Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #13456
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
"Could Mexico owe its "success" to the fact that it has outsourced most of its poverty to the US? The US taxpayer now subsidizes 25% of Mexico's population by educating, housing, and feeding them, etc. To add to this Mexican citizens in the US remit almost all of their tax-free earnings back to Mexico tax free."

Sources please... this sounds like more of the same old anti immigrant bullshit. Really? The US is subsidizing 30 million people... housing, feeding and educating them? What are all of those waiters, maids, busboys, cooks, dishwashers, parking lot attendants, sanitation workers, gardeners and on and on who are the backbone of the service industry, pay taxes including social security that they will never see a dime of doing? Certainly not being subsidized. They, in fact, support a service industry that would collapse if it were left to the lazy, self centered, "entitled" crop of youth who have no interest in rolling up their sleeves and dirtying their hands because they have a "right" to start a job at $25 an hour and show up when they feel like it... aargh!

Mexico has a quite surprising amount of "upward mobility". I am amazed at how prosperous it is in much of this country. They deserve it. They work hard and they make goods and grow produce that goes out to the world. Mexico also has a lot of very deep poverty but if you travel in parts of the good ol' USA you will find poverty just as intransigent and people without the means to care for their most basic needs... even the poorest here seem to be able to find food and shelter. Not so in our dear land. I could go on but this is not the place for it.
Thanks for saying this oyster. I was going to say pretty much the same, but didn't have the time to backstop it with data. The NYT is not the lib rag it was once thought to be.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #13457
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I'll pitch in

I carry my own cement block just for that purpose

If I forget, I call ahead to Juanitas (649-488-00-43) to make sure there are some available
LOL!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #13458
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
That line that runs from Eagle Pass to San Antonio, or the one that runs from Brownsville to Houston?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Hell if I know John. I runs from queretaro thru SMA then SLP, PROLLY THEN TO MATEHUALA, Saltillo, Monterrey?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #13459
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Somebody said, some pages back, that they wouldn't overnight in Torreon again. I think that's the takeaway for anyone who's actually spent a night there. That said, I had an OK night there. I just don't aspire to do it again.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #13460
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Ahhhh, OK. Thought you meant you COULDN'T use tubes. My only concern is the offset valve stem but Helge Pedersen says it's not a problem, so OK. Gonna start packing tubes and spoons when riding to remote areas. SOG carried tubes on our recent Mexico trip.
Yup. ( Like Tedder said) Just a new 19. But it was a direct result of TXJames slashing his front at RMAR on the rocks on Engineer Pass last summer.

And sure enough, Terrapinneck slashed his front on the rocks headed to Zaragoza. Two fat sticky plugs and gobs of glue held...but the tube was cheap insurance.

But like I said, I carried damn near everything repair or emergency-wise. I even had the OEM emergency rubber valve cover. I carried so much in case of a wreck, I almost caused a wreck by being overweight.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #13461
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,139
My moto died yesterday and has not fired since. Maybe the problem will be found now. Two loaded KLRs passed me while I was broke down and didn't even slow down!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #13462
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
My moto died yesterday and has not fired since. Maybe the problem will be found now. Two loaded KLRs passed me while I was broke down and didn't even slow down!
That's just WRONG! What's the matter with those guys?!

What are your plans, Donnie?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #13463
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
But like I said, I carried damn near everything repair or emergency-wise. I even had the OEM emergency rubber valve cover. I carried so much in case of a wreck, I almost caused a wreck by being overweight.
You were like Tanker and Tender all in one.
But you forgot to pack Theraflu.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #13464
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
That's just WRONG! What's the matter with those guys?!

What are your plans, Donnie?

It is going to a shop today. The mechanic looked at it yesterday and thinks it is the computer, but all the info I am getting from the Oilhead forum suggest it is related to the Hall Sensor. I need to verify if the Hall sensor was "really" replaced in Mexico! I am only 100 miles from Tapachula, MX and 150 miles from Ana;s house, so I will get it resolved one way or another. I am in Panajachel, Guatemala. I am looking at used parts on Ebay, don't know how difficult it will be to get them here. Anyone with experience on this issue from the US to Guatemala?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #13465
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
It is going to a shop today. The mechanic looked at it yesterday and thinks it is the computer, but all the info I am getting from the Oilhead forum suggest it is related to the Hall Sensor. I need to verify if the Hall sensor was "really" replaced in Mexico! I am only 100 miles from Tapachula, MX and 150 miles from Ana;s house, so I will get it resolved one way or another. I am in Panajachel, Guatemala. I am looking at used parts on Ebay, don't know how difficult it will be to get them here. Anyone with experience on this issue from the US to Guatemala?
+1 for the hall sensor. You had the hall sensor replaced in mexico? Where? are you sure they replaced it with a new one?

DO NOT buy a used hall sensor. Get a new one from beemerboneyard or euromotoelectric. I'm sure either one will help you with the shipping. Changing is simple. As noted on the GSpot thread the timing cup needs to be glued to the back of the alternator pulley and be sure the index tab on the cup mates with the slot in the output shaft.

I don't undertand your comment about jumpering the coil when the HES was replaced. HES relacement does not involve the coils and is plug and play. Check the hall of wisdom
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #13466
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Tedder - a couple of interesting things about this... ONE - I had a 650 V-Strom bought and set up for this trip, but low ground clearance was a pain and one (of a number) of the reasons I switched to the Super Tenere.

And TWO, Juanita has added that ramp there since I was there in December. It must be really disappointing for her to know that she made it too steep for fucking V-Stroms!

Now

Then

Super Tenere had no problem with what is basically 3 steps, if you include the concrete block at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
stock vstrom is too fucking low to leave Juanitas.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #13467
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
+ a bunch. Hard cases will break yo leg.

One of my -ex's got a nasty break just from the rail that supports the bags (bags were off when she fell).

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #13468
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Hey Donny,

Looks like you got the bike somewhere that it can be worked on... but I'm in Guatemala City today and tomorrow, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Can bring stuff over to Panajachal if necessary.

Trevor

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #13469
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Hell if I know John. I runs from queretaro thru SMA then SLP, PROLLY THEN TO MATEHUALA, Saltillo, Monterrey?
Gotcha! I was forgetting that you were on the Mexican side ;)

The Eagle Pass to San Antonio line runs through the small towns near here (Utopia). They seem to haul a lot of cement-like materials on Mexican rail cars. I think the tracks are being repaired at the moment.

I was once riding from Houston to Brownsville and the train was running next to the road. As I passed it I noticed that it was a CSX train and thought that was ironic since CSX was based in Jacksonville, FL, which was my home at the time.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #13470
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
+1 for the hall sensor. You had the hall sensor replaced in mexico? Where? are you sure they replaced it with a new one?

DO NOT buy a used hall sensor. Get a new one from beemerboneyard or euromotoelectric. I'm sure either one will help you with the shipping. Changing is simple. As noted on the GSpot thread the timing cup needs to be glued to the back of the alternator pulley and be sure the index tab on the cup mates with the slot in the output shaft.

I don't undertand your comment about jumpering the coil when the HES was replaced. HES relacement does not involve the coils and is plug and play. Check the hall of wisdom

Donnie- I'm with Bob here. Did they really replace it. Hmmm.

Maybe its possible the new one is a dud too.

This is really a bummer of a goat rodeo.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote