User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Honda Magna V65 Reassembly

Before I get into the most recent progress, I will thrill and amaze you with a chronological journey of my Honda Magna experience:

And that brings us more or less to today... I have done nearly every sort of repair imaginable to this stupid motorcycle. I have whooped out loud while in the saddle. I've also screamed every obscenity I could think of at it. And now it is getting a new motor and some other stuff. Stick around if you enjoy public masochism

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Now I am at the reassembly stage (for the 5th or 6th time). I've got a new engine and I've been giving my bodywork a bubba paintjob that I'm happy enough with so far.

Now I'll run you through the major players in this operation.

Final Drive and driveshaft

Rack of precious 70A carburetors.

Box of carb parts, including one torn diaphragm with a bubba repair that I probably won't use.

Old motor that is being stripped for parts as the opportunities arise.

Radiator, tool box, passenger peg, exhaust.

Rear wheel and used oil

New motor, has about 24k on it. Just swapped the starter, water pump, and clutch slave to this lump.

That tower in the middle is the cam chain tensioner... It needs these replaced. I get a lump in my throat every time I think about doing the job, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

This project is making me a little nauseous right now, but it's less work than it looks (after I get those $200 tensioners replaced anyways). I'm excited about the prospect of having my baby back on the road though.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
Now I am at the reassembly stage (for the 5th or 6th time). I've got a new engine and I've been giving my bodywork a bubba paintjob that I'm happy enough with so far.

This project is making me a little nauseous right now, but it's less work than it looks (after I get those $200 tensioners replaced anyways). I'm excited about the prospect of having my baby back on the road though.
Reminds me why I sold my Sabre. They're fun when everything works and a nightmare when you have to do maintenance.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
RyanIsMyName
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
I've got a V65 Sabre and working on it isn't hard, although I haven't pulled the carbs yet. She's got over 160k on her and doesn't smoke or burn.

Look up the sabmag guys. They're a great resource to have when working on V65/V45 Hondas. I hosted a wrenchfest at my parents' garage and about 10 of them showed up. They helped me rebuild my forks and a bunch of other maintenance was performed on other bikes.

Good luck with yours.

RyanIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

I'm not on Sabmag right now but I've been getting a ton of help from the guys at the V4HondaBBS. Not to mention all the tech advice I've needed so far, they also helped me get a new engine

After you get used to working on it, it's not so bad. Even pulling the carbs isn't that much of a chore after you've done it a few times But when you initially start working on them, it's just one "WTF were they thinking" moment after another. The Sabre might be better because they didn't feel the need to put 2 gas tanks on that one

Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Nitro_Fluffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Why is it none of the jap companies will build a decent shaft drive bike that isn't a full blown touring bike or a cruiser?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_Fluffy
Why is it none of the jap companies will build a decent shaft drive bike that isn't a full blown touring bike or a cruiser?
As you probably know, a chain is the most efficient means of delivering the most power with the least amount of loss. It also adds the least amount of weight to the motorcycle and is the most affordable.

Maybe the customers for those models are more concerned with the maximum horsepower number at the best price possible in a motorcycle that is as light as possible.

That would be my guess.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,208
I freakin' love the Honda V65s, Magna or Sabre. I've had two '84 Sabres, and I really regret getting rid of my second one. But, such is life. Always seems to be something "better" especially if you don't own it.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_Fluffy
Maybe because chains are efficient, proven, and allow for easy gearing changes on bikes that are intended to be performance-ridden.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Here's where we are today:

Somehow or other, I ended up stripping the bike almost completely to the frame. Didn't see that one coming

After a little ride today, I decided that I needed to keep working on the Magna, so I opened up my paint booth and got back to re-uglifying the beast.

Today's major accomplishment: removal of cam chain tensioner. My new tensioners are supposed to ship tomorrow so I decided I'd go ahead and get to work today.

As much as I've liked this bike when it ran, I am afraid I can never recommend one to another person unless I am trying to sell them mine

Old 05-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Update?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Not much of one. I decided to stop painting:

I'll name her Monet, since she looks better the further you stand from her

Just waiting on cam chain tensioners now.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Tensioners should get here Monday (been waiting close to 3 weeks since I paid for them ) but I need to move soon! I don't know if I should wait to reassemble until I have finished moving, but if things go smooth I might have it back in one piece by Wednesday or Thursday...

EDIT: They delivered them to the wrong house, but I have them now! I am going to put this sumbitch back together tomorrow!

El Guero screwed with this post 05-30-2009 at 08:56 PM
Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
I am going to put this sumbitch back together tomorrow!
WHHHHOOOOOOOOOOODAWGEH!!!!!!!!!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Spent at least 10 hours on the bike today, most of that involving the cam chain tensioners. There was plenty of bad, but the good is that it's over (unless I have the motor 180 out, which I'm 99% sure I didn't do but we'll find out)

The front tensioner took me about 1/5 as much time, but I caught my hand pretty good on something while working on it, so I guess it's a mixed bag.

Here it is! Cam chain tensioners replaced, valves adjusted, all nuts and bolts torqued, covers on (from my blown engine actually), motor is ready to go!

The engine fell over while I was trying to shimmy it into the frame, so I used the opportunity to pull the oil pan. There's that spring clip!

Where I'm at now: My new brickwall is trying to figure out how to get the thing in the frame without hurting myself.