Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #13861
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,098
Way to go Dragoon! R14 and SMA on your first Mexico ride. Very nice.

Looking forward to some pix and anecdotes.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #13862
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Any of the routes you posted are excellent
calling to Sayulita hotels today, I just found out that next week is the annual sayulita surfing competition... 99% is booked... WTF! lets go anyway.....

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #13863
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Crossed at Laredo today. Long lines getting the TVIP. 3 hours later I left for points south. Rode through the center of Monterrey around 1 PM, and was struck by how smoothly traffic flowed. These were not limited access roads for the most part. Many had roadside businesses and almost no traffic lights. I'm not much of a fan of Mexican highway engineers, but whatever they did here, it works, or did today at least. I think I was struck by the contrast after a week in Austin, where traffic ground to a halt 7 days in a row on I-35. South of Monterrey, the roads became more sinuous, and I took a side trip to the mountain mining town of Galeana, Nuevo Leon. Great motorcycling road, but a little bumpy. Now I'm in Linares for the first time. People are friendly. Asked a cop where to stay with estacionmiento para la moto: Hacienda Real de Linares, just past the plaza on the road in from Galeana. Not totally cheap, (550p), but secure parking. In another hotspot for narco-violence according to the reports. Heading back to SMA via the scenic route. Wish me luck! ;)

By the Pemex in Linares

The 8 degree Inmortal Bar in Linares

Linares

Galeana
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #13864
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
pic of new scoot please.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #13865
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Crossed at Laredo today. Long lines getting the TVIP. 3 hours later I left for points south. Rode through the center of Monterrey around 1 PM, and was struck by how smoothly traffic flowed. These were not limited access roads for the most part. Many had roadside businesses and almost no traffic lights. I'm not much of a fan of Mexican highway engineers, but whatever they did here, it works, or did today at least. I think I was struck by the contrast after a week in Austin, where traffic ground to a halt 7 days in a row on I-35. South of Monterrey, the roads became more sinuous, and I took a side trip to the mountain mining town of Galeana, Nuevo Leon. Great motorcycling road, but a little bumpy. Now I'm in Linares for the first time. People are friendly. Asked a cop where to stay with estacionmiento para la moto: Hacienda Real de Linares, just past the plaza on the road in from Galeana. Not totally cheap, (550p), but secure parking. In another hotspot for narco-violence according to the reports. Heading back to SMA via the scenic route. Wish me luck! ;)
We have an inmate who is one, Rguerra. I was giving him shit about the crappy roads in Mexico when some of us met up for breakfast last year. LINK
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #13866
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post

Galeana
Nice!!
check my ANCON RIDE, there is a nice place to camp near the waterfall

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #13867
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
pic of new scoot please.
I will try to remember to take one manana in a suitably photogenic locale. ;)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #13868
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
We have an inmate who is one, Rguerra. I was giving him shit about the crappy roads in Mexico when some of us met up for breakfast last year. LINK
Oh goodie! Now I have a face and name to focus on when I'm cursing the unknown generic Mexican highway designer. Hah!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #13869
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,678
I am in San Jose, Costa Rica and will head toward the Panama border today. I will probably stop short of the border and cross Sunday.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #13870
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Catemaco

On the road again! Thanks Mike Mike for everything. It was a rough week to, in, and from LA. Numerous of you know about the trials of divorce American style. I felt welcomed home when I got back to Veracruz. Mike Mike is faster than I am on the bike (everyone is ) and at getting pix up here. Took a boat ride on the lake yesterday and got some good shots. Will put some up later. Catemaco is cool and I highly recommend it as a destination.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #13871
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

SMA to Laredo

560 miles in Mexico is about six hours for Miguelito. The guy is a demon and rarely needs to stop to piss. I bought an Arai with a peak a couple of years back because it really helps with the early morning and late afternoon sun. Where it does not help is when you exceed about 60 mph it causes your head to buffet in the wind which in turn causes your (my) eyes to blur. Riding in excess of 70mph with blurred vision is not a lot of fun and doesn't feel real safe. Guess I will just continue to poke along at comfortable speeds for the conditions and my abilities as a rider. Always nice to see one of you guys go flying by with a grin on his face.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #13872
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Algebra

If we can blame the Arabs for alegebra can we blame the colonists, the Colombians, the Cubans or the Ceylonese for calculus? I know it was not created here in Catemaco, too many brujos.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #13873
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Tapatalk

There are many irritating shortcomings to the iPad as my principal internet tool while I am traveling. It's weight and size are the principal advantages. I use a Logitech keyboard with it and it is a mostly satisfactory addition. The arrow keys do not work with many, if not most iPad apps. The designers did not seem to have a keyboard in mind. I am a writer and like to use a keyboard. I have not "upgraded" to Tapatalk because I am allergic to apps designed by nerds to extract money from my pocket when the machine seems to work just fine without them. Kind of like Touratech farkles, no? The search engine, for what it is worth, even the site says the search engine is "sucky", works just fine for the purpose of searching key words on threads. You just have to patiently figure it out. That of course takes away from time spent reading, writing and posting pictures to ride reports not to mention riding. This said as I sit in a lakeside cafe in Catemuco sipping an adult beverage and thinking about smoking a righteous puro. Sucky this.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #13874
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Bike cover.

Bike cover is probably a good thing, just to hide stuff. I did not cover mine last night and someone nicked one of my PIAA stone guards last night. Unfortunately it was the remaining good one. The broken one was in my room for repair. I would not give a shit if the damn things were not the same price as one night at my hotel ($24 and change). Bastids.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #13875
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Hookers and Beer

Funny, I know a few moto babes who would be entirely excited at the idea of hookers and beer. Different web site.