Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #14656
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Tell me what you plan to ride on and I might have a free set of tires for that KLR here at Casona Tricepilot.
PM on the way
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #14657
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Guess who I found out was working your tour for Skip - none other than my neighbor Big Jim. Knowing you took that Motodiscovery tour and knowing Jim used to work for Skip, I mentioned your name to him this past weekend at Jim's biker breakfast. A ton of riders showed up and Jim and his wife put on a glorious feast. I think there were over 100 riders.

Well, apparently Jim and Alberto Clave were working your tour - I know Alberto too. I have not spoken to Alberto about you. But I'll be seing him in a few months. I'll make it a point.

Let's just say Big Jim got into it with gusto in describing your demeanor on that tour. I think the grand finale in the story took place at the Playa Mazatlán.

I sat there wide-eyed and took in all Jim had to say. I'll leave it at that for now.

Being as how Jim and Alberto were not around when their drunken "guest" tried to punch me and I sent him to his room crying and crapping in his pants, anything that Jim and Alberto would tell you would be heresay.

And weren't people dissing Jim awhile ago? I was actually halfway supportive of him ;)

My negative experience with those clowns (those clowns defined as Skippy and the young tour leader on his first tour and who didn't last long) has been well documented over the years. And I don't suffer fools gladly ;)

ADDED:

I don't have anything against Jim or Aberto. Neither one was leading the tour that I took. In fact, as I recall, there was some discussion that Jim was not getting paid much or anything at all. Another of Skippy's cost cutting measures.

Jim would be blissfully unaware of the financial arrangements, and how Skippy raised the price on me at the last minute.

Jim and Alberto also had little or no control over the changes in schedules and destinations. Skippy kept us in el Fuerte for a few extra days, may have reduced our stay in Mazatlan by a day, and definitely by passed Cabo completely.

Also, Jim had little control over the weather, but that's simply a problem with the way that Skippy runs a tour. I could tell that there was some weird weather in the Sea of Cortez, and that was a major reason why I wanted out of that mess, a decision that I have never regretted for a minute. The group ran into Bob Higdon at least twice and Higdon wrote to me that it was the most miserable day of riding in his life.

Anyway, your story of Jim's recollections sounds to me like one of those embellished tales after 5 beers or so. He simply wasn't around when most of the "action" took place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PirateJohn screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 01:35 PM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #14658
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,097
The problem with these accounts is that few seem willing to tell the whole story, much preferring to describe others in the worst possible light. You included, John. Your repeated rants about Skip and his touring company have been utterly one-sided leaving out "details" such as the age of the man you struck and the age difference between the two of you. We've all done things we're not proud of and some things we're ashamed of and that would certainly be something I was ashamed of. It's hardly something to boast about.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #14659
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,459
Can't add or subtract from the personal experiences of others, but I have a good friend who took 3 tours with the Tour company mentioned. Two awesome. One completely miserable with some hard feelings.

I am not a tour kinda "guy". I would have been asked to leave day one.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #14660
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Can't add or subtract from the personal experiences of others, but I have a good friend who took 3 tours with the Tour company mentioned. Two awesome. One completely miserable with some hard feelings.

Oh yeah. In fairness, there are some relatively insurmountable problems when you have a somewhat rigid schedule, fixed budget (although Skippy was determined to make money and screw me), and different personalities (I ran afoul of three couples, all much older than me, who were traveling together, lecturing the Mexicans on how to live, and that's a sore point with me).

Skippy told me that this sort of thing "never" happened and over the years I had several people contact me and tell me of similar experiences they had had. So that's baloney - conflicts occur.

We have discussed this before but once agreed that some orientation to Mexico for a newbie is good, but a two week tour with others in lockstep can get old.

This particular tour had all sorts of problems but one thing that I remember was that the inexperienced leader was constantly wondering why no one rode at their own pace and did any sightseeing, yet was constantly pressuring me to make schedules for his convenience. When I met Helge years ago it was at an event where he stopped to chat because I had also stopped to take photos, and I always remember that he sought me out at dinner and said "I like your attitude!"

Yeah. I tend to ride alone these days. Much more interesting, and I can (and always do) change my route and schedule sooner or later.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #14661
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Yeah. I tend to ride alone these days. Much more interesting, and I can (and always do) change my route and schedule sooner or later.
Any long, interesting trips recently?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #14662
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
My friends uncle lives in quantavaca,friend told me quantavaca is like a gated community and you need lots of cash and money to live there.His uncle was a once a big wig ceo at one of the pharmacutical companies I believe. Friend and I stayed at his parents condo in mismaloya,thats a real sweet place also to hang out and relax.Its also nice to know there are still countries and people that see manners/the ability to man up and apology as a strength and not a weakness.

My take on all the negative propaganda on mexico,if the people here in the good ol USA would open up there eyes and see were the ones who are gonna be in for trouble soon. I think the government tells people this crap because if people knew what was really going on in our country not only would there be a big bank run they would jump ship to a better country and goodbye tax base and old uncle sam couldnt have this now could he?Just my 2 cents and if Im wrong Im wrong. I love all your pictures that you guys an gals have posted here . Hell if the guy who has the mv augusta is still alive and still has his bike mexico must be A ok,Id take the 2 honey hunnies w the mv augustaHave a nice day and many safe an happy riding days to all of you down there in south America/mexico:)

RebelYell screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 02:43 PM
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #14663
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Ixtapa, Guerrero, Mexico

A wall of hotels separates humans who are not staying in those hotels from the beach. It is a clean, pleasant, and sterile place that insulates the well heeled traveler from what I see as the "real" Mexico. Each to his own taste. Speaking of taste there is one very good reason to go to Ixtapa:

Fisher's Restaurant, Really good seafood served to a select clientele of yachtsmen and other high rollers.

Pulpo en Flor... one of the many great reasons to go to Fishers. Octopus and veggies grilled over charcoal! Sabroso!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #14664
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post

My first career was driving charter buses for 5+ years and each event typically had one or more group members that really should've chosen some other mode of travel. You really don't want to be "that guy". Same goes for motorcycle touring.

Kudos to you, SOG, for knowing better (although you were fun to be around once we got past the Border ).

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 05:21 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #14665
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
I dont know jack about guided tours in Mexico, nor anyone named Skip, Doc, Flaco, etc...BUT....

Trice, that is the biggest and most chingon tomato I have ever seen! AND...

Schizz, you used to drive a bus, eh? Now, that explains your riding style!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #14666
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
My first career was driving charter busses for 5+ years and each event typically had one or more group members that really should've chosen some other mode of travel. You really don't want to be "that guy". Same goes for motorcycle touring.
Before I started my boat hauling company I considered doing a charter bus company. But between the thoughts of irritating passengers constantly looking over my shoulder, and know-it-all drivers that didn't know crap (literally - I had a neighbor that drove charter buses and had blown up more than one of his boss's engines) I figured that I didn't want to screw with that.

Genuinely, one of the best things that I ever did with my life was to get a broker's license and to sell the trucks and dismiss the drivers. Some of those guys went to work for the companies that I hired, and we'd joke behind their backs about everything from their abilities to their hygiene (wonder if J. Weiger is still around? When he quit they ceremonially burnt the mattress that was in his truck)

Clearly, some people are not meant to drive trucks, buses, or, for that matter, critique on matters they know little about ;)

Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #14667
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
My friends uncle lives in quantavaca
Would that be Cuernavaca?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #14668
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post

Pulpo en Flor... one of the many great reasons to go to Fishers. Octopus and veggies grilled over charcoal! Sabroso!

God that looks good!

Food Network, or Travel Channel (I forget which) had a series of octopus dishes featured recently and it was all that I could do to resist quitting the site and heading to Nuevo Laredo for dinner.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #14669
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

MotoTours

As a former and perhaps future client of a Moto tour operator who has been discussed on this thread I find the whole discussion to be unseemly and even inappropriate for discussion here. There is a lot of hearsay, rumor and innuendo. Operating a tour business is difficult and risky. All kinds of things happen. I have lived in a tourist town and worked in the tourism industry for 8 years now. People who are paying for a service and sometimes paying a lot for it have expectations and sometimes those expectations can be quite unreasonable. When you factor in the various complexities of motorcycle travel in a foreign country add fatigue, some fear and a bit of alcohol you have a potentially really bad mix. I spoke to one of the principals in another, very high end, motorcycle touring company about "personality issues". He confided that at their price point they rarely get "difficult people" their clients are told the rules and told the consequences and if there is a problem it is dealt with swiftly and effectively. There are other people who are paying a lot of money for the adventure and the company will just not tolerate one miserable individual spoiling everyone else's journey. Two thumbs up for them! Adventure motorcycle travel is challenging and can be dangerous... the tour operator tries to maximize the joy of the experience... one disgruntled individual with an axe to grind with the whole damn world should not be given the power to lessen the experience for the other clients or for the guide/employees of the outfitter. My hat is off to anyone who can run a tour business that involves considerable physical risk in this legal and insurance environment. There must certainly be days when the operator has to ask himself: "Is this really worth it." The margins are small folks. The risks are high. After a violent weather event a few years ago my company had to hire a helicopter to bring our guests down off of the mountain after spending an cold and foodless night in the ruins of a mining town. The roads were washed out on both sides of the mountain, there was no other way to get them down. This was certainly a very expensive operation for the company that led to a few policy changes because shit happens when you run adventure tours. On my South America trip we had three serious injury accidents, one of them potentially fatal, that required riders leaving the trip and guides attending to the emergencies while the rest of us "carried on" in the best fashion possible.

Please let's stop using this very useful space to bash each other and spread rumor and innuendo. As the great sage Rodney King once said as LA burned, "Can't we all just get along?"
Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #14670
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Cuentavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Would that be Cuernavaca?
No Steve it is Cuentavaca where all of the cows are counted and all of the sinister plots by the US Government are hatched to deprive us of our precious "rats" We in the US all have our "rats" you know. They were established after a brutal war with your monarchy a couple of hundred or so years ago and there are people who will die defending some of them without realizing the the Constitution and Bill of Rights are not a menu from which you choose your favorite items and ignore the rest. They are a whole banquet and one must accept other's "rats" as a part of having one's own beliefs. Mr RebelYells paranoid delusions about the United States Government really have no place here but he occasionally raises his ugly head with his rants. As a former military officer and public servant I would like to know how much this clearly poorly educated person has travelled outside or the United States, lived in a foreign country, has any familiarity with foreign languages or customs, has served his country in any capacity or has any logical basis for his ravings other than "wing nut" propaganda. Enough of this bullshit already.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 03:54 PM Reason: Spelling errors.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote