Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #14671
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
. There is a lot of hearsay, rumor and innuendo. "

Which is why I find the "someone that barely remembers you told me after a few beers" and "I was once a minor cog in the wheels of something similar but I know the type" kind of conversations irritate me.

I was there. None of the other people commentating were. I got shafted but, like all of these things, made a great adventure out of the experience. And I have since heard from others that had similar experiences, so I know that despite the denials it happens.

Like you said David I am ready to move on. Great nation. But people need to beware.

Ironically, in that trip, the Mexican folks were great (I have a couple of stories but they reflect negatively on my travel companions so we'll let those slide). It was the US tour company that threatened to strand me and I called their bluff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #14672
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Busses and buses.

Busses are things that I willingly accept from lovely and willing women. They are a great way to get a cross cultural experience started.

Buses are things that I have learned to enjoy riding in Mexico when I am not on my moto. They are a great way to learn about the culture.

I would rather have a buss then be forced to ride a bus.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #14673
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Busses are things that I willingly accept from lovely and willing women. They are a great way to get a cross cultural experience started.

s.

A much more pleasant subject ;)

As I have been "forced" to sit in the desert and watch plenty of sat. TV lately Once Upon A Time In Mexico has been running. Between Robert Rodriquez's direction, and acting by Danny Trejo and the lovely Ms. Hayek, what more is there to know about Mexico?

Old 04-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #14674
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,748
Quote:
As a former and perhaps future client of a Moto tour operator who has been discussed on this thread I find the whole discussion to be unseemly and even inappropriate for discussion here. There is a lot of hearsay, rumor and innuendo. Operating a tour business is difficult and risky. All kinds of things happen. I have lived in a tourist town and worked in the tourism industry for 8 years now. People who are paying for a service and sometimes paying a lot for it have expectations and sometimes those expectations can be quite unreasonable. When you factor in the various complexities of motorcycle travel in a foreign country add fatigue, some fear and a bit of alcohol you have a potentially really bad mix. I spoke to one of the principals in another, very high end, motorcycle touring company about "personality issues". He confided that at their price point they rarely get "difficult people" their clients are told the rules and told the consequences and if there is a problem it is dealt with swiftly and effectively. There are other people who are paying a lot of money for the adventure and the company will just not tolerate one miserable individual spoiling everyone else's journey. Two thumbs up for them! Adventure motorcycle travel is challenging and can be dangerous... the tour operator tries to maximize the joy of the experience... one disgruntled individual with an axe to grind with the whole damn world should not be given the power to lessen the experience for the other clients or for the guide/employees of the outfitter. My hat is off to anyone who can run a tour business that involves considerable physical risk in this legal and insurance environment. There must certainly be days when the operator has to ask himself: "Is this really worth it." The margins are small folks. The risks are high. After a violent weather event a few years ago my company had to hire a helicopter to bring our guests down off of the mountain after spending an cold and foodless night in the ruins of a mining town. The roads were washed out on both sides of the mountain, there was no other way to get them down. This was certainly a very expensive operation for the company that led to a few policy changes because shit happens when you run adventure tours. On my South America trip we had three serious injury accidents, one of them potentially fatal, that required riders leaving the trip and guides attending to the emergencies while the rest of us "carried on" in the best fashion possible.

Please let's stop using this very useful space to bash each other and spread rumor and innuendo. As the great sage Rodney King once said as LA burned, "Can't we all just get along?"
From time to time Skip's MotoDiscovery touring company, which has operated in Mexico for over 30 years, becomes a topic on this thread. Some of us here know Skip or are friends/repeat customers over the years and find him to be an exceptional resource for anyone planning to safely ride past the Border. Tour operators are a relevant topic here and no one should have any reservations about discussing any Mexico motorcycle touring company in this thread. It only goes pear-shaped when someone uses such a post as an opportunity to air well-known, well-worn grievances in an uncivil manner. Such poor conduct should not discourage others from sharing.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #14675
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:

Buses are things that I have learned to enjoy riding in Mexico when I am not on my moto. They are a great way to learn about the culture.

I would rather have a buss then be forced to ride a bus.
And a beso would be good too.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #14676
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
From time to time Skip's MotoDiscovery touring company, which has operated in Mexico for over 30 years, becomes a topic on this thread. Some of us here know Skip or are friends/repeat customers over the years and find him to be an exceptional resource for anyone planning to safely ride past the Border. Tour operators are a relevant topic here and no one should have any reservations about discussing any Mexico motorcycle touring company in this thread. It only goes pear-shaped when someone uses such a post as an opportunity to air well-known, well-worn grievances in an uncivil manner. Such poor conduct should not discourage others from sharing.

Tour companies are a valid subject.

Then things go weird when you say, essentially, "we are friends, we like to promote him, but we don't want to hear contrary opinions."

Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #14677
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
We used Skip (MotoDiscovery) for our Costa Rica tour a few years, but nobody else signed up so we went on our own. The routes and accommodations were good. No personality conflicts on that tour. Used Beach's for our Alps tour and that was a small group of just 6 of us: my wife and I, another couple and two other guys. Rob and Gretchen were kinda concerned cause they mentioned that in the past a small group could be difficult if everyone didn't get along and it was harder to split up or avoid people like it would be in a larger group, but we had a great tour. Finally we used IMT for our Morocco tour this past Nov but again nobody else signed up so we went on our own again. We're starting to get a complex about going on tours cause nobody else signs up!

We like the tour method when we're going to a country we've never been to before and we don't know the language that well. We always try to learn as many phrases as possible but we definitely can't carry on a conversation. I also always try to initiate any conversation in our hosts native language even though I have tourista written all over me.

We've so far had nothing but positive experiences on our tours and it's reading forums and getting feedback from somewhere other than the operators own testimonials is valuable. We also don't put ourselves in a situation that could jeopardize our tour. Haven't been drunk on a tour yet, sure enjoy a few drinks with dinner etc. but getting drunk is just asking for trouble.

Any way, been following this thread as Mexico is on our radar so just trying to stay informed. Thanks for all the great info on places, rides and eats.

bross screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 05:13 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #14678
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
No Steve it is Cuentavaca where all of the cows are counted and all of the sinister plots by the US Government are hatched to deprive us of our precious "rats" We in the US all have our "rats" you know. They were established after a brutal war with your monarchy a couple of hundred or so years ago and there are people who will die defending some of them without realizing the the Constitution and Bill of Rights are not a menu from which you choose your favorite items and ignore the rest. They are a whole banquet and one must accept other's "rats" as a part of having one's own beliefs. Mr RebelYells paranoid delusions about the United States Government really have no place here but he occasionally raises his ugly head with his rants. As a former military officer and public servant I would like to know how much this clearly poorly educated person has travelled outside or the United States, lived in a foreign country, has any familiarity with foreign languages or customs, has served his country in any capacity or has any logical basis for his ravings other than "wing nut" propaganda. Enough of this bullshit already.
RMO

Are you having a few cocktails before you post?
I'm quoting you here...
Please let's stop using this very useful space to bash each other and spread rumor and innuendo. As the great sage Rodney King once said as LA burned, "Can't we all just get along?"

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #14679
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Tour companies are a valid subject.

Then things go weird when you say, essentially, "we are friends, we like to promote him, but we don't want to hear contrary opinions."
But that's not what I said, John.

This is what I said:

Quote:
You need to resolve your years old grudge with Skip on your own time and not air this stink every time someone posts something about MotoDiscovery. That is what I'm saying.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #14680
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
But that's not what I said, John.

This is what I said:

You need to resolve your years old grudge with Skip on your own time and not air this stink every time someone posts something about MotoDiscovery. That is what I'm saying.

Fair enough.

Sooooooo ... when people are lauding him (has anyone but me ever actually done one of his trips?) how do I nicely say "your mileage may vary - I felt ripped off"?

I am curious. Is he even still doing Mexican tours? I thought that he announced an end to Mexican trips a year or two ago.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #14681
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Fair enough.

Sooooooo ... when people are lauding him (has anyone but me ever actually done one of his trips?) how do I nicely say "your mileage may vary - I felt ripped off"?

I am curious. Is he even still doing Mexican tours? I thought that he announced an end to Mexican trips a year or two ago.
Looks like it...

http://www.motodiscovery.com/Motorcy...torcycle-Tours
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #14682
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Fair enough.

I'm betting most folks around here already know you don't hold Skip or MotoDiscovery in high regard and likely don't need that reaffirmed each time he's brought up. You mentioned "13 years" in one of your posts. Did this happen 13 years ago? Not sure how relevant anyone's experiences are after that much time has passed.

One of the regulars here has traveled with MotoDiscovery three times over the years and recently signed up for a fourth tour.

I crossed paths with Skip in Batopilas two years ago and we're only acquaintances. Not sure about his current offerings. You can always check on his web site.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #14683
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
RMO

Are you having a few cocktails before you post?
I'm quoting you here...
Nah Jick, maybe too much coffee in the AM but no cocktails, I just fall asleep after those. Thanks for pointing out the moral dilemma of my position and statement. The party in question has every right to be ignorant but he does not have any particular right to blatantly display his ignorance. I realize that not everyone can afford the free education that is provided to most of us in the US of A. It is also not the first time that you have taken it upon yourself to bring me up short for my faults. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa but I have worked hard to be a, hopefully, intelligent curmudgeon. What have you done for the world lately?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #14684
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
What tires are those? Heidenau or Pirelli perhaps. I'm debating the next set of tires for the KLR.

I'm finally going to pull it out of mothballs. Need to clean the tank and carb but expect it to start right up. Since I bought the GS my other bikes go unused.
Bridgestone on the rear, Shinko on the front.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #14685
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
On the guided tours...I have never done one. My rides are solo. Not that I am anti-social, but I just like planning out my rides, gathering info ahead of time, and then interacting with the local populace as much as I can at the destination or during the ride. With a group ride, the focus would be more with the group instead of the ride and the locals, IMO. Nevertheless, there are many here that I would take along on a partner ride, or meet at a destination.

As for guides, you guys are my guides. I get a lot of info from guys like trice, jimmex, Trail Boss, Milton Otto, kiko, Bato, Arte, ChangoGS (banned), Sjoerd, and now tedder, etc. I work this stuff into my ride plans. You guys help me a lot.

So thanks!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote