User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #14011
andyc740
Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer: 44
TVIP Question

Howdy, all. Decided to stop lurking and emerge from the bushes a bit. I've done quite a few trips to Mexico over the last 5 or 6 years (latest RR is at http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82764) and it left me with a couple questions.

We were stopped for speeding by the Federales on the Autopista between Reynosa and Monterrey. They were obviously fishing for a payoff, but let us go when we weren't very quick about cooperating? Is this behavior starting to show up again? I haven't been hassled in a long time. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

When my wife filled out the paperwork for her tourist permit, the immigration fellow wanted an address for the hotel where we'd be staying. We usually just fill in city and state. We didn't have a hotel lined up, so he had to do without. Are you guys starting to get asked that at the border, too? Seems rather pointless, especially if the permit is for 180 days and will cover several trips.

Finally, we were visiting friends in Santiago and they took us up to their cabin in the mountains beyond Cola de Caballo, specifically near Laguna de Sanchez. The 25 miles or so of road was just spectacular. The map shows the road going all the way through to Arteaga, near Saltillo. Have any of you guys ridden that road? How long is it? It looks like it's about 100 miles across there. Is it all paved? Mostly?
andyc740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #14012
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
zocalo

Hobble on down to the Zocalo. On the west side are a few higher-end restaurants. Across the street from El Argentino I found a very good, reasonably priced resturant, lots of glass fronting the street but inside they had a good sized atrium and lots of plants. Great directions, I know, but the pedestrian only streets make for a great stroll whatever you dine - good for a sore knee, just add tequila. One of my favorite colonial towns. Enjoy the respite. Stopped there on the way north from Tikal a few years ago after peeling off from a week in Guat with Crashmaster.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #14013
patched
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
hwy 40 libre

sorry sr i took the bypass around durango before i new it i was past it i took 40 libre all the way to valle union stay at hotel pino the next day took 40 couta about 35 miles north then i t was under construction and i took 40 libre to km marker 200 and took the service road to the bridge but the guard would not let me thru well i tried in sayulita now in a campground across from chille wille's i will ask you about my route north when i have my map with me
patched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #14014
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
Oyster,
Mexican medicos are not enamored of using ice on sprains and other injuries and some will tell you it is dangerous. Ice is the best. Takes down swelling and inflammation and numbs any pain to a degree.

I got my jefe de obras to try it on his sore arm. He argued with me for quite a while but he tried it and he is now spreading the word.

Hope you are back and riding soon.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #14015
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Mexicans have this bizarre fear of ice and also of wind. They think both will make you sick. When it's windy out, women wont let small kids out of the house.

I have argued about this with well educated seemingly reasonable Mexicans and they claim that is medical fact? Is there a doctor out there?
Common sense is an uncommon commodity.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #14016
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Colds are caused by the rhinovirus. For injuries most Mexican doctors will prescribe anti-inflammatories at the drop of a hat. I am surprised they dont do it for pregnancies!
Hopefully, for the Rocky Oyster, Oaxaca will put things right and restore order in the current chaos. Oaxaca has a unique way of doing that.

I have people tell me that, because I am Canadian, the cold doesnt give me a cold, but I shouldnt put ice in my drinks because that can cause a cold. Go figure.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #14017
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Ice

"Mexican medicos are not enamored of using ice on sprains and other injuries and some will tell you it is dangerous. Ice is the best. Takes down swelling and inflammation and numbs any pain to a degree." Turkey Creek

That is interesting because both the enfermera and the medico y medica told me not to ice it.

For further entertainment read the first paragraph of Gabriel Garcia Marquez' "Hundred Years of Solitude" In the tropics before refrigeration ice was a thing of mystery and magic with many unknown properties.

It is cold here in San Cris. The "norte" from earlier in the week has not let go yet.

Quite an interesting collection of "of alternative types" here and most of them not gringos or euro trash. The indigenous people are very interesting and their dialect of Spanish, I am not talking about their native language, I am talking about their Spanish, is very interesting. I actually have an easier time understanding them because they pronounce the words more precisely, like Spanish wasn't their first language either.

Thanks for tips ztrab. The very nice hotel that fronts the zocalo on the south side is around $1650 pesos/night. There is also a Best Western, yikes. Fortunately cabs are plentiful and not too expensive. It is always 30 pesos wherever you go!

I am going to go up towards the zocalo and look for some bulletin boards with massage therapists advertised. I need to get some good circulation going in the knee and that is, of course, what ice does.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #14018
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
That is funny. Mexicans have this bizarre fear of ice and also of wind. They think both will make you sick. When it's windy, women wont let small kids out of the house.

I have argued about this with well educated seemingly reasonable Mexicans and they claim it's medical fact? Is there a doctor out there?
Women here cover their faces and those of their kids with scarves when it gets down to 50 degrees F. They know the cold air will damage their lungs. I'll be out sweeping my sidewalk or BSing with the neighbors descalzo - barefoot -and in a tee shirt in the cold and the locals freak
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #14019
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
For injuries most Mexican doctors will prescribe anti-inflammatories at the drop of a hat. I am surprised they dont do it for pregnancies!
No matter what the problem is you just need "Un Inyección" to make you feel better!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #14020
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
SR that is funny!!!!

Quote:
No matter what the problem is you just need "Un Inyección" to make you feel better!
I don't know if you need to live here to understand.....but that is funny
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #14021
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Borderland Beat

This site has some pretty good info on what the Mexican and media won't cover:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

Beware, there are a lot of links to videos of folks being tortured and grisley beheadings and what not.

English and Spanish.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #14022
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
This site has some pretty good info on what the Mexican and media won't cover:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

Beware, there are a lot of links to videos of folks being tortured and grisley beheadings and what not.

English and Spanish.
And the chorus of derision begins in 3...2...1

We don't like that site much around here. Sensationalist rubbish.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #14023
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #14024
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396

Edit: enter site:advrider.com borderland beat into Google

I stopped counting the times Borderland Beat has been brought up, discussed, praised, dissed, and/or referenced in the IMS
thread.

Highly suggest anyone who is tempted to repeat the hashing that site has already been given here do the same. It'll save you a lot of time and angst.

tricepilot screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 07:57 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #14025
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post

And of course, if the Navy are not engaging the narcos then there aren't incidents to report. ... ...
FB
We were stopped and searched by the marines yesterday in the Colima/Jalisco border area. All luggage, pockets, jackets, were opened and inspected. The one working GPS was taken and scrutinized for all tracks and waypoints etc. First time either of us had ever been searched beyond the border.

There have been a lot of problems in this area recently. My riding buddy asked the marine about this and he replied that they had been some 'problems' but 'we killed them all last week' so now it is safe.
So as far as I know, the Navy is still engaged, semper fi.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote