Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #13936
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
I did not mean to divert the thread into riding safety givens, but I think we covered enough aspects of riding in Mexico in with the advice to make the discussion worth having. On a more positive note, I arrived in SMA after 3 days of traveling solo thru extremely rural areas of Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, SLP, three relatively "hot" states for narco-violence. I was not kidnapped, or injured in anyway, and I made at least one new friend. Once again, Mexico has proven herself to be safe for me. ;)
this is what I've been F..#$%% talking about the whole Damn time!!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #13937
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Well, looks like Arte has just about achieved perfection in the English language
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #13938
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
I did not mean to divert the thread into riding safety givens, but I think we covered enough aspects of riding in Mexico in with the advice to make the discussion worth having. On a more positive note, I arrived in SMA after 3 days of traveling solo thru extremely rural areas of Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, SLP, three relatively "hot" states for narco-violence. I was not kidnapped, or injured in anyway, and I made at least one new friend. Once again, Mexico has proven herself to be safe for me. ;)
Would like to see your route thru Tamaulipas...just curious

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #13939
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,304

"Go Full Screen"

Shot this Friday and Saturday at Uncle's Around The Bend, an event sponsored by Trail Boss.

That's Voni Glaves and Paul in front of Kathy's pink bus at the Study Butte gas station. The bus was being towed out of town to its final resting place now that Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe is no more. And, that's Kathy herself, who just happened to stop to get gas. She had no idea the truck hauling her bus out of town would be there. A true serendipity moment to all meet up at one moment in time, centered around that iconic bus.

Most of the on road scenes and stills were shot on Hen Egg and River Road (not the paved 170 River Road, obviously).

Yes, that is the current state of the Rio Grande as it flows through Santa Eleana Canyon.

You can cross into Mexico barely getting your feet wet.

The KLR says bye bye. Finally learned to love sand riding and will be getting the bike for it. Half the weight and twice as powerful. Sorta.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #13940
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,707
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, looks like Arte has just about achieved perfection in the English language
Tequila improves everyone's second language!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #13941
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
Hey WeazyB.!!

let me give my personal input, as I'm from the center of Mexico and had also lived on the border for many years...

Yellow paragraph applys only for center and south regions of México.
Red paragraph applys only for border regions of México.

while "only" means 99.9%...

Saludos... vamonos a Sayulita pasado mañana!!!
Hola, amigo!

Quisiera ir pero, como siempre, hasta las manitas de jale.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #13942
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:

**snippage**

The KLR says bye bye. Finally learned to love sand riding and will be getting the bike for it. Half the weight and twice as powerful. Sorta.

Do tell, do tell. That description seems out of line for a WR250R. Are we talking 690R perhaps?

Oh, wait, the weight is off for the 690R. Are you high or liquored up? Are you typing in your sleep?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #13943
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,707
Close. Very close.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #13944
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 892
Arte has it right. The pull off to the left to turn right move is not common in Sonora. The left blinker deal is. Hermosillo drivers remind me of Boston. They don't signal lane changes often they just feint into your lane. If they don't hear scraping metal or your horn, they assume it is OK to move over
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #13945
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 892
We are hosting a Spanish language class here at our hotel. The students went for walk after the first day of class. While their friends and families are back home convinced that they will be kidnapped, beheaded, robbed and molested, they were being invited into strangers homes for coffee and had school kids offer to help them with their homework.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #13946
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Don't Try This At Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
We are hosting a Spanish language class here at our hotel. The students went for walk after the first day of class. While their friends and families are back home convinced that they will be kidnapped, beheaded, robbed and molested, they were being invited into strangers homes for coffee and had school kids offer to help them with their homework.
Invited into strangers homes!? Offered beverages... call the cops Maude... theys preverts in the nayberhud.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #13947
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Care to share your route? The road to Jalpan looks quite fun, but I'm having trouble coming up with a round trip route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
Would like to see your route thru Tamaulipas...just curious
Coming south from Monterrey, I detoured up into the mountains at Linares on Rt 58 to Galeana where I had a late lunch, but decided to return to Linares. From there south to Ciudad Victoria on the carretera. I rode rt 101 from Victoria to the intersection of rts 85 and I think 87. BTW that first section of 101 is spectacular riding/scenery. From there south to Ciudad del Maiz. Then way out on some secondary roads to Rayon. From Rayon I took the libramiento to Ciudad Valles, (not to be missed!). From there south on 85 to RT 120 through Xilitla/Jalpan. Exited Rt 120 just before Pena Blanca, and followed secondary roads thru Penamiller, Santa Catarina/Tierra Blanca/Los Rodriguez to SMA. It was nice to get the square out of my tires on this particular ride.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #13948
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
And its only taken 14453 posts to come to that conclusion.

Lock this thread down!

Quote:

Congrats Arte!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #13949
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Safety Update

Hi All,

I'm looking to to a Central America dual sport tour next month and I'm trying to get a handle on safety concerns so I can plan my route. This thread is enormous and difficult to dig through, does anyone have or can anyone point me to a recent "Do's and Don'ts" of places to go, roads to take, hostels, camp grounds, must-ride areas, etc?

Also, if anyone is looking to do something similar, I'd love to find a travel buddy. I haven't been able to convince any of my friends to quit their desk jobs as I have.
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #13950
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking to to a Central America dual sport tour next month and I'm trying to get a handle on safety concerns so I can plan my route. This thread is enormous and difficult to dig through, does anyone have or can anyone point me to a recent "Do's and Don'ts" of places to go, roads to take, hostels, camp grounds, must-ride areas, etc?

Also, if anyone is looking to do something similar, I'd love to find a travel buddy. I haven't been able to convince any of my friends to quit their desk jobs as I have.
You really need to get a copy of Sjoerd Bakker's Mexico & Central america hotels books. You don't need to have a computer to read them, they're easily packable, they're not fancy color printed, but they're chock-full of lots of traffic, driving, culture, borders, etc info you'll need traveling around Mexico & CA as well as hotel info. Better than 5-8 tomes from frommer's or loney planet.

Look for his contact info towards the end of this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...207964&page=14

Hurry up and order, so you get it before you leave; he's in Canada, its not far away, but the mail service thinks it is.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote