Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #13351
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Hank just put on a new set of Tourances on my bike, but for next month's destination (Cabo), he'll be putting on a set of these Heidenaus:

It's what he wanted to put on in the first place, but I (foolishly) resisted.

I'm told these are not perfect when the road is wet, but will be (much) better for the dirt in Baja.

No, I will not be taking the GS anywhere near deep sand. Thanks for asking!
You have great taste.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #13352
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Concept configuration.

Leaving the boxes home.
Should be good for a cross wind ;)

Word of advice - Jesse stopped selling their really large top box because too many people were mounting it too far back (it was supposed to cover the passenger space but a lot of people put it behind the passenger seat), overload it, and get sudden and unexpectedly dangerous handling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #13353
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Hank just put on a new set of Tourances on my bike, but for next month's destination (Cabo), he'll be putting on a set of these Heidenaus:

He was showing me those the last time I was down in Dilley. I had hoped to get a smaller, lighter bike by the end of the year and had thought about getting a set of Heidenaus for the oil patch dirt roads.

Definitely let us know how well they work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #13354
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:

Concept configuration.

Leaving the boxes home.
I'd lose the tail box as well; sticks out too far behind the axle and too heavy.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #13355
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I'd lose the tail box as well; sticks out too far behind the axle and too heavy.
Yep.

This is probably the best option for dirt riding, take all those bars and crap off around your pillion seat, strap it to the bike and go: http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...asin-saddlebag

They also make an additional dry bag that straps to the back of it. Good option to use for your KLR as well. For extended Baja trips on the 990 I just take the Giant Loop, then strap my tent and sleeping bag to the rack with Rok straps. That set up works pretty well for me anyway. You probably won't fill up the giant loop, it holds a lot of shit.

Also, I would probably put a proper knobby on the front. Front washouts tend to hurt.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 10:11 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #13356
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Did you pick anything up from Boys Town in Cd. Acuña?
Lol! You know that visiting putas is not in my risk management portfolio. However, I did visit the famous Corona Club bar. They have all kinds of photos of the mariachi trilogy there. The first movie being the best, IMO

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #13357
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Yep.

This is probably the best option for dirt riding, take all those bars and crap off around your pillion seat, strap it to the bike and go: http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...asin-saddlebag

Also, I would probably put a proper knobby on the front. Front washouts tend to hurt.
Where is this pic from, La Paz?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #13358
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Feck. Good thing I didn't post a pic of my GS mountain bike rack.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #13359
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I had hoped ... and had thought about
We really need to help you get these words and phrases out of your vocabulary
Old 02-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #13360
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Where is this pic from, La Paz?
Yeah, its been a bit cool there this winter.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #13361
jimmex
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Yep.

They also make an additional dry bag that straps to the back of it. Good option to use for your KLR as well. For extended Baja trips on the 990 I just take the Giant Loop, then strap my tent and sleeping bag to the rack with Rok straps. That set up works pretty well for me anyway. You probably won't fill up the giant loop, it holds a lot of shit.

What Vince said. The Giantloop with soft bags (tent, sleeping bag, pad) strapped either to it or the rear rack will probably weigh about the same packed as the hardware you would remove. Plus the weight will be lower on the bike. I have a GL Great Basin if you want to try it out or borrow it.

jimmex screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 10:30 AM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #13362
jimmex
Rider

Damn, this is making me want to go riding.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #13363
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 819
Mexico on the move

TP, Jick,

I see it every day, more middle class Mexicans come to our hotel. More Mexican mining engineers and entrepreneurs looking to sell new products to the mines here. We have local kids, sons and daughters of field workers and house keepers attending Universities studying everything from tourism to medicine to agriculture. Add to this that birth rates, Tom Friedman's poorly researched article notwithstanding - he couldn't even bother to get Mexico's population right - are now on par with birth rates in the US. Yes, the 7 kids of the last generation are all having kids but they are having 2. Believe it or not, this portends a labor shortage here in Mexico in the next 15 to 20 years.

I am all in on Mexico.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #13364
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Vinny is aware of the purpose of this trip, he and I have been talking in the background. He has given me some excellent routing tips given the fact I'm not taking the KLR.

This is simply a Baja recon with minimal dirt.

I'm accumulating new bags from Wolfman for the KLR as we speak.

I'll return to Baja for a proper off-road trip on the KLR.

Simply, going to run the length of the peninsula and then back up to the ferry and across the pond to the mainland. There are some targets in Guerrero state to knock down after Baja.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #13365
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,507
WTF with PJ and Schizz? Did y'all get the tape measure out to see who wins?

Actually you are both correct. It's just a matter of perspective. As an example my first time into a new area I will generally take the libres so I can see more, but if I've been to an area already and have to go through it again on a subsequent trip, then I will use a cuota and just blow through. Depends on how much time I have for the total trip and on what the trip objective is for that specific trip.

WRT mileage. I try to keep it to no more than 350 miles per day. It's 400 miles to the border for me and that's my longest day. Depending on sunset, my mileage varies. I try to stop about 1.5 hours before dark. That leaves me enough daylight contingency in case I have to do a roadside repair, or to seek auxiliary for a repair.

The question that was posed in the PJ-Schizz debate was whether to go on to Torreon or not since Parras was not a "party town" enough for the crew riding with the dude who asked the question. Yes, they could go on to Torreon, but does one really want to "party" in Torreon? If you are looking for some strange trim in Torreon, I would look in other places. Skirt-chasing in Latin America is not done as a group hunt like it is here in Gringolandia where you go cruising with your buds on Saturday night. The knowledgeable womanizers hunt alone, and they don't go to the puteros (like Boys Town) either So, if you want quality strange, you will have to have a class act, not a drunken stupor "I'm a bad mother-fucker" act.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote