Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #12661
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Carrie,
If you have enough time, make sure to ride over the Sierra to Oaxaca on Mex 175, and if you have even more time, go on to P. Escondido on either Mex 175 or Mex 131. Some of the best riding in Mexico. Saludos, Jim
Yea I hear those are good roads. What's the 190 from Oaxaca to Salina Cruz like?
We did manage to see Las Posas as you had suggested earlier. We do plan for Oaxaca but we only got 30 days of Mex Ins so we may have to carve out for the border as we will run out. We don't travel very far / fast. -Kari -
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #12662
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Been a looong time since I've been there, but I hear that it's a bit safer than 10 yrs ago. You kind of need to still know when to offer a bribe or not, how much or little, and when to kiss @$$ a little but not too much. Kind of like many places in the US. I still would be very careful with the ladies and kids. Kidnapping is as bad as ever there. But guys on bikes that don't look too wealthy seem to mainly be ok. It used to be that the farther south you went the better, and the more rural the better. Kind of like the US again!

Where I've spent alot of time is farther south in Hondo and C-Rica. I usually felt safer there than most places and had alot of fun. I hear that even most of Nicaragua is not too bad these days.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #12663
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
BiciMapas

BiciMapas
Someone asked about BiciMapas. I have this data base loaded on my Garmin Montana 650t. It is far more detailed than the Garmin NT North America data base. I A B compared them one afternoon by alternately turning them on and off. I was amazed at the detail that disappeared when I turned off the BiciMapas. They have just issued an update that I will download as soon as I get to a PC with Garmin Mapsource and enough bandwidth to download this large file. No doubt that it is not perfect, none of these things are, but this one seems pretty good so far.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #12664
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
bicimapas
someone asked about bicimapas. I have this data base loaded on my garmin montana 650t. It is far more detailed than the garmin nt north america data base. I a b compared them one afternoon by alternately turning them on and off. I was amazed at the detail that disappeared when i turned off the bicimapas. They have just issued an update that i will download as soon as i get to a pc with garmin mapsource and enough bandwidth to download this large file. No doubt that it is not perfect, none of these things are, but this one seems pretty good so far.
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #12665
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Ah yes, Mexican weather girls. One of my all time favorites, Sugey Abrego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiL2sc69mtU Remember this one Trice? I first saw it in one of your ride reports some time ago. Thanks again!
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #12666
DougLaird
Doug

Oddometer: 7
Laugh

Quote:
It has been laid out here in such tiresome detail so many times. This stuff is not rocket science, you don't need to speak Spanish to do it, Banjercito has a phone # you can call at which there is english speaking assistance, I posted that number a few pages back, I am in Chile now and do not have it at my fingertips. This is so simple to do at the border that I really don't understand why people put themselves through the hassle at home. The TVIP runs congruently with and co-terminates with the tourist visa. The first thing you do at the border is to get the tourist visa and ask for 180 days because you plan to be traveling in Mexico for 180 days, say nothing more. With your fresh new visa in hand you go to the Banjercito counter or office and ask for your TVIP, you do not need to show the title, only the valid registration card. All of your paperwork: passport, vehicle registration, and credit card must have the same name on it. If your passport says John Paul Jones then your registration and credit card must say John Paul Jones, not John P Jones or you will have some 'splainin to do. Yes, for the umpeenth and forty two time, they charge your credit card... what they charge seems to be based on the value of the vehicle.... it is nearly $400 or more, it is refundable if you pay attention and close the TVIP when you leave Mexico. If you don't close the TVIP you don't get your money back and you can never bring another vehicle into Mexico as long as that TVIP is open, and you are fined for having an open TVIP after it and your tourist visa have expired. If all of your paperwork is in order you should have no trouble at the border. Why lay on an extra layer of bureaucracy at a consular office in the US. Yeah sure, it is possible to do it on line but it does take more time and things can go back and forth.
100% Correct!
DougLaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #12667
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
It has been laid out here in such tiresome detail so many times. This stuff is not rocket science, you don't need to speak Spanish to do it, Banjercito has a phone # you can call at which there is english speaking assistance, I posted that number a few pages back, I am in Chile now and do not have it at my fingertips. This is so simple to do at the border that I really don't understand why people put themselves through the hassle at home. The TVIP runs congruently with and co-terminates with the tourist visa. The first thing you do at the border is to get the tourist visa and ask for 180 days because you plan to be traveling in Mexico for 180 days, say nothing more. With your fresh new visa in hand you go to the Banjercito counter or office and ask for your TVIP, you do not need to show the title, only the valid registration card. All of your paperwork: passport, vehicle registration, and credit card must have the same name on it. If your passport says John Paul Jones then your registration and credit card must say John Paul Jones, not John P Jones or you will have some 'splainin to do. Yes, for the umpeenth and forty two time, they charge your credit card... what they charge seems to be based on the value of the vehicle.... it is nearly $400 or more, it is refundable if you pay attention and close the TVIP when you leave Mexico. If you don't close the TVIP you don't get your money back and you can never bring another vehicle into Mexico as long as that TVIP is open, and you are fined for having an open TVIP after it and your tourist visa have expired. If all of your paperwork is in order you should have no trouble at the border. Why lay on an extra layer of bureaucracy at a consular office in the US. Yeah sure, it is possible to do it on line but it does take more time and things can go back and forth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLaird View Post
100% Correct!
Well, let's call it 98% correct.

My passport and vehicle registration spell out my first and middle names but my credit card has only my initials. Never had a problem going back to 1992 when I was getting permits for private aircraft. Did see a woman refused by Banjercito at Puente Colombia because her credit card used her nickname instead of her given name. But initials seem to be OK.

I do go with RMO on getting the TVIP at the border ever since a Banjercito paperwork glitch cost me a planned trip Down South 2 years ago. YMMV.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #12668
john3500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Mexico maps

Where can I purchase Mexico map for my Garmin that shows more detail than the Garmin na issue?
john3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #12669
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3500 View Post
Where can I purchase Mexico map for my Garmin that shows more detail than the Garmin na issue?
I can draw you one for 50 pesos
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #12670
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiL2sc69mtU Remember this one Trice? I first saw it in one of your ride reports some time ago. Thanks again!
thanks for just waisting 1hr of my life.
gotta go now have check the weather in mexico. lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #12671
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

Ah, Sugey

Everyone loves a little with their clima
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #12672
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Now that, ladies and gentleman, is entertainment!

Hey Hekto, glad you had fun yesterday, and your editing skills will mean that Trice doesn't have to sketch out routes on the back of serviettes.

You are going to really enjoy that route through Xoxocotla, you have some good luck with the weather, just remember to avoid the coast today and tomorrow. Also, with yesterday's ride and the ride you did from Tlapacoyan to Teziutlan on your run from Papantla to Perote (or did you do Tlapacoyan to Altotonga and then to Perote????? in which case you will be sworn to secrecy for that one), you have got some good kms on some decent roads here.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #12673
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Bicimapas.com can't beat Trice's discount price but you can download it to your GPS. So, there's that, at least.

I use Bicimapas.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #12674
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Milky Way-Via lactea

Lyrics

Bato screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 08:43 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #12675
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Morning Paper

Here for the Community Events section of our little corner of the ADV "paper" I submit the following interesting news item: There is an ongoing ADV clampdown on PayPal pleas for any cause.

FYI and general awareness, the moderators have begun to deploy a no-PayPal plea policy for either (1) Donating to a "gas fund" for a rider's adventure and (2) Similar pleas to help people in distress, i.e., victims of accidents or theft. Right here in the IMS thread, the recent RMO effort to help Doña Sara is an example.

This is not an indictment of the worthiness of the cause, rather, a move mandated by the proliferation of these pleas and the use of ADV, a privately held entity, as a platform to generate cash. In and of itself, many of the causes are noble. It's when wrenches get thrown in the gears by a few that the machine begins to grind.

Veterans of the site will remember the Kaneman saga and the meltdown that ensued. Reference "Quit my job to go on a "little ride"....US Tour '07". This is certainly one of the biggest examples of a PayPal controversy but certainly, if the subject ended with Kaneman, we wouldn't be talking about PayPal pleas here today.

The recent effort by our own Rocky Mountain Oyster to help make whole our friend Doña Sara from San Miguel de Allende is an example of the use of this site to bring together like minded souls to assist someone not even connected to adventure riding other than to say one of her students in Spanish school was from such a community, and in the helping, what David did reflected greatly upon that community and, by any sense of the definition, was a noble cause.

It is also important to stress that it isn't the Kaneman thread but the recent promulgation of threads that are including PayPal requests which is pushing the tighter policy. That, and I must stress I have no personal example of the following point being made, not all PayPal requests are on a noble footing.

I am not a moderator, but I do know a few, and they are all excellent individuals with a tough job to do. They have supported the effort in the IMS thread directly, and outstandingly, when the exceedingly rare occasion has popped up where we have had to do some house cleaning. Ergo, I fully support the mods decision on this, as I have an understanding of the context within which they are enforcing this policy. At the same time, I am continuing to cheer what David did for someone who is not even a rider and who lives in Mexico, and who was, I'm sure, deeply touched by our moto community. We have to understand that because of the wide audience ADV has, and where the path of PayPal pleas has led, that the mods have to clamp down, and I support their decision.

If, in the future, an urge to assist someone who is connected to the IMS thread community arises, in any way similar in nature to what RMO put together or even different, I have thought of ways to tackle it off-line and keep the formality of ADV out of it. All this in keeping with the moderators wishes and the ADV policy.

When that happens, you can PM me and I'll share my thoughts.

tricepilot screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 09:01 AM