Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #13711
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
That's useful information. I gotta learn more of the "tricks".
My favorite so far was when he took a memory foam mattress. You know those ones that they wrap up real tight and you have to leave out for 24+ hours while it expands? He was in the truck since it was too big for the bike. He stopped and declared it and said it was for his bed. The Aduana asked if it was for camping and then commented that there is no tax on camping goods. My dad looked at him and said " why yes, that is exactly what it is." The Aduana thanked him for stopping and wished him a safe trip.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #13712
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,097

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #13713
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
. Keep in mind that some of us didn't arrive here just few years ago. We grew up here and have been crossing the border for some 40 years or more. Your experiences, while somewhat informative, are hardly definitive.

Are we back to measuring pekker sizes Schizz? ;)

My suspicions are that during that time that I lived in Mission I crossed more often than anyone except the guys who crossed daily.

Back to computers, didn't Mexico once tax computers pretty heavily in order to encourage local production? Once upon a time most of the monitors in the USA were made in Tijuana.

Also, as trivia Laredo and McAllen have Sam's Clubs. Most of the plates in the parking lots will be from Mexico. I assume they are paying their taxes, but one thing that always surprised me were the bulk quantities of food that people bought and presumably took back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #13714
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
What year was this?
2009, 2010, 2011.

AD ;)

Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #13715
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

Also, as trivia Laredo and McAllen have Sam's Clubs. Most of the plates in the parking lots will be from Mexico. I assume they are paying their taxes, but one thing that always surprised me were the bulk quantities of food that people bought and presumably took back.
Ever shopped at Sam's across the border? It's not the same.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #13716
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
it was cheaper to import caterpillar parts on the cessnas and machinery following a motograder through the desert south of big bend
Smuggling CAT parts through the desert? Probably a story or three there.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #13717
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Ever shopped at Sam's across the border? It's not the same.

Selection not as good? Prices high?

That big HEB in Reynosa next to the Sierra Madre Brewing Co. seems like they want to compete with Sam's Club because they had quite a bit more then just food. I remember thinking that their prices on furniture and such were nothing extraordinary and that the selection was mediocre.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #13718
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,405
Quote:
2009, 2010, 2011.

AD ;)
This is just back and forth to the border town?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #13719
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,097
Quote:
It's not that I don't appreciate your border knowledge, John. I just find it a bit narrow compared to that of other regulars on this thread.

But if I ever want to cross the Border to get drunk and shag a puta, YOU DA MAN!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #13720
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
It's not that I don't appreciate your border knowledge, John. I just find it a bit narrow compared to that of other regulars on this thread.

But if I ever want to cross the Border to get drunk and shag a puta, YOU DA MAN!!

Actually, I get the impression that you are more of the Boys Town expert than I am. Not like there is anything wrong with that ;)

Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #13721
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Well, I'll let you two battle as you will, I don't even want to be in the same zip code when it really heats up.

I do believe everyone might generally agree what happened 40 years ago in Mexico isn't fresh and relevant. I do give huge props to Schizzman, whose last trip downrange past the border on a motorcycle was a couple of weeks ago. And a major, longer trip in January. I did a big chunk of that trip with him. Like Schizz has mentioned, very accurately, nobody in the IMS thread is an expert. Well, Sjoerd is. That guy is at a different level than anyone who has ever posted here. And the best part? He just rides and reports, and creates guides to help people. He doesn't swing his internet dick. I thought when he was at my house I was sitting with Indiana Freakin' Jones of the Mexico Division.

And Schizz also rode Mexico, downrange, more than a few occasions last year as well. And the year before that. His observations on really traveling into Mexico on a motorcycle are fresh and relevant, and he'll admit before anyone that he's still in the learning mode. As am I, and everyone else in this thread.

You, PJ, your last downrange trip into Mexico was with Arte, in July 2009 or thereabouts. Correct me if I've got that wrong. That means in about 4 months it will 4 years since you've last ventured south past the border on a bike into 'non pub crawl" border town Mexico. But, props are due you, on the other hand, for posting on being willing to assist people at the border with crossing into Mexico. Mark883 is one example of a rider who has availed himself of your services. I know he appreciated that.

Any one of us could keep riding into Mexico for the next hundred years and never find out or know about all there is to find and enjoy about that place. I do know we are all very fortunate to have any time in Mexico at all, and we all keep learning, and sharing what we know.

This is a great community of folks who love Mexico.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #13722
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
I do believe everyone might generally agree what happened 40 years ago in Mexico isn't fresh and relevant.
Can you please tell my wife that!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #13723
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Can you please tell my wife that!

There was about a 2 second delay before it hit me
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #13724
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Well, I'll let you two battle as you will, I don't even want to be in the same zip code when it really heats up.

I do believe everyone might generally agree what happened 40 years ago in Mexico isn't fresh and relevant. I do give huge props to Schizzman, whose last trip downrange past the border on a motorcycle was a couple of weeks ago. And a major, longer trip in January. I did a big chunk of that trip with him. Like Schizz has mentioned, very accurately, nobody in the IMS thread is an expert. Well, Sjoerd is. That guy is at a different level than anyone who has ever posted here. And the best part? He just rides and reports, and creates guides to help people. He doesn't swing his internet dick. I thought when he was at my house I was sitting with Indiana Freakin' Jones of the Mexico Division.

And Schizz also rode Mexico, downrange, more than a few occasions last year as well. And the year before that. His observations on really traveling into Mexico on a motorcycle are fresh and relevant, and he'll admit before anyone that he's still in the learning mode. As am I, and everyone else in this thread.

You, PJ, your last downrange trip into Mexico was with Arte, in July 2009 or thereabouts. Correct me if I've got that wrong. That means in about 4 months it will 4 years since you've last ventured south past the border on a bike into 'non pub crawl" border town Mexico. But, props are due you, on the other hand, for posting on being willing to assist people at the border with crossing into Mexico. Mark883 is one example of a rider who has availed himself of your services. I know he appreciated that.

Any one of us could keep riding into Mexico for the next hundred years and never find out or know about all there is to find and enjoy about that place. I do know we are all very fortunate to have any time in Mexico at all, and we all keep learning, and sharing what we know.

This is a great community of folks who love Mexico.

No problem with what you wrote.

I was doing business - and trying to do business - with Winter Texans, RGV area realtors, and so forth. That keeps one around the border. Although we did use a printer in Monterrey for awhile and had contacts with other people there.

Also, I joke about hitting the Mission Bar a lot. What I don't tell but some understand is that it's a meeting place for businessmen. For awhile I was a manager with a water company in the RGV. One of the regulars there was 3rd in charge of a water utility in Mexico. We were drinking plenty of beer and trying to cook deals until both of our bosses died at about the same time and we both decided that it was time to move on to other projects. Quickly.

One has to do what one enjoys. Life is too short. The last time, a few months ago, that I had several weeks to go riding I didn't go south. I went north. To Milwaukee. Partly for personal reasons and partly because, after riding everywhere else during the last several decades, I hadn't been to Wisconsin since I was in high school.

I had fun. And was shocked to see how many Mexican folks there are in Chicago and Wisconsin. Who would have thunk it? ;)

Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #13725
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Selection not as good? Prices high?

It's a different type of selection, and the prices are higher in Mexico from what I remember. It's like when I shop the latin food section at walmart and HEB. They shop the American stores to get their fix on food that's available here.

On another note, the old man left for home this morning. He got brave and threw the new motorcycle tire in the back of the truck and figured he would take his chances. He just called to say he got the red light in Reynosa and they didn't think twice about the tire value. He got checked at the garita, and they passed him through without concern about the tire.

Sometimes you get lucky. When I was working down there, our technicians needed new tools. We determined the best deal was for us to buy 3 or 4 large Craftsman tool sets on one of our trips to the US. Even with the importation it would be cheaper than buying them down there. Even the cheaper "Pretul" and "Truper" branded tools were more expensive than Craftsman tools. One of the guys also wanted a hammer drill so he sent me up with some money to buy that for him. When we stopped to declare everything in Reynosa we showed them all the receipts for the tools, it must have been over $1000. We told them we were taking them to the plant and using them for a business and we wished to import them. They handed the receipt back and said don't worry about it. We were amazed. We got on the highway and made it to the Garita and stopped there and tried to pay the importation. We told them the guys in Reynosa said not to worry about it, but we wanted to make sure it was being done by the book so we wouldn't have trouble down the road. They said the same thing the guys in Reynosa said. First and only time I have ever seen that happen. I wouldn't ever think to be that lucky again in the future.