Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #14401
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Once they find out!

Stairway to heaven

Gateway to the Prime stuff

Rattling through the 1st three gears for many hours.....yum.

Thanks again man.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #14402
Hektoglider
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
As you know, you can find it all in Mexico.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #14403
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Hekto, nice pics! I just got back from a run through the lane changing route and over into the semi-desert in San Salvador El Seco. Mas seco than 5 day old TimBits!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #14404
Hektoglider
One with Life

Yea we only had a small sampling of what's there. Now we need to come back someday for more. I may never need to ride the big highway there with the heavy truck traffic.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #14405
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
food stop on 175

If you are on the road between Zipolite and Oaxaca, you have to try this place - fresh trout straight from the water and to your plate! The price is amazing too - 135 pesos for 2 people, drinks included!
Mark these coordinates in your GPS: 16°4'46" N 96°28'26" W (it's a few km downhill from San Miguel Suchixtepec).
Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #14406
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Hey guys a few questions if I could. I'm planning on heading south for a few months in September. Plan on spending Christmas in Tulum and touring the Yucatan. Ideally I'd like to take a month or so getting down. I figured Baja to La Paz and then the ferry over to the mainland. I've travelled to every US state Canada and Alaska but this would be my first foray into Mexico on two wheels.

My questions

1) I understand leaving wrist watches and jewelry at home but is it wise to ride the 12GS or should I pick up a Honda or something? I'm not going to ride an XR so I would be getting an ST or Goldwing or some sort of touring rig not necessarily a Honda; just wondering if the BMW is a beacon for robbery? Ideally I would prefer to ride my GS.

2) I've been to Tulum and the Mayan Riviera and I know those areas are safe. My Camera. Is that something that will also draw attention in some of the towns along the way?

3) I normally take a rambling approach to cruising. I never plan a route I usually just head in a general direction. It's not unusual for me to make no more than 150 miles a day towards my final destination after taking all the sight seeing detours. Can I ride alone anywhere I like safely as I do in the states without to much worry of robbery. I guess what I'm asking is will I be limited to the major highways or can I take the secondary roads to smaller towns which I prefer. There-in lies my camera question too. Is it safe to take pictures with a SLR type camera in the smaller towns?

4) How much can I expect to pay for a hotel room per night and do Americans get charged more than Mexicans? If so is it possible to negotiate the nightly rate. Is that insulting in Mexico?

5) Sorry for this question but I just read about 200 pages of very boring "border crossing" post trying to get an overall feel for the safety of things. To no avail. It gives the impression everyone in this thread just goes back and forth to different border crossings and then runs here to post about it lol. BTW this thread has enough border crossing post. Extremely boring reading about whether you'll get taxed for your computer or whether this crossing is better than that crossing or "I spent four hours at this crossing but five minutes at that crossing only to find Mexican Costco was a complete mess" LOL.

5.1) Anyway my question. What is the state of things today in southern rural Mexico. Pretty safe if you keep your nose clean.

5.2) Trouble will find you easily

5.3) Not a good time to travel or things are okay?

5.4) What are some things I should never do that I might not be aware of?

Thanks guys

I read the first page which said post recent questions at end of thread; so I did. I have tried to read as much of the thread as possible before posting the questions I have here. Thanks for any help.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 AM   #14407
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
.....just wondering if the BMW is a beacon for robbery?
Without a doubt, and further compounded by your Rallye 2 Pro jacket, SIDI Adventure Goretex boots, all topped off by your sly smile
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #14408
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Hey guys a few questions if I could. I'm planning on heading south for a few months in September. Plan on spending Christmas in Tulum and touring the Yucatan. Ideally I'd like to take a month or so getting down. I figured Baja to La Paz and then the ferry over to the mainland. I've travelled to every US state Canada and Alaska but this would be my first foray into Mexico on two wheels.

My questions

1) I understand leaving wrist watches and jewelry at home but is it wise to ride the 12GS or should I pick up a Honda or something? I'm not going to ride an XR so I would be getting an ST or Goldwing or some sort of touring rig not necessarily a Honda; just wondering if the BMW is a beacon for robbery? Ideally I would prefer to ride my GS.

2) I've been to Tulum and the Mayan Riviera and I know those areas are safe. My Camera. Is that something that will also draw attention in some of the towns along the way?

3) I normally take a rambling approach to cruising. I never plan a route I usually just head in a general direction. It's not unusual for me to make no more than 150 miles a day towards my final destination after taking all the sight seeing detours. Can I ride alone anywhere I like safely as I do in the states without to much worry of robbery. I guess what I'm asking is will I be limited to the major highways or can I take the secondary roads to smaller towns which I prefer. There-in lies my camera question too. Is it safe to take pictures with a SLR type camera in the smaller towns?

4) How much can I expect to pay for a hotel room per night and do Americans get charged more than Mexicans? If so is it possible to negotiate the nightly rate. Is that insulting in Mexico?

5) Sorry for this question but I just read about 200 pages of very boring "border crossing" post trying to get an overall feel for the safety of things. To no avail. It gives the impression everyone in this thread just goes back and forth to different border crossings and then runs here to post about it lol. BTW this thread has enough border crossing post. Extremely boring reading about whether you'll get taxed for your computer or whether this crossing is better than that crossing or "I spent four hours at this crossing but five minutes at that crossing only to find Mexican Costco was a complete mess" LOL.

5.1) Anyway my question. What is the state of things today in southern rural Mexico. Pretty safe if you keep your nose clean.

5.2) Trouble will find you easily

Thanks guys

I read the first page which said post recent questions at end of thread; so I did. I have tried to read as much of the thread as possible before posting the questions I have here. Thanks for any help.
Are you sure that you have been reading this thread? Every question that you have asked has been answered recently. Try using the crappy search function, but it is crappier than crap. It takes some reading and using your own BS filter that I hope your mind came with. Take the GS (most people you meet wont know what a BMW is) keep your eyes open and enjoy some of the finest people and riding left on earth. And to quote Tricepilot, "post them pictures" (okie paraphrased)
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #14409
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Without a doubt, and further compounded by your Rallye 2 Pro jacket, SIDI Adventure Goretex boots, all topped off by your sly smile
Sounds like a self description to me.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #14410
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:

My questions

If you're 6' and 270# with blonde hair, they will know you're a gringo anyways. A BMW won't matter. You will get asked how fast, how big and how much it cost. I rode my GS and Rallye II jacket. I lived to tell. So have others.

Ditch the fancy ass DSLR. They're a pain in the ass to carry around. Buy something like a Canon S90. Dang good pics, and not a pain in the ass. You won't cry as much if you lose it or drop it. Stealth pics are easier too. You're not going to Mexico to win a lens-measuring contest.

Buy SjoerdBakker's book. You can pay less or you can pay as much as the US.
Some negotiation may happen based on if you take a good room or a not so cool room. You may pay a gringo tax, just cause you're not Mexican. Live with it. Maybe the hotelier makes a few extra pesos off you, but they may need the money more than you. Plus, they aren't running drugs, so you're supporting the local economy.

Where's the pic of the Star Wars fish head guy with the "IT'S A TRAP!" caption when you need it.

SR just survived a trip to Oaxaca. He and others live in Mexico- in allegedly dangerous places.
JDowns camped throughout Mexico. They're still alive.

5.2) Trouble will find you easily...If you walk around drunk and naked with several 500 peso notes stuffed in between your glutii maxiumus. Otherwise, just don't be stupid. But bad stuff can still happen- just like anywhere. You're not in Kansas anymore- and that can be good at times, and bad at times.

Not too hot, and not rainy season yet. You might want to consider going. If not, the barren fields and grey skies of western Ohio are quite appealing right now. Just beware the drug couriers running I-75, I-80 & I-69 and stay out of Detroit, cause you'll die. Gary Indiana ain't no field trip either.

If you screw up, don't say you're embarazado.

Thanks guys

Plan the trip, and have fun!

Oh, and have a nice pascua.

mark883 screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 05:59 AM
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #14411
andyc740
Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
If you have been on these routes lately please comment and advise, plus if you have lodged in Matehuala lately, what's the skinny there? Or any other place to lodge if I can't make it to SLP by dark. Yes, I have Sjoerd's book.

Thanks,

Mike

I rode that route a while ago, less the suggested detour through Rayones, on one of my first trips to Mexico.

The trip report is at: http://www.triumphrat.net/ride-trip-...la-mexico.html For some reason, the pictures aren't showing up. The link to the album is: https://picasaweb.google.com/1108756...aBikeRally0708

We stayed in Las Palmas, alongside the highway. Nothing too special about it, but it was close to the rally site. I think it was Restaurante El Mezquite, just up the highway, where we had some great cabrito.

The Anzalduas bridge is a convenient place to cross, little traffic, all the offices are in one building, but the only money exchange place I've found in the area is at the big Soriana on the opposite side of the intersection where the bypass meets the highway going to Monterrey. Their rates aren't that great. You might want to change money in McAllen beforehand.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #14412
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Hey, Andy? Where's the Guzzi????

Gunsmoke, leave the watch because you don't need one in Mexico, same goes for a calendar.

Bring the GS.

Apart from the ruins and beaches, there are more interesting places than touring hot, sticky, flat, wet, Yucatan.

Forget the narco hype and scary BS from people who dont know jack about Mexico.

I live here and ride solo a lot. You will be fine and you will meet a lot of good people.

Buy Sjoerd's book.

Don't ride at night.

The two legged animals are what to watch out for. They are unpredictable and often drunk and wandering on secondary roads on Sundays.

Ask the gueros from San Antonio and San Angelo for border advice. Follow it.

Use a point and shoot pocket cam, that's all I use because I am not a high roller like Don Bato!

If you need a PDF file ride guide for Veracruz, PM me.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #14413
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc740 View Post
I rode that route a while ago, less the suggested detour through Rayones, on one of my first trips to Mexico.

The trip report is at: http://www.triumphrat.net/ride-trip-...la-mexico.html For some reason, the pictures aren't showing up. The link to the album is: https://picasaweb.google.com/1108756...aBikeRally0708

We stayed in Las Palmas, alongside the highway. Nothing too special about it, but it was close to the rally site. I think it was Restaurante El Mezquite, just up the highway, where we had some great cabrito.

The Anzalduas bridge is a convenient place to cross, little traffic, all the offices are in one building, but the only money exchange place I've found in the area is at the big Soriana on the opposite side of the intersection where the bypass meets the highway going to Monterrey. Their rates aren't that great. You might want to change money in McAllen beforehand.
Stayed in Matehuala March 27, 2013 at the Hotel Parque. 4th time there, always nice. Boring restaurant, but good pollo asado across the street and hot dogs and hamburguesa on corner Thursdays thru Sunday evenings. Right on the city park. Secure underground parking with elevator.$800 MX for nice Double with queen beds, hot water and AC. Have a chess match with the math teacher on Thursdays he will hand your ass to you a long with a 10 year old savant from his school. Buy some local made candy "charamusca". Park dies around 10pm, good time to go inside in Matehuala.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #14414
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc740 View Post

Thanks Andy. Just read your report. Like you, I have always found the cops helpful. Not just with directions, but they seem to know the good restaurants, hotels to stay at, and places to stay away from.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #14415
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
Stayed in Matehuala March 27, 2013 at the Hotel Del Parque. 4th time there, always nice.
Link added to the recommendation
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote