Oddometer: 8,417

Miguelito begins another year

Bebidas at the Azotea
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #14417
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Thanks Mike. That was the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll definitely buy the book. I've spent a few weeks in Tulum and figured maybe Tulum, Merida, or Campeche would be a good base to rent an apartment for a few months over Christmas and new years. Then maybe head down to Belize and Costa Rica. My GS would be my first choice. This particular bike (gs) has been the most reliable bike I've had since my 1992 Goldwing and more comfortable. I've been to Mexico quite a few times but always to resort areas like Tulum and Cabo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey, Andy? Where's the Guzzi????

Gunsmoke, leave the watch because you don't need one in Mexico, same goes for a calendar.

Bring the GS.

Apart from the ruins and beaches, there are more interesting places than touring hot, sticky, flat, wet, Yucatan.

Forget the narco hype and scary BS from people who dont know jack about Mexico.

I live here and ride solo a lot. You will be fine and you will meet a lot of good people.

Buy Sjoerd's book.

Don't ride at night.

The two legged animals are what to watch out for. They are unpredictable and often drunk and wandering on secondary roads on Sundays.

Ask the gueros from San Antonio and San Angelo for border advice. Follow it.

Use a point and shoot pocket cam, that's all I use because I am not a high roller like Don Bato!

If you need a PDF file ride guide for Veracruz, PM me.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #14418
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Belize is going to bore you after the first 24hrs or so. Unless you are diving or doing something that is either illegal or immoral.
Base yourself out of Oaxaca, someplace other than Oaxaca City but close enough you can do the market and such. You are literally surrounded by very good riding in Oaxaca and you can easily go north, south, east, or west and find something interesting. Campeche or Merida limits you to only 3 compass points. There is a BMW dealer in Oaxaca that is not that great, but at least you can get OEM parts if you need them and you miss the feeling of what an empty wallet is like.

The Rocky Oyster is doing exactly what you have planned and it has been working out for him...for the most part. He didn't need that knee, anyways, he's got another one that works ok. LOL! I don't know exactly how much "good kharma" weighs, but having lifted his luggage a few times, I think it weighs a lot! Either that or he found the treasure of the Sierra Madre.

And don't forget Chiapas and be sure to contact Julio aka Guaterider.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #14419
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Belize is going to bore you after the first 24hrs or so. Unless you are diving or doing something that is either illegal or immoral.
Base yourself out of Oaxaca, someplace other than Oaxaca City but close enough you can do the market and such. You are literally surrounded by very good riding in Oaxaca and you can easily go north, south, east, or west and find something interesting. Campeche or Merida limits you to only 3 compass points. There is a BMW dealer in Oaxaca that is not that great, but at least you can get OEM parts if you need them and you miss the feeling of what an empty wallet is like.

The Rocky Oyster is doing exactly what you have planned and it has been working out for him...for the most part. He didn't need that knee, anyways, he's got another one that works ok. LOL! I don't know exactly how much "good kharma" weighs, but having lifted his luggage a few times, I think it weighs a lot! Either that or he found the treasure of the Sierra Madre.

And don't forget Chiapas and be sure to contact Julio aka Guaterider.
+1 Exactly what I was going to recommend on Oaxaca; its a delightful place.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #14420
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
jimmex on Oaxaca

I will chime in on jimmex' Oaxaca advice. He made me drool over it, unfortunately my other end was working over time and I did not get to Oaxaca before I had to be in Zihua.

Another place you might consider is San Cristobal de Las Casas or San Miguel de Allende. Unless you are young, handsome, rich and interested in picking up tourists chicks why go to the resorts you have mentioned. They are expensive, crowded and not an experience of "real" Mexico. My kids are on the way to Oaxaca via Puerto Escondido. Wish I were going with them. Forget Acapulco... super nasty and crowded and a certain level of asshole activity.

Yes Mike Mike, I do have that other leg, the one that, because of a neurological deficit I have trouble throwing up over the saddle... really fun when the left leg lets go! Have you noticed that in motorcycling we use our left legs a lot? Mr. Happy not likely to vault me into the saddle either.;)

To rent a nice place in the resorts is going to be costly and there is always the question of secure parking for the moto.

Gun Smoke (is your name really James Arness?) I PM'd you. Click the link in my sig line.

David
Old 03-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #14421
Vstrom650e
Banned

Oddometer: 101
I would head to Patagonia given the time.
Vstrom650e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #14422
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Belize

Belize is great if you are into fishing, especially salt-water fly fishing, snorkeling or SCUBA diving. The best of that is on Ambergris Key that I don't think you can get to on a bike unless there is a ferry. I flew and saw only local vehicles. Mainland Belize is hot, muggy, buggy, and has quite a few hostiles, especially in Belize City, a place that everyone will tell you to avoid unless you are doing a story on criminal enterprise. There is so much to discover and explore in the incredible country that is Mexico. Drink it all and come back for thirds.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #14423
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Patagonia

I disagree with Vstrom. If you want to do Patagonia fly to Chile and rent a bike or to Bariloche and rent a bike. I rode from Vina del Mar to Ushuaia and back on a rental bike in 2008. It was an incredible adventure and I didn't have to worry about how the f to get across the Darien Gap without falling prey to pirates. On the other hand there is the saga of Radioman and also of Young James and countless others including DCStrom who is making his way there now. It depends on your age, financial resources, time, physical fitness and mental strength. It is lot of "helmet time". There are places here in Mexico that you just will not want to leave for extended periods of time... San Miguel de Allende, San Cristobal de Las Casas, Veracruz, Oaxaca, the beach of your choice, I am loving Zihuatanejo the town is just the right size. I found Zipolite and its neighboring towns just a bit too small... not a lot of great street life... the ocean at Zipo is very dangerous... Zihua is very mellow and evidently Barra Potosi is even more chill.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #14424
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Patagonia

Chilean Patagonia is one of the most incredibly beautiful places I have ever been. Every time I would cross a gin clear stream or river and see a monster trout lurking in the shadows I just wanted to stop the bike and throw in a line. Not happening on that trip. Northern Chile is stark and striking. I spent three weeks there in January and February. In Austral summer people are on vacation and the prices there are really high... food, shelter, all of it... well the wine is still plentiful and can be quite affordable but you have to stop in one place for a couple of days to really enjoy that. I have significantly changed my thinking about a solo trip to the "End of The Earth" on my GS. Shoulda done that maybe 17 years ago. As I have said before and will say again traveling solo is harder than you can imagine. Shit happens. Young James is somewhere in South America putting a new clutch into his GS. Have you ever put a clutch in a GS or seen it done? The bike has got to be be literally broken in half. It is a helluva a job and you need the parts and a way to get them to you.

You can think of and plan for all kinds of mechanical mishaps and emergencies... you can carry spares you think you will need... you can prepare culturally, take some language classes, hang out in the Mexican restaurants and neighborhoods, but you can never prepare for how your gourd will react after an extended period here... you may just never want to leave
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #14425
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Solo in Mexico

As I have had to stay put for awhile, both by choice, and by dint of my knee injury I have had a bit of time to think about this subject "on location"

My "get off" was low speed and totally preventable. I have a reasonably serious "stretching" injury of a lot of soft tissue in my knee. Hopefully nothing is torn but it is going to be awhile before I can get a non-invasive exam by an orthopedist. The good thing about this injury is that "the container" was not breached. When your soft outer covering gets punctured by something or ground down a bit on the pavement it opens up a whole 'nother set of issues regarding sepsis and timely care. Think about it. Emergency services here are pretty limited. The Red Cross guys can often be found at a tope shaking a can to raise money for their services. It is not just a biff on the bike that can get your skin punctured... the ways are even more numerous than at home and the opportunities are certainly more numerous.

I was, and am, very unhappy with the response I got from Medex when I was injured. I paid a lot of money for that policy and they are going to hear from me in detail. First off they could not be reached on the toll free number provided on the card that they email you. I just called them on my cell because I have a North American Plan... The operator who takes the call is not a trained medical person, your call is answered by someone in a call center and they take your information and give you a case number. If you were seriously injured or unconscious local medical staff would be totally unable to deal with the situation. They would not know who to call or what to do. Fortunately for you, the injured person, a lot of medical response here is free, not that there is a lot in the first place. If you are riding solo and get sick or injured here you are pretty much depenent on "the kindness of strangers", some of whom might not have your best interests at heart, especially if you are unconscious or so sick in the gut that you wish you were dead.

A lot of talk is given here on safety and preparing you bike for the journey... little is given to preparing yourself... the weakest link is not the machine or the surroundings... it is the rider.

Che No More
Old 03-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #14426
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Who will get the top of page 1000?!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #14427
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Delicate Mexico

Bubanbilla, Zipolite