Oddometer: 8,199
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #12677
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
**SNIP** There is an ongoing ADV clampdown on PayPal pleas for any cause.**SNIP**
Well stated my friend. Quick look-see did not yield evidence of a clamp down. Is this something nascent, perhaps a private conversation amongst the mods (ahead of the actual announcement) that has started to leak out?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #12678
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Well stated my friend. Quick look-see did not yield evidence of a clamp down. Is this something nascent, perhaps a private conversation amongst the mods (ahead of the actual announcement) that has started to leak out?
I was contacted directly in connection to a re-post I personally did supporting someone else's PayPal link for a downed rider (some will recall the recent biff of Trevor). In addition, I know that David was contacted directly in relation to the aforementioned PayPal effort in this thread on behalf of Sara. He and I traded PMs on that situation yesterday.

Personally I was not contacted about any issues in Ride Reports, and although being a frequent reader of same I do know of the existence of PayPal links posted by some authors, I'm not the go-to guy for how the policy deployment is going in that department.

I will state, for the record, that the moderator that contacted me is probably the biggest asset to ADV behind Baldy, and does, and has done, more for this site than practically anyone I know of. He fully understands and appreciates the good side of the coin, which, unfortunately, cannot be disassociated with the bad side. I can't begin to imagine the workload involved if each individual case had to be studied for it to remain on the site on merit.

tricepilot screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 09:56 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #12679
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,567
I can't believe that no one would want to contribute to my 'Help Mark Ride Aimlessly Drinking Beer, Eating Street Tacos and Ooogling Dark Haired Young Women Tour de Mexico'

I don't really want contributions of money, but I'm looking for volunteers to come to work for me. As little as one day, but a week will get you a autographed postcard from Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan, and you can help yourself to any Mexican beer in my fridge (sorry PJ- no Indio in Ohio). Knowledge of computers and marketing will be handy.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #12680
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
Damn. There goes my "I need a Multistrada to help orphans and MikeMike" plan.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #12681
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,567
Sh1t!

I forgot about the orphans.

If you donate to my ride, I'll visit an orphanage AND send you an orphan.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #12682
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
. Knowledge of computers and marketing will be handy.

Sounds like work.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #12683
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Sh1t!

I forgot about the orphans.

If you donate to my ride, I'll visit an orphanage AND send you an orphan.
Orphans, what orphans?

Oops, busted
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #12684
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
John3500-BiciMapas4

BiciMapas is downloadable to Garmin GPS. You will need to have Garmin Mapsource loaded on your computer although they do have a workaround on the BiciMapas site but it is just plain easier to download the free Garmin Mapsource because there are updates every six months to BiciMapas. It is really simple, you pay them, and within 24 hourse, next bidness day on the weekend they send you an unlock code and away you go. All very clear. It is a large file and takes a couple of hours even with a high speed internet connections so put the first coat of paint on a wall or something while it downloads. I have been using it with some success on my Garmin Montana 650t although I did end up chasing my tail as the sun was going down somewhere near Mexico City as I had neglected to turn off the auto re-route... it will definitely get you lost and going in circles. Dan at Globeriders told us this in a GPS class and it is just one of the myriad things that my old brain failed to process. The biggest problem with GPS' and data bases is the user. I do not find them particularly simple or intuitive so I make a lot of mistakes.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #12685
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Almost Free Mexico Map

Trice writes those in what would appear to be blood but it is actually disappearing ink and this is simply a ruse to raise money for his next Mexico trip.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #12686
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
MikeMike: we did er ! We even went part way up to the telescope near Antitzantla.
We entered from Mendoza and exited to Azumbilla. All I can say is "WOW" what a ride! 3 days now of riding that stuff. I don't know if today was the best, it was some amazing roads. Almost too much. We stayed in Ciudad Serdan last night, maybe we should have went further to Orizaba so today's ride would have been a bit shorter.

Has Gran Pasaino ridden this stuff?

Wow

Hektoglider screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 07:14 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #12687
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
The Moderators should put up a paypal account for themselves. I'd way rather send them a few bucks for keeping this site going then finance some guys vacation.
LINK
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #12688
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Makes sense to me. If, in fact, they have machine guns then it sounds like they came from someone's supply, like the state police, that Army arsenal across from the airport in Reynosa, or (and here's a good thought) the Southern Cartel is organizing the vigilantes.

I notice that Arte and Andres have the good sense not to comment but I am actually feeling better about riding down there, to tell y'all the truth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
is hard to tell, but mostly if they are not all in camo gear and at least two hummies fully loaded at roadside, then could be any type of "reinforcement team"

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #12689
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,094
Well. The die is cast. :) The game is afoot.

The boys and I are Leaving for Mexico next Thursday. Terrapinneck is coming here Wednesday night. We will load everything up and haul ass down to the RGV. Schizz may or may not be able to join us for a bit. Short trip but our first in 3.5 years to Mexico. There will be more.

WeazyBuddha has offered up his parking slab.

Crossing at Pharr.

Check in on my trip planning thread with any great dirt road suggestions (and any other suggestions) south of Cd. Victoria and North of Ixmiquilpan.

Nephews and I are excited. We thank y'all for the inspiration and Mexico expertise.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #12690
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
MikeMike: we did er ! We even went part way up to the telescope near Antitzantla.
We entered from Mendoza and exited to Azumbilla. All I can say is "WOW" what a ride! 3 days now of riding that stuff. I don't know if today was the best, it was some amazing roads. Almost too much. We stayed in Ciudad Serdan last night, maybe we should have went further to Orizaba so today's ride would have been a bit shorter.

Has Gran Pasaino ridden this stuff?

Wow
Glad you enjoyed it! Imagine, riding like that is available just two easy days from the US border. It's almost criminal ha,ha!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote