Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #14371
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
... I would turn south and ride down toward Aramberri and then jog over to Matehuala. Last time we stayed there it was quite enjoyable. We stayed in a nice small hotel a couple blocks off the plaza. (not the 5 story modern looking place)
Got it. You mean turn right at Doctor Arroyo. Looks like an interesting route. Just checked it on my Roji. Great tip! Thanks!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #14372
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Funny thing that Mexican nationals who live in US can be some of the most paranoid people about traveling Mexico. I think part of it is the classism that is so prevalent in Mexico. Mexicans can be rather unkind to each other and it is hard to understand sometimes. But almost without fail they are very gracious to traveling gringos, especially ones on motos. I cannot recount all the times Mexicans in the US have gone overboard exaggerating the risks of moto-tourism down there, most of whom have not traveled very extensively in their homeland. Go figure.
I was going to say the same thing. I have a Mexican friend (now a long time Us citizens who will no longer return home. He's TSA management and says as a DHS employee he's not allowed. He used to travel to DF and Cuernavaca and there are no travel restrictions for government employees here.

He tried very hard to convince me not to move here.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #14373
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
It's official

I am running the full length of Baja off-road in September from Tecate to Cabo on the KTM 500 with a veteran who has won both the Baja 1000 and 500 multiple times.

I will suck, but I'll give it my best effort
You can doo it! amigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Hey guys,

Please check my map route to Mex57. I usually catch Mex57 out of Saltillo or out of Monterrey and then head south from there, but this time I want to bypass Saltillo and Monterrey. This is a new route for me and it looks like an easy 300 miles to Matehuala from Reynosa, plus it seems to cut down on my mileage though I like taking the high desert plain route. New roads for me here would be MEX35 and the new MEX31 which looks like it replaces the old MEX58.

The route on the map is Reynosa-MEX40D-MEX35-Montemorelos-MEX85-Linares-MEX31(old 58)-MEX57-Matehuala.

If you have been on these routes lately please comment and advise, plus if you have lodged in Matehuala lately, what's the skinny there? Or any other place to lodge if I can't make it to SLP by dark. Yes, I have Sjoerd's book.

Thanks,

Mike

Where are you going Mike?

Quote:
Funny thing that Mexican nationals who live in US can be some of the most paranoid people about traveling Mexico. I think part of it is the classism that is so prevalent in Mexico. Mexicans can be rather unkind to each other and it is hard to understand sometimes. But almost without fail they are very gracious to traveling gringos, especially ones on motos. I cannot recount all the times Mexicans in the US have gone overboard exaggerating the risks of moto-tourism down there, most of whom have not traveled very extensively in their homeland. Go figure.
You'r right on that Jimmex not that it doesn't happen between gringos in the states but you r are right

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #14374
Oneyedjack
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
Last time I crossed you could not turn in aTVIP in Tecate. Has this changed in the last year?
I turned mine in at Mexicali, then rode hwy 3 over to Tecate and crossed back into the US there.
Crossed at Tecate a month ago. Turned in TVIP but it wasn't easy. You have to ride up to the crossing from US to Mexico and do it there before you ride around to the Mexico to US crossing. Very little wait to cross though.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #14375
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Next time we can go specifically to do the ride I've not been able to complete. Ride from Concha to Mazapil keep riding to get to Pico de Teyra, keep going along the state divisory line and get to Juan Aldama and from there ride to Sierra de Organos to camp overnight, next day visit my born place: Sombrerete and start the Archeological sites ride to end up in Zac.
Let's doo it Arte the XT600 is ready for that ride and already got a tent ...

Anyway it was fun to roam today in Coyoacan taxi driver said that traffic at DF is at 20% a destination that normally takes an hour only takes 15min I'm starting to liKe it here wish it would alwys be like now ., here some shots

Coyoacan

LA CONDESA

Notice in the background LA CASA DURANGO every state of Mexico has a casa at DF
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #14376
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I was going to say the same thing. I have a Mexican friend (now a long time Us citizens who will no longer return home. He's TSA management and says as a DHS employee he's not allowed. He used to travel to DF and Cuernavaca and there are no travel restrictions for government employees here.

He tried very hard to convince me not to move here.
And I was going to say the same thing, (you beat me to it) I have 3 Mexican friends / coworkers.. now US citizens and they can't believe I return to Mexico so often, death wish they say... how I return to work alive they can't figure out...
Oh well...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #14377
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,047
Quote:
Mexico has a caste system that is no unlike the caste system in India.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #14378
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,047
Quote:
Mexico has a caste system that is not unlike the caste system in India.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #14379
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Mexico has a caste system that is not unlike the caste system in India.
I think that is a bit of an overstatement. The class system is breaking down a bit here in Banámichi. With the mine pumping the economy, people are starting to get it. It is still a major hurdle for Mexico to overcome.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #14380
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Got it. You mean turn right at Doctor Arroyo. Looks like an interesting route. Just checked it on my Roji. Great tip! Thanks!
Did the route to Dr. Arroyo last July with dwj-Donnie. Much preferred over 57. A nice route to slow down and enjoy.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #14381
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Too cool!!

(And I didn't know schizz had placed that well.)
Yeah, right! People are constantly confusing me with Tim Morton.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #14382
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Yeah, right! People are constantly confusing me with Tim Morton.

You own a donut shop?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #14383
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I agree on the skills test, but leave Pizza Hut alone!

Now, don't get me wrong, I like the dividends my YUM brands stock pays me -so please go buy another pizza - but seeing them in Mexico is just not right. YUM also operates Taco Bell. If you see a Taco Bell in Mexico, mark that spot as the very pit of hell from which the four horsemen of the apocalypse will emerge. "And behold, a horseman on a brown horse, and his name is Explosive Diarrhea..."
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #14384
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Puebla/Veracruz?

Quote:
An opportunity not to be missed.

What area of the Puebla/Veracruz border are you talking about. We were not going to be in that area except on the return north to Texas...but I'd listen to reason. I have been to Veracruz and I did ride through Orizaba and Cordoba but it was raining and very misty. I could not see much but it was very green and more like a jungle as I remember. I remember thinking...this kind of reminds me of Jurassic Park because of the high mountains, greenery and the mist/fog. Does anyone have a ride report available from around that area?
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #14385
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
...Where are you going Mike?
For right now just riding south. I haven't nailed down anything specific yet. There's a taurino school near SLP that teaches at the tienta level, so I may do that. I may also recon El Sotano de las Golodrinas to see if I really want to jump into it after I get some refresher training.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote