Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Autobikes

Hi,

Why do you think other brands does not pick the market for auto bikes. Obviously there is a market for autobikes. But it is only honda and Aprilia who is selling autobikes. Don't you agree that more people would like to have a bike with autobox if it was cheap as the mt07?

Honda told me that in 2016 they will also most likely relaunch africa twin with a dct box.

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Its definitely the future, have a look at the premium car market. Sure bikes and cars are different in that the users are very different but I still feel its the future for bikes too.
But its a big change for bikes, its not like adding ABS for example. Personally I like the DCT bikes but they need some changes, they need to market them more towards semi automatic use and stop trying to turn them into big scooters. If Honda kept the foot gear change and got rid of the mess of switches on the handle bars creating more of a clutchless bike with an automatic mode available, more people would be inclined to adopt this technology.
Bring it on I say.
Oh and Yamaha do/did an automatic FJR 1300.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,341
most of the bikes that were offered with a DCT or other form of auto trans - were sales flops in the U.S.

the market has spoken.

DCT cannot be added to an existing engine design - it's part of a clean sheet engine, such as the Honda 700 twin and VFR1200 V4.
Not something that can be retrofitted to say, the ST / CTX 1300 engine.

Demand is not there on a large scale.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

I talked to kawasaki during a motorcycle show here in Germany and the guy tried to tell me that bikers like to shift with conventional shifter and there was no market for auto bikesI said to him sure you are right and walked away. I now know why kawasaki does not offer any kind of autobike.

I am a where of that yamaha offers a clutchless bike. I have tried a 125 cc bike with this construction and it was not bad.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
I'm sorry but IMHO motorcycles should not have manual transmissions. If you can't shift the bike, balance the bike, or need a trailer to haul your stuff while riding the bike then you need to just get a car.

I can definitely accept the benefits of a slipper clutch for offroad use and high powered race bikes, but a motorcycle with an automatic transmission is ridiculous.

If that's truly Kawasaki's feelings on motorcycles with automatic transmissions then I have 1 more reason to continue being a fan of Team Green.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

I believe that dct/autobikes and so on could do a whole lot better if honda approach it in the way they did with ABS. On my bike they sold for 1 swedish kronor which is basically for free.

If they produce a bike in the same price range as the MT07 and take no extra charges for the autobox, I think more people will chose the autoversion. Here in europe I think the auto version is doing good.

Iranian screwed with this post 10-11-2014 at 11:35 AM
Old 10-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
I thought Honda said that their DCT was lighter than their equivalent conventional gearbox. That would be a good selling point if they could get the costs comparable. I don't think the "lighter weight" ever manifested itself on the VFR1200, though.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
I talked to kawasaki during a motorcycle show here in Germany and the guy tried to tell me that bikers like to shift with conventional shifter and there was no market for auto bikesI said to him sure you are right and walked away. I now know why kawasaki does not offer any kind of autobike.

I am a where of that yamaha offers a clutchless bike. I have tried a 125 cc bike with this construction and it was not bad.
Kawasaki is selling their version of the Kymco Downtown 300i which is a great sport touring scoot.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
wheelbender6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Auto bikes definitely lure new riders. I know people that can drive a car with a manual transmission just fine, but can't seem to shift a motorcycle.
When the Honda DCTs and Aprilia Manas begin to sell better, the other manufacturers will join the party.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

I have nothing against scooters about I want something that looks like a ordinary bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
Kawasaki is selling their version of the Kymco Downtown 300i which is a great sport touring scoot.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Soulbreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
~~
I hope DCT/Semi/Automatics are offered for a long time to come. If I ever get into a situation where constant shifting starts to be a physical problem, it'll be nice to know I don't have to give up riding (or buy a CVT scooter).

Not sure how Honda's DCT's are doing nationwide, but they're doing great locally. My local Honda/zook dealer said he can't keep them on the floor and he already had 2 more sold that he didn't even have yet.
~~
2012 Genuine Blur SS220i (Retired)
Soulbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
motoretro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
As far as a MC goes, I'd like to try the Honda or Yamaha, that said if it didn't feel right, I would move on and not look back. I feel it's something either you like or don't like without much middle ground. As far as a scooter goes, I feel it would give you a bit more self confidence due to quicker steering and shorter wheelbase, perhaps one less thing to focus on.
Motoretro

motoretro screwed with this post 10-13-2014 at 05:28 PM
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,341
Quote:
you laugh and dismiss his response as wrong.....yet he's absolutely correct.

what you want and what the market has proven will sell are two different things

Quote:
The FJR 1300 AE gathered dust in warehouses....it was a very good bike, but a very poor seller - and thus no longer available (at least in the U.S. market)

The DCT Honda builds in their 700 twin and 1237 V4 is excellent by all accounts.
A few people buy them and like them, but not nearly enough.

Same with the Aprilia 850 Mana....I've never seen one on the road. I know they're out there, but that is not a popular bike.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
It's called a scooter, and they (in my opinion) suit the needs of those who desire automatic transmissions better than a motorcycle does (I've had both, like both, and prefer a scooter for urban travel where shifitng is a royal PITA). Aside from outright performance, modern scooters can do everything that a modern motorcycle can (and the typical scooter MSRP reflects that ).
Old 10-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

I think he is quite wrong. The Autoversion have sold enough here in europe to incourge to launch a new africa twin with dct.

Honda would not produce more models with dct box if they thought there was no market for it.

I think the reason fjr AS has sold poorly is that it cost a bit and it is not every biker who can afford.

If honda produces a bike smiliar to mt07 with dct and without any fees for the dct option it will sell much better, IMO.

QUOTE=Blakebird;25267913]you laugh and dismiss his response as wrong.....yet he's absolutely correct.

what you want and what the market has proven will sell are two different things

The FJR 1300 AE gathered dust in warehouses....it was a very good bike, but a very poor seller - and thus no longer available (at least in the U.S. market)

The DCT Honda builds in their 700 twin and 1237 V4 is excellent by all accounts.
A few people buy them and like them, but not nearly enough.

Same with the Aprilia 850 Mana....I've never seen one on the road. I know they're out there, but that is not a popular bike.[/QUOTE]