Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #13606
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Interesting how his nationality bothered some of the kidnappers.
Jim is rtwpaul's friend from the Nick Sanders TDF-Deadhorse ride. Paul posted about it here.

A few months ago Paul came through Austin and gave me a very full account of what happened. This criminal group owns a section of MX200 and has been preying on traffic for some years. Truly bad hombres known for killing US citizens. They chased Paul for some miles before giving up. Paul thought he was chased as a result of these men seeing Paul observe them and not due to being on a motorcycle. Jim's kidnapping is widely understood to be opportunistic, targeting the 4WD crew cab truck.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 05:07 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #13607
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Now, after PJ's detour into the chi-chi bars (and it might not be a detour, but the point of the trip, actually) here's some learnin' and culturfication for you wanna be junior spanish speakers:

http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/2...e#.US_T8zcgvOk

There's some words in espanol that came from the arabic. Has something to do with the moors, reconquista and andalucia.

I always wondered about some of the words on that list. Some of them even made it into English. Blame the Arabs for Algebra!
And for those intrepid Mexico riders who may be picking up a little Spanish Lingo down south, more than a few words being learned are not Spanish at all, but Nahuatl.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #13608
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,465
Jeez. I think I will do my best to find another route . But I do note that the UK press turned it into narco-landia and druglords. Instead of just a band of criminal thugs. Played better. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 05:16 PM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #13609
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Many folks today like to paint the Arabs as being ignert and militarily incapable, but the reality is that they got so pissed off with the Crusaders that they sent troops to Spain and conquered Spain.
Maybe they weren't then, but they sure as hell are now.

I lived in the Middle East (Saudi, Bahrain & the UAE) for 5 years, and as one Pakistani construction supervisor (20 year veteran of Saudi) told me "Boss, if we leave in 5 years they will be drinking seawater"

I think they were fine pre-mohammed, and definitely had military skills when it involved horses and swords. Give 'em a Hummer today and they'll just try to drift it. That the vehicle ends up pointing away from the enemy is just a bonus.

Trust me, they are far past their glory days...
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #13610
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Note to self. Avoid that stretch of MX200.
No known history of motorcycles being targeted. Paul was very clear on the point that he brought that on himself by staring at these guys as they climbed into their Escalade with their automatic weapons. That's what travel fatigue can do to you.

I'm still planning on riding that bit of road. Early in the day. On a fast bike.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #13611
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,465
But ya know, JD. As purty as the Big Ugly is and with me all dressed up in eBay's finest, just sounds a bit risky. ;)

And heck. If they find out about my upgraded Lithuanian transmission ..well. I'm toast.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #13612
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
No known history of motorcycles being targeted. Paul was very clear on the point that he brought that on himself by staring at these guys as they climbed into their Escalade with their automatic weapons. That's what travel fatigue can do to you.

I'm still planning on riding that bit of road. Early in the day. On a fast bike.

I have ridden MX200 many times! I was shot once, but I can't remember which time! There are parts of it like the California Pacific Coast highway, without traffic!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #13613
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Rode it January of 2011. Puerto Escondido to Acapulco. I think it was the same road. No problems, not a very exciting stretch of road. Good thing.
McFoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #13614
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Yes! ;)

History is funny. Many folks today like to paint the Arabs as being ignert and militarily incapable, but the reality is that they got so pissed off with the Crusaders that they sent troops to Spain and conquered Spain.

Likewise when the Conquistadors came to Mexico there were comments that the Mexican indigenous folks had built better cities than the Europeans were able to construct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
History is funny. Since at one time the Arabs were very advanced, one has to wonder what the hell happened to them.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #13615
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #13616
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
History is funny. Since at one time the Arabs were very advanced, one has to wonder what the hell happened to them.
I wonder if development stopped around the time they started banging their heads on the floor 5 times a day? That must make it pretty hard to focus.

I'm married, and I know what constantly being hit with a frying pan did to my mental acuity
Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #13617
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Well it has been said that if extraterrestrial aliens were to land in the USA they would first had to be tested for radiation probably by the border patrol and then greet by the government
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #13618
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
CSM Amigo.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #13619
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I have ridden MX200 many times! I was shot once, but I can't remember which time! There are parts of it like the California Pacific Coast highway, without traffic!
"Shot through the heart
And you're to blame, Honey,
You give love a bad name."

Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #13620
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
But ya know, JD. As purty as the Big Ugly is and with me all dressed up in eBay's finest, just sounds a bit risky. ;)

And heck. If they find out about my upgraded Lithuanian transmission ..well. I'm toast.
Well, all us old farts think we're still irresistible.