SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I cant figure out how to embed it?

Whatchu talkin' about Willis?

Yes! What it Tricepilot taklin' bout?

I figured out how to embed. The trick is to go to Editor Mode. The little A/A in the upper right had corner of the box.

SR screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 07:58 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #13967
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I guess what makes some of us different from each other is that we ride to Mexico to see Mexico, as opposed to riding to Mexico to ride.
Nothing wrong with "both/and".

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #13968
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
I try to see Mexico during the straights.
Must be why you speed up in the turns and slow down in the straights.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #13969
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
I have a few friends that were all fans of Mexico, they go down there a lot..

in 2 years 3 of them got mugged,, all in the same area (Mexico City) all in front of their hotels, all three did hospital time (Knife wounds)..
This kind of post needs a bit more info if it's gonna get traction around here.

Where were they staying? La Zona Rosa?

Where were these incidents reported? And when?

This MO is unheard of among the Mexico travelers I know. Me included.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #13970
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking to to a Central America dual sport tour next month and I'm trying to get a handle on safety concerns so I can plan my route. This thread is enormous and difficult to dig through, does anyone have or can anyone point me to a recent "Do's and Don'ts" of places to go, roads to take, hostels, camp grounds, must-ride areas, etc?

Also, if anyone is looking to do something similar, I'd love to find a travel buddy. I haven't been able to convince any of my friends to quit their desk jobs as I have.
I consider being able to keep your bike running well as more important than language acquisition. Even better to learn both. Road and traffic conditions are your principle safety concerns if you use general good judgement. Get a good translater tool, anyway. For iPhone look into Jibbigo.

Pack as light as you possibly can. The more I ride down there the less I carry.

Purchase critical items like specific bike parts and meds and leave with someone who can ship them to you via DHL or like carrier. You can get an idea from RR's what parts are difficult to source down there for your bike.

Figure out your tire needs and sources before the trip. Change out major wear parts like chain, sprockets, cables, brake pads, etc., before the trip and carry some extras with you.

Read a lot of Ride Reports to gather wisdom like drop wallets and police stops. jdowns and rtwPaul have great RR's right now. Also Crashmaster and Misery Goat for past RR's.

Figure out your bike, medical and evac insurance. Get a SPOT tracker so your contacts (and we here ) can track you in real time. Have 1-2 emergency contact people back home and carry contact and insurance info on your person. If you're not married consider someone for medical power of attorney. It's not likely you'll need that but it can happen with just a hard concussion.

One of the most practical things I've seen riders do on a long trip like you're planning is start a trip planning thread to collect information then follow it with a Ride Report (in real time) so you can interact with the Adv community along the way. jdowns RR is a great example of how the members of this community can significantly enhance your travel experience. Have a pretty good idea what kind of trip you want to do before starting a planning thread. You'll get better input that way.

Consider turning of the TV news and not turning it back on till after the trip.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can Google search Advrider by entering "site:advrider.com topic" for better results. For example, "site:advrider oaxaca city hostels".

SchizzMan screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 10:31 PM
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #13971
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Posts back saw recommendation for hotel in Monclova allow me do the same when I go there and dont want to deal with mom I stay at
Hotel Olimpia a cross from the main plaza in front of the cathedral 520.00 pesos not bad for a double room with secure parking owned by cousin Gaby Garza

Off course always end up at her table

Bato screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 10:56 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #13972
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bato View Post
posts back saw recommendation for hotel in monclova allow me do the same
hotel olimpia a cross from the main plaza in front of the cathedral 520.00 pesos for a double room with secure owned by cousin gaby garza
with room service breakfast at your bed mucho bueno
http://remtz.smugmug.com/other/yusa/...imgp0137-m.jpg
http://remtz.smugmug.com/other/yusa/...ta%20008-m.jpg
http://remtz.smugmug.com/other/yusa/...ia%20001-m.jpg
+1

Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #13973
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Hey WeazyB.!!

let me give my personal input....

vamonos a Sayulita pasado mañana!!!
Let's Roll!
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #13974
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I literally ached with envy as Trice closed the deal.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #13975
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Whatchu talkin' about Willis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
You finally bought a Bajaj. ?
..jajajaja
What size ? The 150 cc or the trike taxi? 😁
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #13976
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #13977
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

500 EXC

Schizzman on the scene at TJ's, stopping by to study the orange coolness:

Thanks for the birthday dinner Schizz!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #13978
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

A ride report on Baja not to be missed by rnrdozer:

Riding Little Pigs in Baja

I basically copied a lot of the list of his KTM 500 EXC mods that are right there on page one of his ride report, then even more mods he didn't put in his ride report but what he sent me via a PM.

I went to TJ's today armed and ready to get exactly what I wanted.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #13979
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Shhhhhhhhhh, you're scaring the sand.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #13980
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Riding In Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I guess what makes some of us different from each other is that we ride to Mexico to see Mexico, as opposed to riding to Mexico to ride.
I am definitely more in Pedro's camp. I am a traveler and adventurer who is using a motorcycle as his vehicle. I enjoy riding my bike but get frequent reminders that I am not that good at it. I enjoy "touring" on my bike both on and off road. At going on 68 a nice curvy road is a thrill but my "ear holing" days are long past..

Somewhere in my trip planning I missed Sjoerd's book. It would have been of great use. Rough Guide is good but geared to pedestrian travelers. From what I can tell Sjoerd is a mototcyclist's motorcyclist. If you are just going to ride main highways the AAA map is a pretty good tool. I would also get the Guia Roji Atlas. Evidently it has some errors but it has been useful to me. I have a Garmin 650t that I currently would love to shove up Garmin's Corporate arse. Fortunately I have never relied on it other than as a reference.

Two different riding coaches have stressed to me the importance of doing some training for an adventure ride. It is a damn good idea. Mexico will also challenge your riding skills. When you fall there will instantly be eager hands to pick you up. I learned that again this afternoon when I did a bone head move and suffered the consequences.

You will see over and over here: don't ride at night. I will add to that don't ride tired, don't ride preoccupied (topes will eat you if you go wool gathering), don't ride intoxicated. Do ride with a smile for everyone you meet...even the f'ing Transito cops...crooked bastards that they can be. Mexico and her people are as concerned about security as we are. Even more so because they have to live with this shit everyday. We are just passing through. The security presence here does sometimes remind me of Saigon 1970. The govt. here is allocating huge resources to their security presence. How well that is allocated is a subject for a different venue than this one. I personally question the value of cops ridin two up on CanAms. Expensive high maintenance machines. Yankee $$ ??

The Real Jurel, practically next to the Bus Station in San Cristobal de Las Casas at 250 pesos is a screaming deal...quiet, very clean, secure parking.

The "sucky search engine" on this thread works pretty well if you take a little time to figure out what you are looking for. There are also the trip planning and hotel threads.

Tomorrow I will be able to report to you on the hospital here and the availability of orthopedic care.