User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #13981
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Schizz' Travel Advice Post

+1 on that JD... There are things there I wish I had thought of pre-trip... Packing lighter being one of them! Ultimately you just have to go and be present once you get there.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #13982
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

500 EXC

Schizzman on the scene at TJ's, stopping by to study the orange coolness:

Thanks for the birthday dinner Schizz!
OMG
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #13983
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I literally ached with envy as Trice closed the deal.
+1 but can he reach the ground?

Bato screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 06:34 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #13984
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Bato,
I'm so glad to have another hotel option in Monclova as I've been staying at the pinche Fiesta Inn for $100/night. This hotel looks much better. Thanks.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #13985
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
+1 but can he reach the ground?
Says our own "Spud Webb", who even has a lowered seat on his commode
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #13986
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Esta Perrona! Vey nice congrads!
SR - thanks for sending about 4 boxes of moto accessories from Motorcycle Superstore!

I can't believe all these gifts! The tires won't fit the KTM, but I can swap them.

What a guy!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #13987
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The Conversation Now Goes Like This

Me:

Bato - our planned GS/all pavement ride down Baja has been officially cancelled. Since the arrival of the KTM, my Baja plans are now changed to be an almost totally off-road event a la rnrdozer's ride report. But you can take your GS if you want.

Bato:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
OMG
Practice the laugh: Bajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #13988
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Ahorita tengo la moto, pero los cojones, no
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #13989
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Ahorita tengo la moto, pero los cojones, no
lol. Maybe Motorcycle Superstore has those? Get me a set, too.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #13990
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

trice. Congratulations! That looks like monster badassbike. I am gonna be very interested in seeing how you and the 500 get along. I find myself looking for a more dirt-worthy scoot but living where we live I don't want to limit myself to trailering or the bed of the pickup. A conundrum for sure.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #13991
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
trice. Congratulations! That looks like monster badassbike. I am gonna be very interested in seeing how you and the 500 get along. I find myself looking for a more dirt-worthy scoot but living where we live I don't want to limit myself to trailering or the bed of the pickup. A conundrum for sure.
Here we have the classic, and very true, conundrum that one bike can't do all things well.

I did ride the KLR 650 from San Antonio to Galeana, and from there, proceed on all sorts of adventures off-road, from the top of Cerro Potosi, to the seeming jungle of the Unknown Ride and its 30-odd water crossings.

This past weekend in Big Bend, I did ride a DR650, which, with it on one end of the see-saw of dirt capability and a KLR on the other, gets the tilt in its favor as a better oriented dirt machine. Getting back on my KLR, it felt like a bus. Still, the DR650 is, IMHO, too heavy for what I want to do.

As mentioned, on River Road in Big Bend on Saturday, I finally did go Surfing With The Alien (reference Joe Satriani). Meaning, I took the coaching I received to heart and launched head first on pegs and with throttle and got pretty comfortable on the KLR in the deep sand stuff, always my nemesis before that day. But the KLR still felt heavy, and was work to throw around, and underpowered.

I was looking to take the GSA to Baja for a recon, but in studying the options, I knew that that machine and my capabilities meant that I would be hamstrung for what I perceive Baja to be really all about. And what do I know about it other than sticking mostly to roads on a loaded GSA isn't the essence of Baja.

In doing what I call "due diligence", I came across a number of mostly dirt oriented bikes that I would want to load as lightly as possible, and go explore and play in any terrain that comes along. Here we back into the conundrum again - those types of bikes are not exactly muy comodo on the highway. That's ok - I'm willing to check my ego at the door and pickup-truck that bike to the border, and ride from there. I-10 West from San Antonio to San Diego, and then cross at Tecate. A 5.3 gallon Acerbis on that 500, a tiny tent, and some other doo-dads, and I think I could find some more good adventure. A relatively light and powerful dirt bike like the KTM 500 may suck on the highway, but could vie to be king of the sand.

I've just signed up for Richard's Texas Adventure Ride out of Junction, a ride I've done before on the KLR. This will be the break-in ride for the KTM, to validate the farkles I picked (mostly from talking to rnrdozer). This is the middle of April. The bike's next event will be Baja.

Funny thing is, when I told Tricewife I was going up to Austin to buy this bike yeaterday, she didn't bat an eye or question why. She was curious as to what was different between the KLR and the KTM. I didn't mention price, I mentioned what I wrote above. Her response was that she thought the KTM was a good idea. What a woman
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #13992
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I guess what makes some of us different from each other is that we ride to Mexico to see Mexico, as opposed to riding to Mexico to ride.

Eggzackly. On our most recent trip south, we had several stops where the bike wasn't even started for days. 2 nights in Xilitla, 3 nights in Tula de Allende, 4 nights in San Cris, 2 nights in Palenque, 8 nights in Zipolite , 3 nights in Taxco, 4 nights in SMdA, 4 nights in GTO. I like to spend some time seeing the towns I visit. For me, on my trips to Mexico, the bike is just a means to get there. The great roads are just a bonus.
kennyanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #13993
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
Eggzackly. On our most recent trip south, we had several stops where the bike wasn't even started for days. 2 nights in Xilitla, 3 nights in Tula de Allende, 4 nights in San Cris, 2 nights in Palenque, 8 nights in Zipolite , 3 nights in Taxco, 4 nights in SMdA, 4 nights in GTO. I like to spend some time seeing the towns I visit. For me, on my trips to Mexico, the bike is just a means to get there. The great roads are just a bonus.
And that kinda trip appeals to some and more power to them! Do what sets your brain on fire. ;)

But I may very well be closer to the opposite end of that spectrum. No matter where I ride, here or there, I'd rather be on the bike than on foot exploring the sights. I just love everything about riding a motorcycle on a great road. I would and do choose it over any other experience. Well. Almost any. Two hours looking at a sculpture garden? Whitewater rafting? Those are not even a close call for me. I will pick two more hours on the bike, railing around corners or banging along a dirt road, every time.

I. Just. Love. It. Have since I was 9.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #13994
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,556
Congrats on the bike, Trice! It's a sweet one.

...and happy belated birthday

Looking forward to ride impressions and more pics.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #13995
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Congrats on the bike, Trice! It's a sweet one.

...and happy belated birthday

Looking forward to ride impressions and more pics.

Ditto Bob. And how many bikes are in your garage now? And weren't you the one giving me a hard time for buying my 3rd bike within the past year?
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote