Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #13951
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
You really need to get a copy of Sjoerd Bakker's Mexico & Central america hotels books. You don't need to have a computer to read them, they're easily packable, they're not fancy color printed, but they're chock-full of lots of traffic, driving, culture, borders, etc info you'll need traveling around Mexico & CA as well as hotel info. Better than 5-8 tomes from frommer's or loney planet.

Look for his contact info towards the end of this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...207964&page=14

Hurry up and order, so you get it before you leave; he's in Canada, its not far away, but the mail service thinks it is.
Thanks! That's brilliant advice, I'll place the order right away.

After poking around the thread a little more, there aren't too many folks who seem to think its overly dangerous to ride in Mexico - so long as you're smart and respectable about it. My Spanish is somewhere between non-existent and spotty, but I see this trip as an opportunity to learn.

I'll continue sorting through this thread, but any up-to-date input folks have would be very appreciated!
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #13952
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,330
KTH, did you read the 2nd post by TricePilot? It has good info, LINK
Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #13953
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
My Spanish is somewhere between non-existent and spotty, but I see this trip as an opportunity to learn.
Spotty, with eloquent arm-waving will get you by just fine...works for me, but then again I'm fluent in arm-waving in 12 languages, so YMMV
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #13954
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I have a few friends that were all fans of Mexico, they go down there a lot..

in 2 years 3 of them got mugged,, all in the same area (Mexico City) all in front of their hotels, all three did hospital time (Knife wounds).. BUT,, when you look at their situation, they all did the same thing. They were out LATE, all 3 20 to 25 yr old female, all three alone. Basically they all did something they would not do at home.. IE there are neighborhoods in any large city that are perfectly safe in the day time and at night they are not.. At least for a solo traveler..

FYI the mode of operation for all 3 muggers,,, drive up bail out of car stab victim grab purse take off.

I have a hunch your average farm town there is similar to your average farm town here, safe with thought and planning..

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #13955
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,234
Kona. Look at recent ride reports for "boots on the ground" current info. Lots of people headed south in the past few months (me included), to MX and points south with all kinds of budgets. Get Sjoerrd's book. Once you get your entry point picked to MX, it'll all start coming together.

I like reading Jdowns "Super Sherpa Minimalist" thread, myself (although I am not a camper or hostel kinda guy).

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #13956
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
I have a few friends that were all fans of Mexico, they go down there a lot..

in 2 years 3 of them got mugged,, all in the same area (Mexico City) all in front of their hotels, all three did hospital time (Knife wounds).. BUT,, when you look at their situation, they all did the same thing. They were out LATE, all 3 20 to 25 yr old female, all three alone.
So you are trying to tell us that 3 separate females were knifed on separate occasions in front of their hotels in Mexico City?

And the MO of the individuals on 3 different occasions was the same, drive up, knife and grab purse and split?

Sounds like bullshit to me. First, why would they knife the victim when they have the purse? That makes no sense.
Violent crimes against foreign women in Mexico usually result in an arrest within days, whether they have the right criminal or not,
they make an arrest and publicize it immediately and endlessly here. Muggings happen, no doubt, pickpocketing is rampant on the metro so you
learn to be aware, but 3 serious attacks on foreign women in front of hotels in Mexico City?

Very odd that I don't remember hearing anything about any of those incidents at all in the news here. And believe me, it would have been big news.
Especially the subsequent arrests that happen.

As for Kona's situation, try focusing on how many ADV riders have had problems in Mexico in the past 12 years or so. You will find that you need to spend less time worrying about security and more time worrying about time and money to keep you enjoying your riding here. Once you realize the sheer amount of bullshit that is emitted from poorly informed individuals that have never been to Mexico, never turned a wheel here, and the hype from media outlets that know any negative story about Mexico will "sell" with their audiences, you are going to really enjoy yourself.

As for the 3 women require hospitalization for knife wounds on three separate occasions in Mexico City, I would like some dates and details. Foreigners getting injured or involved in incidents here that would require hospitalization would be news.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #13957
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
I guess what makes some of us different from each other is that we ride to Mexico to see Mexico, as opposed to riding to Mexico to ride.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #13958
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking to to a Central America dual sport tour next month and I'm trying to get a handle on safety concerns so I can plan my route. This thread is enormous and difficult to dig through, does anyone have or can anyone point me to a recent "Do's and Don'ts" of places to go, roads to take, hostels, camp grounds, must-ride areas, etc?

Also, if anyone is looking to do something similar, I'd love to find a travel buddy. I haven't been able to convince any of my friends to quit their desk jobs as I have.
I always suggest the curvy roads on the maps, and they can be found anywhere in Mexico. Use good judgement, and don't stay out until the wee hours. If you get to San Miguel de Allende, our local riders group meets on Wednesdays at 5 PM at the Longhorn Smoke house on Salida de Celaya. Join us if you can. There will usually be plans for local or 1-2 day rides being hatched there.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #13959
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I guess what makes some of us different from each other is that we ride to Mexico to see Mexico, as opposed to riding to Mexico to ride.
And, as I see it, both types should be valued and respected on this thread. Or equally pissed on. ;)

As usual, I'm a bit of a hybrid. I ride to Mexico to ride the sweet roads but what I find in Mexico sure adds to the fun. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 04:38 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #13960
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,321

Uh Oh, I went and did it

Bajajajajajajajajajajajaja
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #13961
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
And, as I see it, both types should be valued and respected on this thread. Or equally pissed on. ;)

As usual, I'm a bit of a hybrid. I ride to Mexico to ride the sweet roads but what I find in Mexico sure adds to the fun. ;)
I try to see Mexico during the straights.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #13962
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,321
And Schizzman arrived to watch me do it

Bajajajajajajajajajajajaja

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #13963
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998