Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #13756
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
The rules change again as the guys manning the military checkpoints begin to recognize you. This is how it is for me now when returning through Allende. I get off the bike and enjoy telling the guys where I've been. Jokes are made and it serves to break up the monotony for them. The "inspection" is not even real anymore. That will change, of course, should they rotate those guys out of there.
Indeed. In fact, one was heard to say "Here comes JD, international motorcycling legend"
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #13757
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Indeed. In fact, one was heard to say "Here comes JD, international motorcycling legend"
International? Yeah, as in all of three countries to date. I'm a friggin' icon.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #13758
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
OK...time flys when your having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The first PAN president was Fox and he was elected 12 years ago. Zedillo from the PRI was elected 18 years ago and he was the replacement for Colossio who was assassinated in Tijuana. The PRI had ruled Mexico for 71 years and just got re-elected.
If anyone is keeping score.

They say you lose 2 things when you get old......one is your memory. .....ah...ah.....I can't remember what the other is...
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #13759
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post

They say you lose 2 things when you get old......one is your memory. .....ah...ah.....I can't remember what the other is...
That's exactly how the PRI got re-elected!

Se olvide and no se olvide...from the old El Tri song video about Tlatelolco.
Great moment in video statements. Alex Lora might be old, but he has never lost his edge.

Great moments in checkpoint history, true story, after riding through Xalapa in hellacious downpour with the Craneguy (who luckily was going no further) I was stopped at the big checkpoint on the way south out of Xalapa. I literally had rivers of water flowing out of my sleeves etc...totally soaked.
Soldier says, "What do you have in the tank bag"?
I said, "Live fish".
That lightened the mood a little.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #13760
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

That beats my "la bomba" story at the Mexico City airport.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #13761
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Great Moments in Checkpoint History

Crossing back into Mexico from Guatemala last year, I pull over for the Army boys.

"Open the boxes" the stern and unsmiling Lt says to me. The man is puckered, and no humor is to be seen on anyone's faces. You could tell he set the (sour) mood for his enlisted troops.

Got to the left side box. Unbeknownst to me, my quart of oil had developed a small hole due to rubbing against other stuff in the box, and the oil leaked out and had filled the entire bottom of the pannier.

The Lt discovered this for me as he was lifting out the contents of the box with a long, thin piece of wire. He got to some shirts and rags, all soaked with oil, and lifted them up to his eye level. He looked at the dripping contents, looked at me, looked at them again, and let them drop into the pannier. The enlisted guys looked at him. He looked at them. One of the guys started to smile at me, but the LT looked at him again with "the evil eye", and the enlisted guy stopped smiling.

"Be on your way", he said. He never asked about the oil mess, and I'm not sure he noticed the quart of oil had a hole in it. Neither did I til later.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #13762
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

He was looking for your pipe and balaclava.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #13763
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,205
Hi!

I am in Nicaragua today. In the process of paying a fine for a road infraction
that I don't think I committed, but I was not going to pay a bribe! Moto continues to run great!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #13764
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hi!

I am in Nicaragua today. In the process of paying a fine for a road infraction
that I don't think I committed, but I was not going to pay a bribe! Moto continues to run great!

Donnie
Yeah, saw your spot track yesterday, there was movement going on, and I was hoping it wasn't because you were in a pickup.

Great news! Except for the traffic fine part.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #13765
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Crossing back into Mexico from Guatemala last year, I pull over for the Army boys.

"Open the boxes" the stern and unsmiling Lt says to me. The man is puckered, and no humor is to be seen on anyone's faces. You could tell he set the (sour) mood for his enlisted troops.

Got to the left side box. Unbeknownst to me, my quart of oil had developed a small hole due to rubbing against other stuff in the box, and the oil leaked out and had filled the entire bottom of the pannier.

The Lt discovered this for me as he was lifting out the contents of the box with a long, thin piece of wire. He got to some shirts and rags, all soaked with oil, and lifted them up to his eye level. He looked at the dripping contents, looked at me, looked at them again, and let them drop into the pannier. The enlisted guys looked at him. He looked at them. One of the guys started to smile at me, but the LT looked at him again with "the evil eye", and the enlisted guy stopped smiling.

"Be on your way", he said. He never asked about the oil mess, and I'm not sure he noticed the quart of oil had a hole in it. Neither did I til later.
No wonder you're looking at the MSR fuel bottle to carry your top-off oil in.

jimmex screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 01:32 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #13766
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

South of Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Since our goal is to ride on the Sayulita Area, the reason to ride thru Aguascalientes is because is faster (all highway to Guadalajara).
We usually go thru Valparaiso and ride over the mountains to get to San Blas Nayarit, but since that nice road is no longer dirt road , then we take the faster one.
Art....I don't intend to hijack your ride but if you are looking for fun and fast I still recomend you go south out of Zacatecas turn right over to Jerez then turn south to Guadalajara.....it is all paved and the last 50 miles or so are in the hills and it is a fun ride. You come in to Guadaljara on the west side so you miss most of that city ridding also. No dirt, all pavement, very little trafic real fun and fast. I went to Chapala for New Years and I went down this way and back through Aguascalientes.....I wish I would have come back the same way I went down. I have riden over to San blass through valparaiso and what I am recommending is not like that.....it is your ride, but I highly recomend going down through Jerez.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #13767
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Bing! We have a winner!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #13768
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oil and ruined luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
After ruining several different articles of soft luggage with leakey oil I found a bag at Acadamey in the bicycle section that is about the size of a liter oil bottle. It has Velcro straps and I sewed on another adjustable strap and when I travel I strap the bag with oil on the crash bars....I also put the oil in a large zip lock bag so if the cap leaks I still don't mess up the bag. It has worked well for me and I have not messed up anything since I started packing my oil this way....
Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #13769
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Just announced: Hugo Chavez dead.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #13770
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Just announced: Hugo Chavez dead.