dirty, overall, and we did not feel very safe, even back then, so we tried to stay where the other tourists were. There were police with M-16's pretty much everywhere, and we always had this feeling that things could turn to shit at any time. The nightclub scene was pretty amazing, but I remember that we always seemed to be out of sync with everything. For the most part, people woke up at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and partied until sunrise. We would go out to dinner at 6 or 7 PM, and the place would be deserted. The crowd would come in at 11 or 12. We were told by the Hotel staff to stay off of the beach at night, or we might never come back. We listened. Stuff was inexpensive, in general, but seeing how the general population lived was kind of disturbing.
Right around that time, Cancun was the place to go, not PV, but we got a deal and off we went.
I am certain that my wife would never go back. Not even if it was free. Even though this thread is mostly assuring us that the place is safe, with my luck, I would find the bad guys. It's just not worth the risk.
Costa Rica?...Maybe, but gringo's disappear there as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #12252
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
And if I may add a recommendation iffin its the twisties you're after, make a left in San Luis Potosi towards Rio Verde, to Valles. Then right down 85 south and make a way over towards San Juan del Rio, back north on 120 towards Jalpan and Xilitia.... Extra credit if you divert off 85 towards 37 or 105.... Tons of incredibly twistyness, some of the best in the world around there. Jealous! I have friends and places to stay all around that area, haven't been on it on 2 wheels since 2007. :'(
Ah, buena sugerencia, but if I may ask you to hold your chaps, more video coming of Mil Cumbres and other delights.

Sorry though, I've ridden those roads you mention but didn't have the GoPro with me. You'll have to take my word for it.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #12253
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
That stretch of 57 right there iirc, is where the us embassy suburban was ambushed at a 'fake' embassy checkpoint and one dea agent killed, another wounded a few years ago.
Ah, no.

That incident happened near the town of Santa Maria Del Rio, south of San Luis Potosi
Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #12254
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
My wife and I went to Puerto Vallarta way back in 1987(?).

We were told by the Hotel staff to stay off of the beach at night, or we might never come back.
That's because it was..........................The Night of the Iguana

Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #12255
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 589
Eight months ago I returned to USA from living in Costa Rica for two years. Two hours ago I returned from a nine day ride thru the Copper Canyon area of Mexico. This was my 8th trip into Mexico. Have ridden north to south and east to west in that country as I have in Costa Rica. Have never felt any more danger than I normally feel in the USA which I have traveled south to north and east to west. During the past eight years I have spent about five of them someplace in Central America. I do a lot of the "night life" in those countries and spend a lot of time with local people. I'm not sure how to find problems/trouble in these countries but I haven't been able to.

The Hondurus police played with me a little one day but nothing that I haven't seen happen in USA. All other times I have been treated with professional conduct and helpfulness even letting me out of some serious speeding issues without even asking for a propina.

I just cannot say enough good about the Central American people except possibly some rudeness in Belize.

Just my experience and two cents!

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
My wife and I went to Puerto Vallarta way back in 1987(?). I kind of liked it. She hated it. I guess that she had some other vision of Mexico in her mind. A tropical paradise, it isn't. The place was pretty dirty, overall, and we did not feel very safe, even back then, so we tried to stay where the other tourists were. There were police with M-16's pretty much everywhere, and we always had this feeling that things could turn to shit at any time. The nightclub scene was pretty amazing, but I remember that we always seemed to be out of sync with everything. For the most part, people woke up at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and partied until sunrise. We would go out to dinner at 6 or 7 PM, and the place would be deserted. The crowd would come in at 11 or 12. We were told by the Hotel staff to stay off of the beach at night, or we might never come back. We listened. Stuff was inexpensive, in general, but seeing how the general population lived was kind of disturbing.
Right around that time, Cancun was the place to go, not PV, but we got a deal and off we went.
I am certain that my wife would never go back. Not even if it was free. Even though this thread is mostly assuring us that the place is safe, with my luck, I would find the bad guys. It's just not worth the risk.
Costa Rica?...Maybe, but gringo's disappear there as well.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote