Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #13381
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Here's my seat-of-the-pants assessment of Mexico's economy: I live near one of the main North-South train tracks through MX. I've noticed the northbound trains are becoming more frequent and have more cars. Personally I would invest in Mexico-indexed funds right now.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #13382
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

There are Mexico pavement riders to this day (you know who you are) who might carry a flat repair kit but who have never taken the time to open the box to see what's in it. The first time they will, will be on the side of the road as its getting dark. I've seen it - riders reading the directions and trying to figure out how the kit is supposed to work. Duh!

And when you have carried that same patch and plug kit for years you might want to check to see if the little tube of glue has evaporated. Learned that one recently, although thankfully it was when I went to use the kit to fix a tire on a lawn tractor.

Which reminds me ... I used to carry a small tire pump that operated off of the cigar lighter outlet. I think that has vanished too ;(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #13383
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Here's my seat-of-the-pants assessment of Mexico's economy: I live near one of the main North-South train tracks through MX. I've noticed the northbound trains are becoming more frequent and have more cars. Personally I would invest in Mexico-indexed funds right now.
That line that runs from Eagle Pass to San Antonio, or the one that runs from Brownsville to Houston?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #13384
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
And when you have carried that same patch and plug kit for years you might want to check to see if the little tube of glue has evaporated.
Most pavement riders here are running tubeless, is my guess.

Ergo, no little tube of glue.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #13385
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:

Yeah, but those mushroom plugs don't always work.

Overheated my fancy Cyclepump on this trip.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #13386
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Yup.

A dirty little secret is that the rear Metzlers on an R11 or R11.5 GS have sidewalls so stiff that you can run them without air for some distance if you have to. Dunlops not so much - they get really squirrelly.

I've put a plug in a Metzler once or twice and although some of those plugs don't need cement I like to use it to make sure that you get a seal, but with stiff sidewalls you can ride it to some place where it's civilized enough that you can plug it at your leisure.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #13387
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post

Doesn't BMW supply those in their repair kits? I've got (or had) some but never used them.

There is some sort of plug that looks like a piece of greasy string or yarn. It's been so long since I plugged a tire that my memory is slipping but I am pretty sure it's the same stuff that I used when I repaired that lawn mower tire (freaking thing ran over something with thorns and have 5 holes in it )

Anyway, a lot of people won't ride a plugged tire. I've worn out two rear tires that were plugged and never had a bit of trouble with them. But I doubt if I'd ride a plugged front for long.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 12:57 PM
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #13388
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
You mention mushroom plugs. I didn't. I hate them. I helped a rider with his mushroom plug kit on the way from Linares to Galeana on the pavement.

The schnizzel is Safety Seal, makers of one brand of string plugs, which, based upon what I've been able to research and from my own actual road experience, is about as good a plug as it gets.

Fast forward if you wish to the 1:00 mark. The demo is on an auto tire, but the principle is the same.

I carry this kit and about 10 plugs. One plug usually fixes a typical flat from a nail, but you can do several plugs.

I did plug with this kit once on a front tire. It was the only time I used this kit but still stopped at a vulka, to have the guy put in a patch from the inside. He asked me why I was having him put in the patch, since he thought that plug would hold for the life of the tire.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #13389
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,345
As I ride flat magnets I always have plugs, patches, a tube for my tubeless tires (two if I'm on KiLleR), and a rather non-bike friendly sized (but very stout) compressor. And I always use glue on my plugs. We had 3 holes and a bad slash in a week on our trip and 3 of those were on Rick's bike. On the same morning.

Last time I was in Mexico I averaged a new puncture a day. Be prepared. I'd suggest bringing a couple of nephews if you are on a tubed bike. ;)
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #13390
tedder
irregular

Quote:
The schnizzel is Safety Seal, makers of one brand of string plugs, which, based upon what I've been able to research and from my own actual road experience, is about as good a plug as it gets.
Thanks. I was going to start carrying a Dynaplug kit, but I'm happy to use your recommendation for Safety Seal.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #13391
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
As I ride flat magnets I always have plugs.......

........And I always use glue on my plugs.
You are way ahead of the average rider

With Safety Seal, you don't need glue for the plug, given the nature of their material. That said, I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #13392
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,911
The Metzelers on my F650 are stiff enough to be ridden a ways if you have to. They are a major pain to spoon off though.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #13393
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Thanks. I was going to start carrying a Dynaplug kit, but I'm happy to use your recommendation for Safety Seal.
Tedder, if I may make one more suggestion:

I keep a used tire for myself and others to practice on.

Tire repair skills are perishable skills, and I practice once a year with the kit, to keep those skills in "muscle memory" and to also make sure I have the pieces of my kit that I need (and that the plugs are fresh, etc.)

Sometime I have fun when riders are at my house, and we're talking tires.

I'll ask, "are you ready for flats?"

"Sure", they glibly reply.

Then I pull out the old tire and drive a nail into it (you have to use a drill and drill bit to create a hole for the nail, ask me how I know), I grab a chair, and say "ok smart guy, let it rip!"

PS anyone who doesn't believe you need to use a drill to start a nail hole on a practice tire, go try it for yourself.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #13394
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Tedder, if I may make one more suggestion:

I keep a used tire for myself and others to practice on.
Yeah, um, I've repaired tubeless flats above the Arctic Circle, on high-speed interstate runs, and now (three times earlier this month) in Copper Canyon, which had to be redone by a ponchadora in Creel.

Thanks for the Safety Seal rec, I ordered two kits from them to replace my well-used mushroom kit.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #13395
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
The Metzelers on my F650 are stiff enough to be ridden a ways if you have to. They are a major pain to spoon off though.
It's a bitch when you "ride a ways" and then break the bead.

Especially for the KLR types that only carry a hand pump or CO2.