Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #13471
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
A bummer or a beemer?

heheh. One might say that. At least his final drive is holding up.

There are days when a simple carb and a points type distributor are the best technology ever.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #13472
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,989
Of all the things that can go wrong on a bike, I hate intermittent electrical gremlins the most. Sorry its happening Donnie.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #13473
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,913
Don't feel bad, Donnie, the Rocky Mountain Oyster pulled into town last Thursday and we set up an early AM departure on Friday. I go outside and my bike was totally dead, nada, not even a grunt or a giggle. I had replaced the battery with a Yuasa (yes, I know the controversy but it was all I could get) because my original BMW factory fitted battery was slowly going on me.
I ended up using my old battery to run the bike over to Rafael Lagos shop and he has a replacement battery coming in soon. He gave me his GS1200 battery to use so David and I could ride with no problems. Reason number one to support your local independent bike shop! My thoughts on this lean towards something simple and not complex. Have you checked the main ground is clean and tight? Just a simple thing to check, weird grounds can give you grief!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #13474
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,913
Now, let's try something different, some black and white for a change.
As mentioned, the Rocky Oyster pulled into town fresh from a night in Altotonga, Friday morning's battery drama on my end meant no ride on Friday.
However, Saturday saw the feeling return to Dave's Leg.

Viva la Virgen! (Find the message)

On the way to Dave's Leg of the Jimmy ride.

The Rocky Oyster hisself, a study in patience and tolerance as I try for the shot that got away!

Later, down on the Serdan altiplano on the old haciendas route, I found a little cactus and a big mountain.

Sunday we went down to Tlacotalpan, I hadn't been there for a little while.
Many more nice little hotels and the town is looking good following a near miss with losing their UNESCO heritage site status.

Lately, I've been trying to learn to see in black and white.

Enough of the self-indulgence, here's some color.

The Rocky Mountain Oyster "hauling the mail" into Acocomotla, Puebla.
Personally, I think the burst of speed and uncanny roadholding ability in the dirt was because the lady from the store and with the pink rubber gloves on was chasing him!

If there is one thing that is true about Mexico, some of the views haven't changed in centuries. Here's one for you:

Great weather for his visit, low 30's c and at the crest of the mountain on Dave's Leg it was in the high teens in centigrade which is uncommon for February down here.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #13475
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
+1 for the hall sensor. You had the hall sensor replaced in mexico? Where? are you sure they replaced it with a new one?

DO NOT buy a used hall sensor. Get a new one from beemerboneyard or euromotoelectric. I'm sure either one will help you with the shipping. Changing is simple. As noted on the GSpot thread the timing cup needs to be glued to the back of the alternator pulley and be sure the index tab on the cup mates with the slot in the output shaft.

I don't undertand your comment about jumpering the coil when the HES was replaced. HES relacement does not involve the coils and is plug and play. Check the hall of wisdom
It was supposedly replaced with a used unit. The connector was the one between the Hall Sensor and the Motronic. I am not aware about gluing the cup to the pulley, I need to read up on that. This is what we found this morning.

We checked the Hall Sensor or what was left of it! The hole inside the cup had gotten too large and the cup took out the sensor, plus a small bit out of the belt. Now I need a cup, sensor and a belt in Solola', Guatemala. I am looking at some pieces on Ebay. I can receive by FedEx here and of course there is the BMW Shop in Guatemala City that I know can access a new Hall Sensor quickly. Any ideas on something from the US? The cup could be made to work as well as the belt.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #13476
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
heheh. One might say that. At least his final drive is holding up.

There are days when a simple carb and a points type distributor are the best technology ever.
I already replaced that myself!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #13477
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Hey Donny,

Looks like you got the bike somewhere that it can be worked on... but I'm in Guatemala City today and tomorrow, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Can bring stuff over to Panajachal if necessary.

Trevor
I need to contact The BMW Shop. They may not want to sell me anything! After keeping my bike for nine days and not finding the problem and that was after some pressure from Jose and the local BMW Club to work on the bike. They finally had me sign a paper that said they could not find the problem and that I was taking the bike under my own responsibility. They didn't charge me anything, but it did wasted nine days.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #13478
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
It was supposedly replaced with a used unit. The connector was the one between the Hall Sensor and the Motronic. I am not aware about gluing the cup to the pulley, I need to read up on that. This is what we found this morning.

We checked the Hall Sensor or what was left of it! The hole inside the cup had gotten too large and the cup took out the sensor, plus a small bit out of the belt. Now I need a cup, sensor and a belt in Solola', Guatemala. I am looking at some pieces on Ebay. I can receive by FedEx here and of course there is the BMW Shop in Guatemala City that I know can access a new Hall Sensor quickly. Any ideas on something from the US? The cup could be made to work as well as the belt.
USED?! USED?!

Donnie, I'm an absolute nut, but I do have the same bike that is not going anywhere soon due to the snow. Its an Organ donor if necessary. I know my HES is good, but I wouldn't know the wire condition until removed. I'd ABSOLUTELY encourage getting that NEW from either BMW or:

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/cat...show=20&page=4

Mexico express box is $80. So they at least know Mexico.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Articles.asp?ID=139

Time or price, take your pick.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #13479
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Now, let's try something different, some black and white for a change.
As mentioned, the Rocky Oyster pulled into town fresh from a night in Altotonga, Friday morning's battery drama on my end meant no ride on Friday.
However, Saturday saw the feeling return to Dave's Leg.

Viva la Virgen! (Find the message)

On the way to Dave's Leg of the Jimmy ride.

The Rocky Oyster hisself, a study in patience and tolerance as I try for the shot that got away!

Later, down on the Serdan altiplano on the old haciendas route, I found a little cactus and a big mountain.

Sunday we went down to Tlacotalpan, I hadn't been there for a little while.
Many more nice little hotels and the town is looking good following a near miss with losing their UNESCO heritage site status.

Lately, I've been trying to learn to see in black and white.

Enough of the self-indulgence, here's some color.

The Rocky Mountain Oyster "hauling the mail" into Acocomotla, Puebla.
Personally, I think the burst of speed and uncanny roadholding ability in the dirt was because the lady from the store and with the pink rubber gloves on was chasing him!

If there is one thing that is true about Mexico, some of the views haven't changed in centuries. Here's one for you:

Great weather for his visit, low 30's c and at the crest of the mountain on Dave's Leg it was in the high teens in centigrade which is uncommon for February down here.
Left elbow nice pics mike
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #13480
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Fedex Economy is $216 delivery Weds. next week. (Duties Included?)
USPS Int'l Express is 6-10 days for $30
(both small boxes, about 5#)

I suggest trying native parts sourcing. Ouch!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #13481
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

I'll take a print of these two especially.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #13482
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

I have sent an email to Jose at Guatemala BMW to check on sourcing new parts here. I will follow up in a few minutes with a phone call. Not including the new fuel pump and filter I purchased, I have spent over $700 on this problem so far. Not the end of the world by no means, but a bit aggravating. This does not include the two weeks I have sat in a hotel waiting on repairs. I am having a good time, but would like to make it to Panama some day!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #13483
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Tedder - a couple of interesting things about this... ONE - I had a 650 V-Strom bought and set up for this trip, but low ground clearance was a pain and one (of a number) of the reasons I switched to the Super Tenere.

And TWO, Juanita has added that ramp there since I was there in December. It must be really disappointing for her to know that she made it too steep for fucking V-Stroms!
Hah. It's a very mexico-style ramp. Like some of the ramps in Creel.

With aftermarket suspension and no bags/passenger I thought the clearance would be better. I still ground the centerstand in Copper Canyon enough that it was falling off, so I tossed it in my luggage for the trip home.

I forgot last time I did a big Mexico/Central America trip I had the 'strom on raising links.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #13484
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

All I can say Donnie is that you've inspired me to take my GS to the shed, pull out the HES, and give it a good once over, before my next trip south.

Some evidence newer 1100GS had better wiring on the HES, but I think I'll check just to be sure.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #13485
Oneyedjack
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I posted something a few weeks ago about a planned motorcycle trip to Mexico. A buddy and I just returned from our 13 day motorcycle trip through northern Mexico and the Baja. Had a great time and experienced no problems at all other than a 2 and half hour wait at a military checkpoint after getting off the ferry in Pichilingue outside of La Paz. Don't really know what that was all about since the other military checks on the trip were a quick search or check and we were on our way.

We were really blown away by the country and the people on our trip. Extremely friendly, helpful, and courteous. We stayed at TurkeyCreek's Hotel Los Arcos in Banamichi the first night after crossing at Naco AZ. Tom and Lynn have a great place and Tom was extremely helpful with suggestions on routes and places to stay for the rest of our trip. We really enjoyed the Ruta de la Sonora and Ruta de la Sierra (highway 118 and 12) through Sahuaripa, San Nicolas and Rosario.

Anyway, Mexico is a fantastic place to ride!

Here are a few pictures.