Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #13366
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
...I'll return to Baja for a proper off-road trip on the KLR...
Not to lecture, but I thought you came to the realization after Galeana that the KLR is a pig. How about a DRZ 400 for the dirt?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #13367
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I'm with Jimmy and Vinnie. Losing my tail box in favor of a dry bag system...
Like SealLine bags?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #13368
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I'm with Jimmy and Vinnie. Losing my tail box in favor of a dry bag system.

Vinnie, is that black bag the one that has a smaller bag that straps on top? Kathy at Lone Star was showing that to me recently. Looks like a great system.

Looking at the Giant Loop bag for the WRR.
Yeah, the smaller dry bag straps on the back of the giant loop. The giant loop would be great for the WRR as would the Wolfman system.

Trice ought to sell that KLR and get a WRR with a Safari tank for the dirt. EFI, 65 mpg and about the same power/weight as the DRZ but with much better suspension, and first valve check at 26,000 miles! I love that WRR, its bulletproof. Sure, its a 250, but as Big Dog says, "it only takes 12 hp to go around the world, the rest is wheel spin."

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #13369
michaellmcc
Dudester

Oddometer: 83
The "regular" route to Bato...

HeadShriniker, Ozarknzrider, and I were in Bato this past week. The loose gravel-egg sized rock-fist sized rock-head sized rock-volkswagen sized rock blast zone-wait two hours for the bulldozer to clear eat dust road from the bridge to town was fine.

It looked something like this:

Explored by motorbike: USA, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam. Videos: Alaska: http://vimeo.com/70698420; Mexico: http://vimeo.com/62712738 ; Austin to Indy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsHo...eature=mh_lolz ; Morocco: http://youtu.be/fW758r_V4mE ; Big Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKpJ...ature=youtu.be

michaellmcc screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 11:52 AM
michaellmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #13370
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post

The question that was posed in the PJ-Schizz debate was whether to go on to Torreon or not since Parras was not a "party town" enough for the crew riding with the dude who asked the question. Yes, they could go on to Torreon, but does one really want to "party" in Torreon? .

I was mostly just curious. Riding back to Mazatlan in a day or two holds appeal to me and I have never been to that area. There was another gentleman (non rider as far as I know) on another forum who lived in some town near Torreon and he wrote a few years ago that they were having a lot of military action.

At one point an armed group without insignias rolled into town, went to a local restaurant, locked the doors, took everyone's cell phones, went back out and rounded up several locals, returned to the restaurant, returned the cell phones, and paid for everyone's dinner. Within a few minutes of them leaving town the uniformed military showed up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #13371
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
As an example my first time into a new area I will generally take the libres so I can see more, but if I've been to an area already and have to go through it again on a subsequent trip, then I will use a cuota and just blow through. Depends on how much time I have for the total .
Bingo! That's the typical mode of the "long-legged" Mexico rider. When (if) I retire then I hope to take my time and see it all. Till then........

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #13372
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,371
Quote:
Not to lecture, but I thought you came to the realization after Galeana that the KLR is a pig. How about a DRZ 400 for the dirt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Trice ought to sell that KLR and get a WRR with a Safari tank for the dirt.
I'm taking that KLR pig back to Big Bend first week in March on another Richard's Uncle's Ride.

I did fine on it last year on Black Gap and the sandy River Road (not to be confused with paved 170 River Road). I also took that KLR on The Unknown Ride at MexTrek, which is what Mike is referring to, although in helping others with breakdowns, the heat, the rain, the mud, the almost 30 river crossings, heat exhaustion, suck ass riding gear and all of us getting lost, it wasn't the walk in the park we thought it would be.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #13373
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
What Vince said. The Giantloop with soft bags (tent, sleeping bag, pad) strapped either to it or the rear rack will probably weigh about the same packed as the hardware you would remove. Plus the weight will be lower on the bike. I have a GL Great Basin if you want to try it out or borrow it.
SOG, are you following this??

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #13374
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I was mostly just curious. Riding back to Mazatlan in a day or two holds appeal to me and I have never been to that area. There was another gentleman (non rider as far as I know) on another forum who lived in some town near Torreon and he wrote a few years ago that they were having a lot of military action.

At one point an armed group without insignias rolled into town, went to a local restaurant, locked the doors, took everyone's cell phones, went back out and rounded up several locals, returned to the restaurant, returned the cell phones, and paid for everyone's dinner. Within a few minutes of them leaving town the uniformed military showed up.

For me, the ride from Nuevo Laredo to DRG is easier than OKC to San Antonio. (about the same mileage) Lots less traffic, virtually no speed limits and most of the time better roads. As long as nothing goes wrong, and little ever goes wrong in my life, I can make Mazatlan from NL in two days easy. Especially with the work that is completed on the spine.

I've had some good times in Torreon, but after stopping in there 7 or 8 times, I'm done.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #13375
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
stock vstrom is too fucking low to leave Juanitas.

tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #13376
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
For me, the ride from Nuevo Laredo to DRG is easier than OKC to San Antonio. (about the same mileage) Lots less traffic, virtually no speed limits and most of the time better roads. As long as nothing goes wrong, and little ever goes wrong in my life, I can make Mazatlan from NL in two days easy. Especially with the work that is completed on the spine.

I've had some good times in Torreon, but after stopping in there 7 or 8 times, I'm done.

Thanks Mon! Appreciate the info.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #13377
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

To KLR or not to KLR

No story is any good without pics. Here are the pics.

Two historical photographs from the Unknown Ride in the vicinity of Galeana. These photos make the rotation on the twtex.com home page.

Below, the day's best rider, not on a KLR, and in proper riding gear, with tons of off-road experience. I present Shadman Pete. King of off-road. If he was dying, you can guess what state I, an inept off-road putz/fool, was in.

I'm really not interested in becoming Baja 1000 off-road good or buying another bike to get there. I'm really more interested in what is off road than riding off road, if that makes sense. That could change. Maybe what I don't see but hear about in Baja will trigger it.

FWIW, it was the Unknown Ride, where we exposed riders who don't carry the proper tools to do flat repair, who haven't ever practiced flat repair, and others who never drowned a bike in a river and sat there while others scrounged to tools to deal with it, that went a long way to me anticipating being as self-sufficient as possible.

That said, we will still see these types in Big Bend in a couple weeks. As if some phantom is expected to appear out of the rocks and take care of their flat issues.

There are Mexico pavement riders to this day (you know who you are) who might carry a flat repair kit but who have never taken the time to open the box to see what's in it. The first time they will, will be on the side of the road as its getting dark. I've seen it - riders reading the directions and trying to figure out how the kit is supposed to work. Duh!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #13378
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
That's good, because Lucia now works in Acapulco
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #13379
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
That's good, because Lucia now works in Acapulco
I hear her daughter is still in Torreon.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #13380
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I hear her daughter is still in Torreon.
You're all kinds of amazing, because Lucia is only 24 now