Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #14776
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Homicides down?
Not really. A lot of people don't know what is slowly but surely happening here in Mexico. What Pena Nieto is doing is merely controlling the press much like the PRI did for seven decades. News gatherers are being controlled and the truth is only getting out through certain parts of the media that are totally independent and strong enough to not be bullied. These are few and far between. Yesterday, a state newscast anchor was fired for "not being controllable". There are two newspapers in the entire state here (a long held PRI bastion except for the municipalities of Veracruz and Boca del Rio which went PRI last time but are likely to return to PAN as they had been for almost 20 years now) that are what someone would call "free press". Notiver and El Buen Tono are two papers and they burned the El Buen Tono installations two years ago but the publisher and owner is a very strong willed individual who rebuilt the installations and cranked up the presses once again. Craneguy remembers when we met him (remember that Merc with the women in it, Steve, when you were buying your tires?).
The rest of the media here is basically as state run as it is in North Korea.
Though I think the North Korean leader is likely more rational and smarter than the current PRIsta that passes for a governor here.

Repeat this phrase (like the one about the maps)..."The numbers lie, the numbers lie".

Pena Nieto is simply trying to bring back the cacique and caudillo days of power in the tradition of the brutally ignorant leadership Mexico has suffered through from the likes of Callas and a cast of truly evil people.

Woo hoo! Do I feel better after that little rantito!
Time for a beer.

Funny!

Are bloggers and Tweeters (or, as I like to say, Twits) taking over from traditional journalists?

I haven't followed the Reynosa gossip lately but it used to be that anytime something happened the Tweetersphere would light up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #14777
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
From Wire Reports

Mexico Violence: Clashes Between Federal Police, Gunmen Leave 14 Dead

MORELIA, Mexico -- At least 14 people died Wednesday in a series of clashes between gunmen and federal police in Michoacan state, a western area that has seen a surge of violence in recent years attributed to drug cartels, authorities said.

Federal police said in a statement the first gunbattle began when officers aboard a helicopter spotted armed men traveling in four vehicles in the town of Gabriel Zamora.

The gunmen opened fire on the agents, who shot back and killed five assailants, the statement said.

It said one of those killed was high in the leadership structure of a Michoacan-based drug cartel, but didn't identify the group.

Hours later in the town of Apatzingan, federal agents were accompanying a caravan of citizens commemorating the anniversary of the death of Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata when gunmen fired shots at some of the participants. Police killed one of the gunmen, authorities said.

I put this here to comment that several of us were just in Apatzingan a couple of months ago
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #14778
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
San Carlos is not a bad place to go deep sea fishing or bottom fishing.
I recommend the latter

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #14779
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
He's fishing for nalgas. I wonder how close we were to some of those thugs down in Michoacan. They were probably sitting at the next table at the cool hotel we stayed at. Funny how you can be in the midst of evil and still experience joy.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #14780
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
Every single day, Jimmy, every single day.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #14781
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Oaxaca/Ixtapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
I'm comming through with my son...and I'm very interested in that ride. We will be iin Leon around the 5th/6th of June. I'd love to hear more about that route to Oaxaca. We had planned to go towards Ixtapa to ride for a day or two...I'll consider anything that a seasoned veteran would reccomend so highly.
I would skip Ixtapa except for the Pulpo en Flor at Fisher's (picture posted a few pages back) and go stay in Zihuatanejo, still "real" Mexico, La Ropa is a great beach and there are plenty of good places to stay in the town, it is now "off season" so you can probably get some great deals. Go to AnA Restaurant for some outrageous posole and incredible tamales. They have a great mescal from the Sierra up near Ciudad Altamirano. Because of my knee injury I did not choose to ride the Sierra route that jimmex suggested but I want to next time. From Oaxaca you go up towards Cuernavaca and then down through Taxco > Iguala > Arcelia > at Ciudad Altamirano hang a left on the 134 down to Zihua. All of the Mexican car drivers that I talked to said it is a crazy, scary, twisty road... should put some grins on the faces of moto guys. I have been cautioned that it can be a somewhat "lawless" area. Ixtapa is definitely a place where you will be relieved of your cash.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 09:38 AM Reason: addition and spelling
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #14782
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I recommend the latter

+5 for the yellow swim suit!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #14783
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
+5 for the yellow swim suit!
Agreed.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #14784
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
Tweets and twittering about Mexican drug cartel violence has tapered off a lot, especially around here. The state government here passed a law whereby a tweeter can be jailed for up to 5 years for inciting panic. Another pathetic and draconian move from the PRI. It was widely ridiculed but had the desired effect on curtailing use of social media. Two people were imprisoned and later released before the law came into effect. They had erroneously and innocently spread a rumor about a narco vs. authorities confrontation, the jailing also had definite political overtones as usual. The "Anonymo" group led protests against this and shut down the state government's web presence through a hack attack. That group has been quiet for some time after a member was kidnapped by either narcos or, as some people believe, the state government.
This all moved on the news services but was widely ignored by the big players as it happened when a lot of spectacular narco stuff was going down throughout Mexico.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #14785
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Tweets and twittering about Mexican drug cartel violence has tapered off a lot, especially around here. The state government here passed a law whereby a tweeter can be jailed for up to 5 years for inciting panic. Another pathetic and draconian move from the PRI. It was widely ridiculed but had the desired effect on curtailing use of social media. Two people were imprisoned and later released before the law came into effect. They had erroneously and innocently spread a rumor about a narco vs. authorities confrontation, the jailing also had definite political overtones as usual. The "Anonymo" group led protests against this and shut down the state government's web presence through a hack attack. That group has been quiet for some time after a member was kidnapped by either narcos or, as some people believe, the state government.
This all moved on the news services but was widely ignored by the big players as it happened when a lot of spectacular narco stuff was going down throughout Mexico.

No joke?

Used to be an effective system around Reynosa. Of course, in Laredo a couple of bloggers or Tweeters got the treatment usually reserved for cartel lookouts, so I suspect that sorta discouraged their friends.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #14786
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
He's fishing for nalgas. I wonder how close we were to some of those thugs down in Michoacan. They were probably sitting at the next table at the cool hotel we stayed at. Funny how you can be in the midst of evil and still experience joy.
This got me thinking about conversations I have from time to time with friends, including teachers, educational administrators and BP agents, here in the Rio Grande Valley. If correct, it seems there are a number of Mexicans involved in the illegal drug business living on this side of the border. The kids apparently attend local schools, are nice and proper and the wives play the soccer mom role. Just yesterday a bust was on the local news and the house and development was typical upper middle class, with late model soccer mom SUVs in the garage. It seems there are many smart men that would otherwise be CEOs, CFOs, etc. running these operations and they are indistinguishable from legitimate businessmen in appearance, demeanor, and intellect.

WeazyBuddha screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 11:11 AM
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #14787
bwphoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Headed to San Carlos for a few days - anything worth doing there (not on a motorcycle)? Pm me any replies so I don't muck up this thread further.
Was there a few years ago and the scuba diving was pretty good too. Better than what we have in Arizona anyway. This was the crew we used: http://www.garysdivemexico.com

bwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #14788
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,711
As I've posted before the Border is the B-O-R-D-E-R and not representative of the country as a whole. I'll add that Veracruz is a better vantage point for understanding what's going on in Mexico than sitting at a computer in Texas.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 11:21 AM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #14789
jonas_mx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hello guys,

Im new to the forum, just want to say Mexico IS safe, I've been riding in Veracruz, Guerrero, Puebla, Hidalgo, Queretaro, Guanajuato and Morelos on and of for the past few months and its been all nice and safe. Although I have to admit some of the locals in Veracruz are quite scared of the "Zetas cartel" and close down shops and go to bed very early. Guerrero which is supposed to be one of the most dangerous places to go seems ok right now, although you get to see some very suspicious gangster trucks every now and then.

If someone is planning to visit mexico city, give me a call and I can offer a beer and a place to stay!
jonas_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #14790
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwphoto View Post
Was there a few years ago and the scuba diving was pretty good too. Better than what we have in Arizona anyway. This was the crew we used: http://www.garysdivemexico.com
San Carlos has several singers that follow the trop rock, Jimmy Buffett wannabe circuit including Mark Mulligan, who has quite a following - http://www.markmulligan.net/

Very interesting place.