Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #13411
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
I'm kinda butthurt nobody commented on my Juanitas vid.
I'll pitch in

Quote:
I carry my own cement block just for that purpose

If I forget, I call ahead to Juanitas (649-488-00-43) to make sure there are some available
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #13412
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Most pavement riders here are running tubeless, is my guess.

Ergo, no little tube of glue.
I ride on inner tubes. I trust the repair more on an inner tube than using plugs or strings on tubeless.

But trice you are certainly correct on the practice issue. That's a great tip that I picked up in the Army. You practice the repairs in the motor pool, not when you get out to the field.

In the photo below I am breaking the bead on the tire while the wheel is still mounted to the bike. If you know where the puncture is at, perhaps caused by a nail, then chalk the hole before you pull the nail out. Then when you break the bead, just slide that section of the inner tube out between the rim and the tire where the puncture is. Glue it, wait, stick it back in, and fill with air. Tube repair without taking the tire off. How about that? T'is an old dirtbiker trick.

Here's another Army trick, ALWAYS use gloves when doing repairs. If you didn't, my motor sergeant would kick your ass!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #13413
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I don't want to start a big discussion but I use Ride-On in my tubeless tires on el Tigre to avoid flats. It works and works well. I have pulled nails and screws out and the stuff seals it up so I never knew I had picked them up while riding. It also took care of a high speed shimmy up front. They make a product for tube types but they admit that it can't work as effectively to seal tubes.

I still carry plugs and product is supposed to be compatible. Never had to try it
I use it in my inner tubes.

Quote:
I'm kinda butthurt nobody commented on my Juanitas vid.
That's because you are a k-town fuck! I grew up there. Where are you at? I was around the corner from the Wiltern, vic St. Andrews Pl and 8th street. I also lived down in the hood vic Washington and Figueroa. The Army dropped me off in Texas in '85, so I stayed.

Quote:
Thanks, but my whiney tale of woe isn't fit to be mentioned on the same page as those epic classics.

I will say this: as bad as it was, it was my best single day on a moto south of the border ever.

Best lesson: I had no skills, and needed to find some. (Still searching)
The rr was one of my favorites because you did a skills assessment and published it for us dumb fucks. The less pride a rider has, the better the rr. That's why those other rr's were so good - the lessons learned. The Angola guys could have been dead meat with no gas and no water.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #13414
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I'm with Jimmy and Vinnie. Losing my tail box in favor of a dry bag system.

Vinnie, is that black bag the one that has a smaller bag that straps on top? Kathy at Lone Star was showing that to me recently. Looks like a great system.

Looking at the Giant Loop bag for the WRR.
Did you pull the trigger already?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #13415
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I first heard that story in Cuatrocienegas several years ago about Chapo Guzman. We need Snopes in Mexico
After I wrote that I was wondering if I was confusing my stories.

I do remember the guy however. He was a US building contractor that retired to Mexico and went back to building. Had a site that had great practical advice on running a small business in Mexico.

Want to say that his name was Rollie or Roland or something like that but I could be totally wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #13416
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:

That said, we will still see these types in Big Bend in a couple weeks. As if some phantom is expected to appear out of the rocks and take care of their flat issues.
One thing about desert off road riding, you get pretty quick at changing out tubes. When you ride with a fuckwit that has a flat and expects someone else to fix it for him do what I do. Dont lift a finger, only give advice and supervise. But, you dont want to appear like you don't care, so pull out the tube you are carrying that has a few cactus thorn pin holes in it, and hand it to him. He will think you are being a great guy for giving him a tube. Watch him do the repair. ride away with him, then watch him do the repair again in 15 minutes. They get the hang of it eventually.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #13417
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
...Watch him do the repair. ride away with him, then watch him do the repair again in 15 minutes. They get the hang of it eventually.
"Resident Evil" resides in Vinny! LMAO!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #13418
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
That's because you are a k-town fuck! I grew up there. Where are you at? I was around the corner from the Wiltern, vic St. Andrews Pl and 8th street. I also lived down in the hood vic Washington and Figueroa. The Army dropped me off in Texas in '85, so I stayed.
The neighborhood must have been delightful when you were here

I'm a few blocks from Wiltern, near 4th/Hobart. Just walked past Wiltern for groceries, then walked over to Kingsley/Wiltern for more errands.

It's awesome to have the subway here. We take it all the time.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #13419
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Last weekend I caught a screw on my tubed tire dirt bike. A few other guys were waiting on me, so to save time I just threw in a new spare tube that I carry in my fender bag. The new tube was so old that it got brittle and split right up the seam when I inflated it. So much for saving time.

Tube stem pullers are key for changing tubes fast! $10?
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #13420
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
I first heard that story in Cuatrocienegas several years ago about Chapo Guzman. We need Snopes in Mexico
Yeah, snopes - rhymes with topes
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #13421
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Just learned that a Belgian businessman I know of (acquaintance of an acquaintance) was just shot and killed in Acapulco next to his car. He was in a huge (multi-million) and contentious legal battle with a local for the last 5 years, so even though it could have been a robbery gone bad, they also think he could have finally pissed off the wrong local. (opponent was looking at jail time)

Be careful who you cross down here.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #13422
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Shrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I think I peed on Daves leg, not actally Dave s leg but on the road named after Daves leg
Yes, there is a little shrine there now with lots of plastic flowers and a diorama of Moses parting the Red Sea. It is becoming quite a tourist attraction and they plan on paving the road and putting in a parking lot with lots of vendor stalls. It is a "miracle".
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #13423
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The neighborhood must have been delightful when you were here

I'm a few blocks from Wiltern, near 4th/Hobart. Just walked past Wiltern for groceries, then walked over to Kingsley/Wiltern for more errands.

It's awesome to have the subway here. We take it all the time.
Yeah, I can't even imagiine L.A. with a subway. All we did was the bus. Some of the buses downtown even had these electrical trolley things on them. The Wiltern actually showed movies back then. Sneaked in the back and watched my first showing of Easy Rider there. So you are east of Western. Western used to be a dividing line, then Vermont was the next one. By the time one got to Alvarado/Hoover youz wuz in da hood.

Not to jack this thread (which we do all the time), Mexico is lot safer to ride in than L.A. Shit we lived down on a 101st for a while. With that neighborhood and the one down on a Washington and Figueroa, when one moved on up, one moved to Compton

Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #13424
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Just learned that a Belgian businessman I know of (acquaintance of an acquaintance) was just shot and killed in Acapulco next to his car. He was in a huge (multi-million) and contentious legal battle with a local for the last 5 years, so even though it could have been a robbery gone bad, they also think he could have finally pissed off the wrong local. (opponent was looking at jail time)

Be careful who you cross down here.
I saw this regularly in my dealings in the RGV. For many that left Mexico and were now happily in the USA, I began to realize that there was a community that had bad debts and other issues and who feared returning to Mexico.

Such as my former business partner who combined with my former girlfriend to steal my interest in our business and my personal property in storage. I ran several errands for him and his friends in Reynosa because they were afraid to cross.

So some reading between the lines is necessary.

There was some Mayor in Mexico near the border who was "killed by the Zetas" and it came out that the people arrested actually had no involvement with the bad guys but were settling old debts.

So anyway ... be aware. All or most of us are adults here who have been bloodied in life at one time or another. It shouldn't diminish our interests in riding en Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #13425
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Subsidy?

"Could Mexico owe its "success" to the fact that it has outsourced most of its poverty to the US? The US taxpayer now subsidizes 25% of Mexico's population by educating, housing, and feeding them, etc. To add to this Mexican citizens in the US remit almost all of their tax-free earnings back to Mexico tax free."

Sources please... this sounds like more of the same old anti immigrant bullshit. Really? The US is subsidizing 30 million people... housing, feeding and educating them? What are all of those waiters, maids, busboys, cooks, dishwashers, parking lot attendants, sanitation workers, gardeners and on and on who are the backbone of the service industry, pay taxes including social security that they will never see a dime of doing? Certainly not being subsidized. They, in fact, support a service industry that would collapse if it were left to the lazy, self centered, "entitled" crop of youth who have no interest in rolling up their sleeves and dirtying their hands because they have a "right" to start a job at $25 an hour and show up when they feel like it... aargh!

Mexico has a quite surprising amount of "upward mobility". I am amazed at how prosperous it is in much of this country. They deserve it. They work hard and they make goods and grow produce that goes out to the world. Mexico also has a lot of very deep poverty but if you travel in parts of the good ol' USA you will find poverty just as intransigent and people without the means to care for their most basic needs... even the poorest here seem to be able to find food and shelter. Not so in our dear land. I could go on but this is not the place for it.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 05:31 PM Reason: Added quotes.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote