Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #12316
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
Yep, my FPC went at around 48,000kms in Tlapacoyan after a nice blast down that curve filled stretch from Teziutlan with the Mystery Rider on his bagger and Craneguy on his Big-Strom. Stopped to take a pic at the ADV Rider statue on a sidestreet there and it was a no start situation, no warning, nada. Engine would crank away but no lighting of the fire. Used a size 10 torx to pull the controller, looked the Mystery Rider square in the eye and cut the yellow and blue wires and connector off the bottom and carefully spliced the blue to the brown and the yellow into the blue/green. The blue/red is left as is. Fired right up and the splice bypass got me home via the Calavera (spooky boo) route to Altotonga and took the cuota back, no drama. Beats riding the AU local bus for 250kms on a hot Saturday afternoon.
Splice fix came from Tim Cullis who got stuck in Morocco and made it out ok. The splice beats the pricey Burns cable, you dont have to disconnect when you stop the bike, it works with the ignition switch.
An old no good FPC can be scavenged to make a tidy plug and play cable that will get you home. I have one now on my bike along with a size 10 torx key. Had it all done by the time the Mystery Rider and Craneguy finished their cigars.
Kept the mosquitoes away!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #12317
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
!Inspeccion (examen?) Sorprensa!
Those are the worst kind!
That crane job looks expensive, even in Mexico.
What happened? Did the truck with the yellow crane break the bridge?
Bato, isn't Is Mexico Safe the most productive thing we can do?
Hoy Es Viernes!
(back to work...)
The Federaly said someone had dropped that yellow submarine in a creek thats all the info we were able to get because he was acting suspicious and we didn't want to pressure him too much

Saludos
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #12318
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Naw! It was all that good clean living!
I'm living good and clean at the moment after a hot shower and a load of laundry at Casa SR where we're resting up to ride my favorite road, the Espinazo del Diablo, to Mazatlan. Will also ride to the Baluarte Bridge if we can sneak through.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #12319
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yep, my FPC went at around 48,000kms in Tlapacoyan after a nice blast down that curve filled stretch from Teziutlan with the Mystery Rider on his bagger and Craneguy on his Big-Strom. Stopped to take a pic at the ADV Rider statue on a sidestreet there and it was a no start situation, no warning, nada. Engine would crank away but no lighting of the fire. Used a size 10 torx to pull the controller, looked the Mystery Rider square in the eye and cut the yellow and blue wires and connector off the bottom and carefully spliced the blue to the brown and the yellow into the blue/green. The blue/red is left as is. Fired right up and the splice bypass got me home via the Calavera (spooky boo) route to Altotonga and took the cuota back, no drama. Beats riding the AU local bus for 250kms on a hot Saturday afternoon.
Splice fix came from Tim Cullis who got stuck in Morocco and made it out ok. The splice beats the pricey Burns cable, you dont have to disconnect when you stop the bike, it works with the ignition switch.
An old no good FPC can be scavenged to make a tidy plug and play cable that will get you home. I have one now on my bike along with a size 10 torx key. Had it all done by the time the Mystery Rider and Craneguy finished their cigars.
Kept the mosquitoes away!

The evil Fuel Pump Controller

There is a lot of road wisdom in Mike's post, I wonder if Mexico adventurers with beemers can spot it all.

Highlites in yellow to give a good start.

Note: My research says #20 torx bit not #10, but hey, you did the job in real life not I
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #12320
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I'm living good and clean at the moment after a hot shower and a load of laundry at Casa SR
If Yesenia makes you pollo y mole and you brag about it I will shoot you
Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #12321
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,049
noobie here

.If I should ask my questions elsewhere let me know.

A little background. Ive traveled all over US and Canada but I dont think that really counts but I did spend a month in India with misery goat 3 years ago.

Open to suggestions on this basic trip:

Cross border at Columbia instead of Laredo and heading to San Miguel de Allende to visit a buddy's dad who has a house there.
*should I head to route 85 to Monterrey or is route 1 safe. I keep reading get away from the border

Go to Monterrey or Saltillo see El Salto Falls
*any recommended places to stay

Head to Real Catorce for a night
*route 54 ok?

At this point I should start feeling g safe?

Then heading into San Miguel. I need to do some more research around San Miguel but I hear tricepilot mentioning guanajunta.

I don't know how to speak spanish

Thanks

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #12322
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Hola Goonie and bienvenidos

I like your plan, just a few adds:

Stop by Casona Tricepilot on your way through Texas. I can help you will further details and mapping.

For this trip you should use the autopistas 85D, 40D and 57D.

Cross at the Colombia Bridge, using Tx255 tollway bypass off of I35 (just a couple of bucks, the bill is mailed to you). When I came back through the Colombia this past Tuesday I was the only person there using the crossing. Not kidding. Fast.

Don't stop in Monterrey, it will be too soon after the border crossing and an unnecessary hassle.

Stop in Saltillo. Any place will be fine but quite often the Camino Real (expensive) or the Hotel Huizache or Rancho El Morillo are used. A taxi driver can lead you to any of these places so don't obsess over mapping unless you want to.

At Matehuala you make the right turn to Real de Catorce. Nice hotel there is the Hotel Real. Don't leave the next day though, spend at least one full day exploring. Take a horse up to the mines.

In San Miguel de Allende your good bet is Posada de las Monjas. Have am coffee at Mesa Grande at the corner of Zacateros and Pila Seca.

José Lopez runs the front desk and will give you a special rate if you mention my name ()
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #12323
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

It was a size 10 on mine, the real little guy, but you can use the pointy pliers of a Leatherman in a pinch (pinch...get it? At times I amuse myself), they are not in real tight, very wide thread oddball little screws. The big GS might use a 20 or have used a 20 in the past. I am curious (yellow, now who remembers that flick?) and I will investigate that. The Trice "spare back up" method is really ideal, but I hated the thought of giving Motorrad $2,100 pesos for the priveledge of having a spare in my tankbag. The plug and play with a torx key can be zip tied to the frame for future use for yourself or a friend. If you are doing a group ride, you could divide up the neccesary spares amongst the group, but some poor SOB would end up carting around the complete final drive LOL!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #12324
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I draw the line at final drive spare bits and the ilk. I couldn't fix it anyway.

The point is to suggest to the casual reader that one doesn't have to be sidelined in Mexico in situations where relatively basic preparedness can make it just an interesting story and not a major pain in the ass.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #12325
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Hola Goonie and bienvenidos

I like your plan, just a few adds:

Stop by Casona Tricepilot on your way through Texas. I can help you will further details and mapping.

For this trip you should use the autopistas 85D, 40D and 57D.

Cross at the Colombia Bridge, using Tx255 tollway bypass off of I35 (just a couple of bucks, the bill is mailed to you). When I came back through the Colombia this past Tuesday I was the only person there using the crossing. Not kidding. Fast.

Don't stop in Monterrey, it will be too soon after the border crossing and an unnecessary hassle.

Stop in Saltillo. Any place will be fine but quite often the Camino Real (expensive) or the Hotel Huizache or Rancho El Morillo are used. A taxi driver can lead you to any of these places so don't obsess over mapping unless you want to.

At Matehuala you make the right turn to Real de Catorce. Nice hotel there is the Hotel Real. Don't leave the next day though, spend at least one full day exploring. Take a horse up to the mines.

In San Miguel de Allende your good bet is Posada de las Monjas. Have am coffee at Mesa Grande at the corner of Zacateros and Pila Seca.

José Lopez runs the front desk and will give you a special rate if you mention my name ()
Gracias!

Thanks for the info. We'll. Stick to 85, 40,57. We have a place to stay in San Miguel. We're going to be in Austin so I'll give you a heads up on our way through and maybe I can buy lunch and look at maps.

Ok to continue to ask questions here? They might have nothing to do with safty.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #12326
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I hear ya loud and clear! When I first got the F bike, I joined a couple of owners forums. Tim Cullis had the problem way back with a new bike relatively early in the production run. I downloaded a PDF of his ingenious splice fix into my cel phone along with a complete PDF file of the manual for my bike and a couple of other necessary (IMHO) other things.
Paid me back in spades to have that with me because, though I had memorized the procedure, I hadn't memorized the wire color connects, a minute in the shade reading the file on my phone had me making the right connects.
You are correct on the preventative maintenance idea, if you have any second thoughts about a piece on your bike before venturing out in Mexico, especially with a group (because you will drag them down with you and spoil their ride day or ride event, too if you are not prepared) just change out the part. Finding a good place to stash a bike in a strange, hot, little town in the middle of nowhere is going to take a little while. Then, getting the bus schedule and sitting on your tired arse waiting for the AU or some chicken bus and riding it a few hundred kms will probably not be the life changing event Hollywood and their happy endings would make it out to be.

Also, always carry at least a liter and a half of water and some form of food, and something to cover your head with, and at least a knife and a lighter, always.

That is a rule I never bend or break especially when I travel alone.

The items take up very little space in your tankbag and you do not want to be stuck in 45c heat without liquids. I see a lot of guys merely hydrate themselves at a convenient store or Oxxo but if you have trouble back in the sticks off the map, you'll be drinking out of a creek if you can find one. With today's multitools and specialty clothing, it makes things a lot easier than a couple of decades ago, no need to suffer.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #12327
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Like that's a requirement
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #12328
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Gracias!

Thanks for the info. We'll. Stick to 85, 40,57. We have a place to stay in San Miguel. We're going to be in Austin so I'll give you a heads up on our way through and maybe I can buy lunch and look at maps.

When you leave Real de 14 don't backtrack to Matehuala, rather take the road (Mex 63) which goes down to San Luis P. Its interesting and Mex 57 is not.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #12329
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Trice, I forgot to mention that the headcovering is a doo- rag with flames and skulls on it and I clench the knife between my teeth when I go into a Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville franchise bar. I then clench my loins with the thought of paying a bar tab in one.
$24 for 2 drinks, a la chingada...!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #12330
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Goonie,

Bienvenidos! Trice has it right.

One thing I might change however is when you cross into Mexico. If you have your paperwork already done in advance and are lodging at the border the night before you cross, then I would cross at Laredo and not Colombia. Coming out I would cross back into the US at Colombia, but going in I cross at the Laredos. There is no line waiting to get in, and if you get your tourist card the evening before and have your TVIP mailed to you, then you just ride on through in the morning.

Here's the process I use.

1. TVIP in advance via internet.
2. Day ride from Houston to Laredo. Check in at La Posada hotel (recommended by Trice).
3. Walk across the bridge into Nuevo Laredo, get the tourist card at the end of the bridge and walk directly back to the US. This is the bridge that is to the right of the hotel as you are looking at Mexico and there is never a queue there for the tourist card. They will not issue you a TVIP from this bridge but will send you to the other bridge. So this only applies if you did the TVIP in advance.
4. Have a steak at the steakhouse next door to La Posada when you walk back across the bridge. Nice bar and you can smoke a cigar on the patio.
5. At dawn ride into Nuevo Laredo over the bridge that is to the left of the hotel as you are looking at Mexico.
6. Once you cross that bridge you make one left turn and one right turn and then you are on the highway loop that will take you to Monterrey. Other than the left and right turn you completely bypass Nuevo Laredo via the highway loop. There is no queue to cross in.
7. On the return I cross at Colombia to avoid any queues.

However, if you are not staying at the border but are staying in Austin or San Antonio, etc., then I would cross in at Colombia. You can do the tourist card and the TVIP there without a queue.

For Saltillo I always recommend El Morrillo. It is on the south side of town. This means when you check out in the morning you are already on the south side of town and won't have to find your way through the city to catch the south bound highways 54/57. After you check into El Morrillo, if you feel like going into town just call a taxi. Good restaurant in town called El Tapanco and it's safe to walk around the center of town. Same family that owns El Morrillo owns the restaurant. Nice bar in the restaurant, you can smoke a cigar on the patio. There's also an Irish pub next door (the Irish are everywhere when it comes to drinking).

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote