WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,136
on the road id discussion
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #12737
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,782
To Road ID or not to Road ID, that is the question.

If you have an accident in Mexico and are alone, here is what will happen.
First, you will have to survive the "first aid" from whoever happens by and who actually wants to deal with the sht you have found yourself in. They might just drive on, walk on, or stand there and say a few "Hail Mary's" or throw one for you.

If they throw one, and it is caught by someone else, you are in luck, Diego Flutie. If not, you are likely going to have to wait to flag a taxi (a taxi will likely cross your path at least once a day no matter where you are in Mexico if there is any sort of road) and look for a Cruz Roja clinic or a doctor that is open. So far the ID doesn't work.

If you are unconscious and someone is trying to help you, they might find the ID as they rifle your pockets, or they will find the ID as they try to help you. So far the ID might work or get turned into a bracelet for someone's kid.

If they get you to a clinic, the Cruz Roja people will likely have a look at it and probably make an attempt to decipher it but having something shiny distracting someone in an emergency is debatable. So far the ID might work.

If the Ministerio Publico gets involved (and yes, they will but only if they happen to be around, happen to be working, happen to give a damn, and are not on vacation or "un descanso social") they will examine the ID and likely try to use it.

By this time, if your wallet was not stolen, they will have done the usual Mexican wallet biopsy procedure and removed a layer or two which they might put back or they might not, and they will have found your driver's license and if you had your passport around your neck in a carry pouch like some people do, they will have had a peek at that, too.

What is most likely is that someone will give you a ride to a clinic or call the authorities if they think you are not going to make it and then they will split, fast. An accident with a foreigner here means bureaucracy that is exponential to the normal bureaucracy, not to mention a mix up that someone might think they were responsible for whatever has happened. This is true moreso in the rural areas rather than urban areas.

The ID is a great idea if it is in Spanish/English and you are traveling solo or if you are admitted to a clinic or hospital and they don't cut it off your wrist.

I don't know how many of you guys have any sort of helmet removal warning in Spanish on your helmets?
Not a bad idea.

Try this:

EN CASO DE ACCIDENTE NO QUITAR EL CASCO

or

EN CASO DE ACCIDENTE NO ME QUITEN EL CASCO

Having one or a couple of those stickers on your helmet can help you a lot. IMHO

I don't think a bracelet can hurt, but I do think it might be of limited use depending on circumstances. Usually, Mexican driver's licenses have your blood type on them, they have been doing that here for years.

The absolute best ID for medical emergencies is having a working Visa gold card duct taped to your forehead.

Or you can just get real lucky like a friend of mine and have an accident and have a trucker stop who recognizes you from the lunch stop a few hours back, who then picked up all his belongings and kept them safe for him while another guy who speaks English stopped and called me on my friend's cel phone to report the accident, while a pair of Cruz Roja paramedics with recently updated training, supplies, and a burning itch to show off their newly acquired updated skills happen by in their ambulance and patched him up for free.

Sometimes the Hail Mary's work...ask the aforementioned Diego Flutie.

Now, the much anticipated re-match! Mexican tag team lucha libre at it's absolute best!

Helmet ID sticker and St. Christopher medallion vs. Road ID and Blood Type sticker

MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #12738
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,474
St. Chris is looking better all along !
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #12739
Oneyedjack
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I noticed that the mexican motorcycle insurance thru mexadventure includes air ambulance coverage, among other things. Probably wouldn't be as good as Medjet coverage. Heard of anyone using this coverage through mexadventure?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #12740
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I went back over to Los Muertos Microbrewery in PV this afternoon to give it another try. The three brews they had today were a IPA, an amber ale, and a golden ale. I'm not a fan of IPA., so I sampled the other two; UGH ! I opted instead for a Pacifico. I ordered some wings and fries. The wings were pretty good and the fries were undercooked. I plan to give them one more try, but it won't be until next year. I'm not sure if they will still be there. I guess it will depend on how well capitalized they are.
I think I'll open a bottle of Cabernet now as Mrs. Ace is thirsty.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #12741
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I went back over to Los Muertos Microbrewery in PV this afternoon to give it another try. The three brews they had today were a IPA, an amber ale, and a golden ale. I'm not a fan of IPA., so I sampled the other two; UGH ! I opted instead for a Pacifico. I ordered some wings and fries. The wings were pretty good and the fries were undercooked. I plan to give them one more try.......
Did you give the above feedback to the management of Los Muertos?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #12742
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I went back over to Los Muertos Microbrewery in PV this afternoon to give it another try. The three brews they had today were a IPA, an amber ale, and a golden ale. I'm not a fan of IPA., so I sampled the other two; UGH ! I opted instead for a Pacifico. I ordered some wings and fries. The wings were pretty good and the fries were undercooked. I plan to give them one more try, but it won't be until next year. I'm not sure if they will still be there. I guess it will depend on how well capitalized they are.
I think I'll open a bottle of Cabernet now as Mrs. Ace is thirsty.
Uh oh.

They shouldn't be screwing up an amber ale or a golden ale. Those aren't complicated brews.

Microbreweries are notorious for going out of business. And I'd hate to be a restauranteur- and depend on the tourist trade.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #12743
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Well, maybe Los Muertos is the appropriate name for this joint
Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #12744
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneyedjack View Post
I noticed that the mexican motorcycle insurance thru mexadventure includes air ambulance coverage, among other things. Probably wouldn't be as good as Medjet coverage. Heard of anyone using this coverage through mexadventure?
Oneeye, read the info carefully. Mexadventure, like most of the US firms re-selling the Mexican carriers products have a bunch of different companies they represent and a bunch of different coverages from just liability up to full coverages. The deductibles are usually high on theft and total loss with low maximum payouts. The med-evac stuff is additional and not included in most policies. It gets confusing. Don't be shy about calling the company, that's what they are there for.

As far as how well the Mexican carriers deliver in an accident and how much help the US broker provides, I can say happily that I have never had a reason to find out.

Good luck digging through the fine print
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #12745
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
You can Chris at Mexadventure to confirm, but I think the optional "med ambulance" service provided thru Mexadventure policies is for within Mexico only and not international. That may be a deal breaker for you. Also if your visa or TVIP is questionable, then forget collecting anything.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #12746
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
To answer your specific question, no, I have not heard of any story of a rider using medevac coverage through Mexadventure (or any other insurance underwriter for Mexico for that matter). Not saying it hasn't been done. I would bet that it has.

Recommendation: Call the company and speak with Chris. He'll tell you the straight scoop on if/when/how many times that trigger has been pulled. I doubt he can give you specifics on the riders though, for privacy reasons.

For a general overview of my own philosophy on this subject, which has been posted in the IMS thread several times, go see Post #2, Appendix A to this thread.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #12747
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,101
Puerto Penasco

What's Puerto Penasco like? Are there good places to stay? Thinking about taking the 950 down there some time.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #12748
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
PP is okay , plenty of hotels to pick from . Don't be disappointed
though , the place could in the past be considered as a seaside
suburb of Tucson and Phoenix as most of its businesses depended
heavily on vacationers and weekenders from Arizona. Beaches are
in short supply in AZ. The Mexican highway there was built to same
standard as the AZ highway that feeds it .
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #12749
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Did you give the above feedback to the management of Los Muertos?
Yes I did. They didn't seem real concerned.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #12750
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Uh oh.

They shouldn't be screwing up an amber ale or a golden ale. Those aren't complicated brews.

Microbreweries are notorious for going out of business. And I'd hate to be a restauranteur- and depend on the tourist trade.
Tourist trade is weak here now, especially with Americans. There do seem to be plenty of Canadians though. A cigar shop owner I know said his business is down about 60%.