Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #13261
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The Acapulco deal was mishandled from the get go by the idiot mayor and his tourism staff.
Big embarrassment for the administration of Pena Nieto as he had sent one of his flunkies to Madrid to talk up Mexico as an A-1 tourist destination for Spanish tourists. His flunky split when the mierda hit the ventilador, instead of making the rounds to do the apologies, and admit a problem in Acapulco but then stress it is not all of Mexico and an isolated incident. That was dumb on Pena Nieto's staff's part but that is par for the course for his administration so far. And it's only February!
A lot of people suspected the local police in Acapulco had the confessions ready before making the arrests, as usual here.
The arrests were covered about 10% compared to the crime when it happened.
The Spanish tourists were actually living in other parts of Mexico and were not direct from Spain on vacation in Acapulco. The drug deal thing has yet to be proven as far as I know but Craneguy might have some more dirt on this. In fact, instead of total transparency with this, like the Pemex explosion, there is no follow up because the administration does the usual PRI type shut down of info and hope people forget about it. This method is their usual MO and they are good at it.
But that's another story, a long and sordid one, rife with drama, intrigue, and all the usual suspects.
One has to laugh. As weird as this is it doesn't involve Gringos. Or tourists. Or moto tourists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #13262
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Pirate, I would be laughing a lot harder if they were not running the country!
If The Seal Club isnt open, I just bang my head against the wall to make the pain of Pena Nieto go away for awhile.
If it is open, I drink like a fish and talk bikes with the owner.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #13263
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Veracruz

Riding Jimmy route with MikeMike tomorrow. Sitting in lobby of frigging $100/night hotel because my room is too far from the wireless router. Net access perfect in my 250 peso room in Altotongo last night. Of course it did not have an ocean view, terrazo floors, soap, or thick towels and was 1/4 or less the size... pays your money and takes yer chances.

BTW: I have found that correctly spelling the names of towns and locations here is very helpful in getting around or getting directions from gringos or Mexicans... correct spelling a great aid to correct pronunciation and to finding things on google. It only takes looking at the map.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #13264
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
It has...

The real-estate on the north end of Mazatlan has already gone through the roof price wise from speculation, and empty lots are hard to find for sale everybody is hanging on to them waiting for the big boom...

What are they saying something like 10 hours or less, Mazatlan to Brownsville Texas.... for a driving time???

Yep. Been watching it for several years now. A friend has an undeveloped beach lot on the north side with beautiful homes all around. It's for sale in case you're looking. He's selling his penthouse in town on the malecon as well.

I believe the 10 hour estimate. You can really fly on the new cuota. Just ask SR.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #13265
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I get annoyed (not with you - don't take it that way) when people say that the border areas aren't the "real Mexico."
Well, that's about 100 million people that you're annoyed with.

As for me I've always thought of the Border as the Border. But then I've been traveling to the interior going on 40 years now
and have never felt I was really into Mexico until well past the Border.

I also think of Baja as Baja - like a different country from mainland Mexico.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 09:52 PM
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #13266
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyZion View Post
Hola todos. Jonny here . Im new to adv. and riding in Mexico. I have traveled around mexico a bunch but not on a bike. Im rolling on a gs800. Tomorrow im leaving Guaymas and heading south with my next location Salulita. Then down the coast all the way. Anyone else down here along the coast or advice of places to stay or check out along the coast? Peace&love j
Hola Jonny!

You have a great bike for Mexico travel.

If you find yourself stopping on the Pacific coast between Pto. Vallarta and Manzanillo I recommend snorkling at Tenacatita on the western side of the bay La Manzanilla is in. Well-marked exit off MX200 at 19.346813,-104.878868. Don't worry about the gate and guards. Just present ID and have no alcohol with you and it's free for day use. The smaller beach to the right of parking has a coral reef nicknamed "The Aquarium" and has a nice variety of fish. One of the most pristine beaches you'll see. Pack water and snacks.

If you're into meeting other adventure riders and staying in funky places then stop at Yolanda's restaurant on the beach in La Manzanilla. Yolanda and Leon are Dutch and have ridden RTW. I rented a bungalow at their place off the beach for 150 pesos and Aussies Carol and Ken Duval treated me to dinner, breakfast and great travel stories. Free wifi at Yolanda's restaurant. 19.283295,-104.788134. Don't miss seeing the giant saltwater crocs and eating fish tacos from the van outside the park entrance.

Hope you'll check in here as you make your way down.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #13267
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,578
Fellow Mexitravelphiles:

Here's a quick summary of the new Mexican liability limits from bajabound insurance. It gives you a quick overview, plus a table with how the max liability can vary from state to state. Some states are just under $300,000 US max liability, or "Judge's Discretion" So, it should be well advised that all us rich gringos carry a comfortable level of insurance. Let's face it, if you can find a Subway sandwich shop in Mexico, the trial lawyers may not be far behind.

http://www.bajabound.com/info/federallaw.php

The article also says that several companies have retroactively upped their max coverage limit.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #13268
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Laredo Tx-I need a place to park

Trailering to Laredo March 15. Will gladly pay for space for my f250 and 24' box trailer. Need until Approx March 30' 2013. I've used a couple of self storage places in Laredo. One too small for new trailer and other burglarized this January, 2013. Any help or suggestions would be great. And yes I'm a big pussy for trailering.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #13269
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
Trailering to Laredo March 15. Will gladly pay for space for my f250 and 24' box trailer. Need until Approx March 30' 2013. I've used a couple of self storage places in Laredo. One too small for new trailer and other burglarized this January, 2013. Any help or suggestions would be great. And yes I'm a big pussy for trailering.
No, you're not a pussy for trailering. Jones is where, just east of OKC and got a nice layer of snow? You never know this time of year.

I have a buddy from Indianapolis who rode with me to the Yucatán and he trailered here same time of year. His rig was too big to park at my house, so we solved the problem with safe, secure, short-term parking at an RV storage place. The guy had guns, lights, a razor wire fence and cameras. I thought that was secure. He charged a discount rate for partial month, too.

Here are a few starter phone numbers for you in Laredo:

If they can't help you, you might describe your needs and they'll probably know someone who can.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #13270
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

You can also trailer here, use the same guy described above, and ride to the border.

You have all kinds of good options.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #13271
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
No, you're not a pussy for trailering. Jones is where, just east of OKC and got a nice layer of snow? You never know this time of year.

I have a buddy from Indianapolis who rode with me to the Yucatán and he trailered here same time of year. His rig was too big to park at my house, so we solved the problem with safe, secure, short-term parking at an RV storage place. The guy had guns, lights, a razor wire fence and cameras. I thought that was secure. He charged a discount rate for partial month, too.

Here are a few starter phone numbers for you in Laredo:

If they can't help you, you might describe your needs and they'll probably know someone who can.
Thanks for the reply. Townlake is trying to shuffle some cars around and help me out. My biggest problem is the new 24 trailer. Old 20 footer got stolen in Dallas in October 2012, along with truck. In Jan of 13, my goto place in Laredo, they tried to get my wheels off my truck and jacked a hard bed cover up real nice. Most of the self storage with space of RV' s are jammed with oil field trash (term of endearment). Sometimes I feel my shit is safer in Mexico.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #13272
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
Thanks for the reply. Townlake is trying to shuffle some cars around and help me out.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #13273
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 933
El Chapo

Unconfirmed reports that El Chapo was killed in a gunfight with other narcos in Guatemala. The reports say that someone resembling Guzman was killed but no positive ID. Mexico is sending experts to do DNA tests.

Since the last photo of Guzman is the one in the dirty white parka from 1992 who knows what he looks like?

Conspiracy theories hatching...

http://www.elimparcial.com/EdicionEn...13/673479.aspx

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 08:17 AM Reason: link
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #13274
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Unconfirmed reports that El Chapo was killed in a gunfight with other narcos in Guatemala. The reports say that someone resembling Guzman was killed but no positive ID. Mexico is sending experts to do DNA tests.

Since the last photo of Guzman is the one in the dirty white parka from 1992 who knows what he looks like?

Conspiracy theories hatching...

Hmmmmmmm. Isn't Donnie down in Guatemala?

Start the conspiracy theories!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #13275
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Donnie is a secret agent for the DEA. Oops! I guess the secret is out now. Lo siento