Oh! Shit

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #13682
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I had trouble tripping the sensor with my F650 at Reynosa.
The loud siren is to wake up the inspectors that they have a potential revenue prospect coming across the border. Mexican citizens are subject to healthy taxes on products they bring back from the US Sam's Club.

Gringos not so much. So don't sweat it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #13683
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The loud siren is to wake up the inspectors that they have a potential revenue prospect coming across the border. Mexican citizens are subject to healthy taxes on products they bring back from the US Sam's Club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #13684
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Would love to come along but how are you going to do that in 4 days? that's what it will take me from point A to D
I will be one day behind you in Sayulita. Leaving Laredo on the 15, into Sayulita on the 18 by way of DGO and MZT. Safe travels.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #13685
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

2400 km in 8 days all off-road in Baja.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #13686
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Art......why down through Aguascalientes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Riding to Sayulita, leaving this Mar 13, and returning on Mar 17. quick ride.
any one? looks like I'm the only one from the border to meet the riders at Zacatecas...

more later....

Arte

I don't think I can ride with you all, but stay in touch....maybe the night you are in Zacatecas we could meet for tacos??

Is there a reason you are not taking the highway south of Zacatecas or over to Jerez and then south?
In the past I have been told that the highway south of Jerez was not safe, but they say they have cleaned it up a lot now.....I took it a couple of time to Guadaljara the end of last year and I really liked it.
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #13687
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
The Mexican Adauna makes no differentiation between Mexicans and Foreigners when it comes to bringing merchandise into the country. They do not discriminate and will be as happy to tax a Gringo on a flat screen TV as a Mexican.
Hey SR will I have any problem walking across the border with a used motorcycle shock. Do I need to declare it?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #13688
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
+ 2

Quote:
The Mexican Adauna makes no differentiation between Mexicans and Foreigners when it comes to bringing merchandise into the country. They do not discriminate and will be as happy to tax a Gringo on a flat screen TV as a Mexican.
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #13689
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

Bad advice

Quote:
Good advice
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #13690
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The "Zacatecas - DF Box"

If you want one (of the many) concentrated areas of Mexico to take a ride, take an online map of Mexico, put the cursor on Zacatecas, and drag to Mexico City. This box you have created (shown here captured from Arte's routing with his upcoming March 13 route, the blue line), is a section of the interior that has some outstanding riding destinations:

The "Golden Triangle" is smack in the middle, too.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #13691
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

And Now a Word from our Sponsor

Sunday morning coffee with Kate Del Castillo

Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #13692
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 892
In order to get the gate at the Aduana to open, I have taken to standing on the pegs and doing a down weight motion. It seem to work if I hit the sensor just right.

Mexicans get a $50 credit to bring stuff in, gringos $75. At Christmas and Easter, Mexicans get $300 per person while gringos are still at $50.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #13693
MadMex
n00b

Oddometer: 2
mexico

I travel through Mexico 2-3 times a year either on my GS or my 99 Yukon. One thing to remember while in Mexico is that nothing takes you further than respect. If dealing with police, army or any other such entity, take off your sunglasses and your gloves, extend your hand and smile; this has always worked for me. I get a good handshake and sometimes a smile back. One thing is for sure, it takes the edge off this guys; who risk their lives every day out there. Also, you can ride pretty hard in Mexico, and I do, but the federales know you are out there, believe me, so when you come to a populated area ( Poblado Proximo) bring it down to 25-30 MPH. The federales know you are coming, and if they see you have respect for their town, 99% of the time they will leave you alone. They know we are having fun hauling ass, they just appreciate us being adults about it.
Mexico is relatively safe, like I said respect gets you a long way. Don't ride at night, that can be dangerous !!! Don't do any camping, stay in Hotels, and if there is one, always give the guard a good tip. Five bucks, 50 pesos is a good tip. The rest is common sense !!!
MadMex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #13694
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMex View Post
I travel through Mexico 2-3 times a year either on my GS or my 99 Yukon. One thing to remember while in Mexico is that nothing takes you further than respect. If dealing with police, army or any other such entity, take off your sunglasses and your gloves, extend your hand and smile; this has always worked for me. I get a good handshake and sometimes a smile back. One thing is for sure, it takes the edge off this guys; who risk their lives every day out there. Also, you can ride pretty hard in Mexico, and I do, but the federales know you are out there, believe me, so when you come to a populated area ( Poblado Proximo) bring it down to 25-30 MPH. The federales know you are coming, and if they see you have respect for their town, 99% of the time they will leave you alone. They know we are having fun hauling ass, they just appreciate us being adults about it.
Mexico is relatively safe, like I said respect gets you a long way. Don't ride at night, that can be dangerous !!! Don't do any camping, stay in Hotels, and if there is one, always give the guard a good tip. Five bucks, 50 pesos is a good tip. The rest is common sense !!!
Not a bad summary for your second post on ADV. Welcome to the site and IMS.

You're from San Antonio as well - if you ever wish to compare notes/experiences, I'll meet you over at Two Brothers BBQ near the airport.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #13695
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The official Facebook page of the Mexico Tourism Board

We Visit Mexico