Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #13201
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
$240, that's like the t-shirt budget for a Harley rider on a day trip to Key West!

Funny! I will steal that line ... With your permission :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #13202
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
You're off by $200.

Cheapest "package" was $240 (for 2 hours). I could be wrong.

See the post. His post, plus my copy of his link which I captured in the quote of it in my post, were both deleted by the mod.

I know nothing of this inmate nor the services rendered.

I do know rampant will earn you a vacation. That's common knowledge, or should be.

I have considered writing and putting online a FAQ for an introduction to Mexico but screw $240. Most of us will take someone into Mexico for a few beers.

And just as a matter of disclosure I dropped a whole $20 on a bucket of 5 beers and two orders of tacos last night. At a bar catering to gringo tourists, so it wasn't that cheap.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #13203
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,243
I have my moto and it is running great! Now for the rest of the story.

When I brought the moto to the shop it had not ran in three days. Actually it would crank up on one cylinder and barely run for five seconds to a minute before dying. Occasionally the second cylinder would hit for one second. Last Wednesday when they hooked the computer up to it, it ran fine. They balanced the throttle bodies. They have continued to try and get their computer to communicate with the moto's computer. I was even told that they took the computer off of another moto and put it on my bike, but the two computers still would not communicate. This confirmed to them that there was a bad wire some where. I have also been told that they changed some relays and cleaned up some wiring. My ABS that has not worked since the first guys in Mexico, is now working. They adjusted the throttle position sensor with a volt meter yesterday or today. They had been trying to do it through the computer, I explained yesterday how to do it with a volt meter.

I was told today at 2:00 that the moto would be ready at 5:00. I ask Jose the Tour Guide, a great fellow who speaks very good English, what was the problem and he told me the shop would tell me when I picked up the moto. At 5:00 I went to get the moto. Jose brought it down, I received no info from a mechanic. Jose said that they had changed some relays, adjusted some things and cleaned up some wires, but that they had not found the real problem. They had not had enough time to find it. Today was the 9th day the moto has been in their shop. Jose feels the moto will be fine for the trip to Panama.

They had me sigh a form saying that they had not found the problem, they had washed the moto and my bill was ZERO! Is my moto dependable? At least the Hall Sensor and the computer has been ruled out. Did some freak thing happen and has corrected itself mysteriously. Did something they did correct the problem? Did the four hour truck ride to Guatemala City shake some thing the right way that had gotten out of sync?

The throttle bodies were way out of adjustment from the first mechanics and was idling poorly. After the Hall Sensor was replaced and at some time before leaving for Guatemala I adjusted the TBs by ear and had it idling much better. At the same time, I could see from the position of the throttle position sensor that it was way off from the position it normally sat when I adjusted it. I could not remember exactly where it had been, but I put it in a more central position. Could this have caused a problem?

What are y'alls thoughts on any or all of this?

BTW, I would have much rather received a reasonable bill and been told they corrected the problem. With no parts involved, I was still expecting as high as $1,000 for the repairs and would have been happy to pay $500.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #13204
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
(A) I have my moto and it is running great!
Quote:
(B) and my bill was ZERO!
Quote:
(C) What are y'alls thoughts on any or all of this?
C = A ÷ B

Put all of this in the rear view and head to Panama
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #13205
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I have considered writing and putting online a FAQ for an introduction to Mexico
awesome

Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #13206
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
C = A ÷ B

Put all of this in the rear view and head to Panama
Ride like the wind.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #13207
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
It's a 'strom. There are no good angles.

LOL. (And I own one, so there!)
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #13208
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
I have considered writing and putting online a FAQ for an introduction to Mexico.
By "introduction to Mexico" do you mean to say the bar districts of the border region?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #13209
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I have considered writing and putting online a FAQ for an introduction to Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
By "introduction to Mexico" do you mean to say the bar districts of the border region?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #13210
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
I have my moto and it is running great! Now for the rest of the story.
What are y'alls thoughts on any or all of this?

BTW, I would have much rather received a reasonable bill and been told they corrected the problem. With no parts involved, I was still expecting as high as $1,000 for the repairs and would have been happy to pay $500.

Good on you Donnie. Ok to post your frustrations and get help, good to post what they did to work with you.

I wonder if there were enough little things screwed up, that when they tweaked / fixed / adjusted all of them, you got a good running bike, and rid of the gremlin. So they did good on you there. All those days tied up isn't exactly great, but hey, you're not stuck in a snowdrift in Alberta, either.

Myself I'm not sold on the computer story, but hey, there the ones working on it, and I hope they know more than me.

Make your decision which way to point the front wheel, kickstand up, throttle up, and enjoy the trip. Hope the bugs stay away!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #13211
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Is that the Family Style (very rough translation) or an even bigger Corona?

I scored one of those a few years ago when I rode with Arte and Andres down towards Veracruz and thought it was quite a novelty. Now I can find them at the convenience stores in Texas ;)

In the region of Mexico were I grow up is called Caguama
Don ask me why

Bato screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 06:47 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #13212
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Now now, be nice to PJ. We have a wide variety of inmates here at IMS, and each has their specialized area of intel on Mexico. PJ is making sure that the Indio distributor has an ample supply of cold brew available for any intrepid voyager than may find himself stranded in the border region.

He and Arte got me in and out of Reynosa, where I later saw a CNN talking head filing a report while covering in his hotel room, showing terrorizing video of a SUV driving around in the dark. And yes, I had plenty of Indio to drink.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #13213
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
In the region of Mexico were I grow up is called Caguama
Don ask me why
Poor Mexico. Stuck with the metric system and Spanish. They can't say "I'm gonna pound a forty tonite!" They have to say something about an uno punto dos! (1.2 liters equals just a fuzz over 40oz!) I don't know what caguama means, but it sure as heck is better than uno punto dos.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #13214
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
^ Claro...
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #13215
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Zihua/Hwy 199

Thanks to all who replied to these q's. My results will be in my RR as I move on down the road. Incredible riding today in mountains of Veracruz. Papantla to Altotonga. Tajin ruins yesterday. Thanks MikeMike for routing. SR... I'll do it for $20/hr