Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #13786
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Daily de-brief at the Starlight and the Boathouse in Ghost Town, and La Kiva down the road.
Central Texas HOG chapter went through there recently. They dropped La Kiva off the ride destinations due to a non-navigable parking lot.

I guess that means they didn't take the chapter to the Hot Springs.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #13787
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Central Texas HOG chapter went through there recently. They dropped La Kiva off the ride destinations due to a non-navigable parking lot.

I guess that means they didn't take the chapter to the Hot Springs.

What is a 'non-navigable' parking lot? Is that like the airspace over the White House?

Do the HOG chapters have access to some service akin to NOTAMs?

(Arrrgh! Don't go ye there! There be potholes and tight turns! Arrrgh! Danger of keeling over ye Harley!)
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #13788
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
They'll let you in. You have American dollars.
I have Bolivianos. Bought some on the black market right before they told me I'm persona non grata down on the Carribean coast at the Venezuela frontera.

I'm heading up into the mountains where the living is easy and the borders are loose. It's like when I was crossing the Darien in a Kuna cargo boat. It seemed crazy. But Damn! That was an adventure. If it was easy, what would the fun be. Well okay, the bike did suffer a bit.

But I think with my name change, I might make it into Venezuela next week.

Saludos,
Juan Chavez
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #13789
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
with the confussion created by the untimely passing of el Presidente, it might be wise to 'procrastinate' a few days away..

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #13790
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
Art....I don't intend to hijack your ride but if you are looking for fun and fast I still recomend you go south out of Zacatecas turn right over to Jerez then turn south to Guadalajara.....it is all paved and the last 50 miles or so are in the hills and it is a fun ride. You come in to Guadaljara on the west side so you miss most of that city ridding also. No dirt, all pavement, very little trafic real fun and fast. I went to Chapala for New Years and I went down this way and back through Aguascalientes.....I wish I would have come back the same way I went down. I have riden over to San blass through valparaiso and what I am recommending is not like that.....it is your ride, but I highly recomend going down through Jerez.
I'll see what the guys from Zacatecas wanna do.. perhaps at the end we may decide to ride againg thru Valparaiso - Huejuquilla- Estacion Ruiz - San Blas... !

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #13791
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

hilarious!!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #13792
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
.....at the end we may decide to ride againg thru Valparaiso - Huejuquilla- Estacion Ruiz - San Blas... !
Any of the routes you posted are excellent
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #13793
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Music to my ears! Now I'll be going to La Kiva more often!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #13794
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,913
Every now and then, Mexico the muse serves up a treat. For example, last night around 6:30pm, I am yapping away with the Craneguy on the cel while I am waiting for a security guard to let me in through a gate. He's taking his time and savoring his little moment of control. No big deal, you play the game same as you do with the TSA people in Houston. I am deemed worthy of entry and glide into the complex, turn a corner to head down into the parking area and this is staring me in the face.

Not a good quality photo, just cel phone quality.

There is something about this country that sometimes hits you so sweetly, you hang up on friends! LOL!
Sorry Steve!

Everyone has had these moments, I just felt like I needed to share this one.

It is an overwhelming feeling that I call "goin' coastal" (not postal).

The photo does not do justice to the scene, seeing the peak backlit like that made me want to be "teleported" to Atzitzintla or Texmaliquilla up on the slope and get a nice close up. Within about 5 minutes of getting the pic, she lowered her skirt and was gone...

MikeMike screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 05:08 AM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #13795
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Every now and then, Mexico the muse serves up a treat. For example, last night around 6:30pm, I am yapping away with the Craneguy on the cel while I am waiting for a security guard to let me in through a gate. He's taking his time and savoring his little moment of control. No big deal, you play the game same as you do with the TSA people in Houston. I am deemed worthy of entry and glide into the complex, turn a corner to head down into the parking area and this is staring me in the face.

Damn, now I really feel special. Hung-up on for a picture of a puddle and a large rock...

JK. Nice picture Mikey.

Craneguy screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 06:03 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #13796
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Interesting. Mexico murder rates by state...I had no idea my state, Morelos, was so far up the rankings. These are deaths per 100k people.

The data is three years old though. I'm pretty sure Guerrero (Acapulco) has taken the top spot now.

It's worth pointing out that these charts don't mean much. Cancun, which is just about the safest place a "tourist" can go, is in a state (Quintana Roo) that's near the top of the list.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #13797
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
It's worth pointing out that these charts don't mean much.
So the point is..........?

New Orleans consistently has one of the highest murder rates in the U.S., but that didn't put off the NFL from holding the 2013 event at the Superdome.

You are correct: these charts and maps mean nothing.

Recently, somebody posted a "map" of Mexico showing "danger areas", and was discussing mapping a route through it to avoid the "shaded areas"

When a pattern* of direct attack upon vagabond motociclistas begins, that's when to pay attention.

*Some will have a tougher time than others defining this.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #13798
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

Not a good quality photo, just cel phone quality.

There is something about this country that sometimes hits you so sweetly, you hang up on friends! LOL!
Sorry Steve!

Everyone has had these moments, I just felt like I needed to share this one.

It is an overwhelming feeling that I call "goin' coastal" (not postal).

The photo does not do justice to the scene, seeing the peak backlit like that made me want to be "teleported" to Atzitzintla or Texmaliquilla up on the slope and get a nice close up. Within about 5 minutes of getting the pic, she lowered her skirt and was gone...
Nice pic Mike ., while in Veracruz i was thrill with how the lady that talks to me from the GPS would pronounce Paso de Ovejas Sheep's Crossway not that there were sheeps crossing the road but this place named like that want to go back just to hear her again
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #13799
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,913
I think the GPS lady is the Aeromexico airlines and Chedrahui supermarket lady. A voice that can make you do things!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #13800
Craneguy
British Hooligan

You're right of course.

I was surprised to see the numbers for my state. Apart from the mayhem I cause here it seemed such a quiet place. :)

I am avoiding Acapulco though...the preponderance of evidence of its lack of safety is enough for me at the moment.