Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #14071
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Definitely relevant.

Don't run from people with guns wanting you to stop.
Most especially the militaire
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #14072
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,097
As far as real world examples related to moto travelers, the El Fuerte incident comes to mind.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #14073
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,937
It's likely that if they had stopped and not accelerated the second time, things might have been different, who knows. It's pretty tough to miss an obligatory stop as there are usually one or two military guys with flags or at least stationed out front to signal a slow down. Most inspections are a quick visual then you'll be signaled to pull over and stop if they want to search you.
This is the one you better pay attention to. Generally, they will step in front and signal you in, or they will wave you on. I've always stopped if I am not sure or feel I am getting mixed signals.
Like I said in an earlier post, the "mission creep" fatigue is setting in with these guys here, locally.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #14074
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Big Pharma Cool Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Old Mexican Dicho:

When a poor man is sick he goes to a Curandero, and when he's desperate he goes to Doctor. When a rich man is sick he goes to Doctor, and when he's desperate he goes to a Curandero!
When my, then wife, was a young doctor practicing on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico the Navajo would come to the clinic first because it was free. Hiring a "singer", a native healer, is very expensive and only done when the belagana medicine is not strong enough for the problem.

As I previously stated: Allopathic medicine has its place but we should not dismiss traditional methods out of hand. We spend trilllons of dollars trying to make sick people well when it would cost far less to keep well people well, too often medicine can make well people sick too. It is a corrupt system that is not based on well being.

Sorry to see that so many of you have bought into the corporate medical line and drunk the cool aid of big pharma. Did you ever even wonder why there are so many television commercials for prescription meds? There is something seriously wrong when getting sick can bankrupt you and cause you to lose everything.

Citing Steve Jobs' case is not such a good argument but I will not get into that here. It ain't about Mexico or Safety.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #14075
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Military Check Points

There is one of those on the 199, I think after the Cascadas Agua Azul turn off. It is around a construction zone and it comes up on you very fast... I nearly blew through it but came to a very quick halt after the single soldier manned kiosk. They did not motion me to turn around. Maybe they all already knew that I could not successfully execute a U-turn and would fall down later trying to do so. Given the wisdom that has been imparted here I am damn lucky that I did not get shot at! The firing bullets into the air thing is such a bad idea. Every year on New Years someone in one of the latino neighborhoods gets hurt by a falling bullet. What goes up must come down and they come down really hard.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #14076
patched
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
yelapa

fiirst i agree with mike mike i never know what there are saying so i hesitate until there motion to get going by the way the road google earth shows going all the way to yelapa stops about a half mile short i could of made it down but i would have needed my 14 tooth countershaft sprocket to make it back up and heavily loaded im not even sure if i would make it so i took what i needed to camp and hid my bike in the jungle hope its there in the mourning my goal is to be in san patricio on st patricks day since my mane is patrick and im irish all is good i just discovered riseeah not sure of the spelling but at this point it doesnt matter
patched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #14077
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Two men armed with a machine gun and a handgun opened fire in a bar on the outskirts of Cancun on Thursday, killing at least six people and wounding five, the office of the state's attorney general said.

Cancun, a major tourist destination on Mexico's Caribbean coast, has largely escaped the drug-related violence that has racked Acapulco, a faded tourist hot spot on the Pacific coast.

Last month, six Spanish women were raped by hooded gunmen who forced their way into the apartment they were renting.

So far no motorcycle enthusiasts have been bothered.

From foxnews.com

...Quintana Roo state Attorney General Gaspar Garcia says the gunmen who burst into "The Little Mermaid" bar specifically targeted union members meeting there Thursday. He says the union's deputy secretary for conflict resolutions was among those killed.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #14078
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #14079
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
As far as real world examples related to moto travelers, the El Fuerte incident comes to mind.
As I have related before, the el Fuerte Incident was caused by the riders not listening to current on he ground intelligence about bad guys in the areas from hunting guides in Alamos and their driving around looking lost and vulnerable
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #14080
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908

'm only missing two screws so far

Bato screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 10:26 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #14081
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato;
I'm only missing two screws so far
And what about the bike?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #14082
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
As I have related before, the el Fuerte Incident was caused by the riders not listening to current on he ground intelligence about bad guys in the areas from hunting guides in Alamos and their driving around looking lost and vulnerable
Let's not overlook the fact that several riders ran instead of stopping and dropping their drop wallets. I can understand the woman rider struggling and fleeing and I'm not criticizing any of them on that particular point. But the incident instructs me not to run.

Carry a drop wallet, guys, and keep it handy while riding.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #14083
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
El Fuerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I've only read one account by participant in this event (a Canadian IIRC). Are there others?

I've been to El Fuerte a number of times and have ridden from Alamos to El Fuerte on several different unpaved routes. So far I've not had problems, but in retrospect there was one situation around Buyobampo that had potential.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #14084
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by patched View Post
fiirst i agree with mike mike i never know what there are saying so i hesitate until there motion to get going by the way the road google earth shows going all the way to yelapa stops about a half mile short i could of made it down but i would have needed my 14 tooth countershaft sprocket to make it back up and heavily loaded im not even sure if i would make it so i took what i needed to camp and hid my bike in the jungle hope its there in the mourning my goal is to be in san patricio on st patricks day since my mane is patrick and im irish all is good i just discovered riseeah not sure of the spelling but at this point it doesnt matter
Please try using periods and commas. It would help us to understand what you are trying to tell us.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #14085
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Please try using periods and commas. It would help us to understand what you are trying to tell us.
I see you haven't been in law enforcement and been around a lot of meth users