User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
mach1mustang351 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Bike Regret

I was checking out some pics on the forum today and I got to thinking about a moment at the bike dealership in 2007. I sold my R6 and I was planning my Alaska trip and I was needing an adventure bike. I was down to a GS, KTM 990 Adventure, and the 650 V Strom. There wasn't a BMW dealership near by my area so I was pretty much looking at used BMWs with no luck. The dealer I went to sold KTM and Suzuki together. I was there an hour sitting on both bikes and a salesman came up to me and asked if there were any more questions I had. I asked if the KTM held more advantages over the V Strom on a trip like that. He said the KTM was over priced and not worth it, The Strom was the way to go. I like the bike and we have had lots of fun over the years but looking back and knowing more about bikes of the adventure genre now I kind of kick myself for not having the 990.

Any of you have any similar regrets on not buying a bike you should have?
mach1mustang351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 View Post
I was checking out some pics on the forum today and I got to thinking about a moment at the bike dealership in 2007. I sold my R6 and I was planning my Alaska trip and I was needing an adventure bike. I was down to a GS, KTM 990 Adventure, and the 650 V Strom. There wasn't a BMW dealership near by my area so I was pretty much looking at used BMWs with no luck. The dealer I went to sold KTM and Suzuki together. I was there an hour sitting on both bikes and a salesman came up to me and asked if there were any more questions I had. I asked if the KTM held more advantages over the V Strom on a trip like that. He said the KTM was over priced and not worth it, The Strom was the way to go. I like the bike and we have had lots of fun over the years but looking back and knowing more about bikes of the adventure genre now I kind of kick myself for not having the 990.

Any of you have any similar regrets on not buying a bike you should have?
I have a 2007 990, all I can say is: don't regret not having bought it, especially for a long haul trip. It is thoroughly uncomfortable for long days in the saddle (I had the adventure S with the raised motard style seat to accommodate my size), totally hardcore. Mid trip, I had to add heated grips, and they didn't work properly... ever...

It is expensive to have maintenance done, and difficult... Go find a ktm dealer in eastern Europe if you want a challenge. Changing oil is hours worth of work, about 12 pages in the user manual as all the panels need removing. So forget doing it yourself on the side of the road. It generally feels like a mechanically fragile bike so you're always worried when the next issue might raise its head.

In the end it didn't give me any nasty surprises, but seeing how unreliable and fickle it is, based on posts on this forum, it might very well have given me major headaches...

It is sturdily built, i'll give it that (low side slide, twice and I could keep going, bent handlebars and all...)

Did I mention expensive ownership??

Only reason I'm keeping it is because I have an emotional attachment to it, given the trip I did. But I'm not looking forward to the bill when I will have to have a major overhaul done, at only 50000 km. Totally insane.

That's why I'm looking into the new v storm 1000 as my new daily and long distance ride.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Back in the day all the magazines were lit up with the big news that Il Monstro was coming to the US. It was going to be a mailed fist of Italian power and elegant design. It was going to be this colossus of two wheeled force.

I shopped them.

I bought a Katana 750.

Still regret it. But I have a lot of purchase regrets from that period: Transalp, Hawk GT, FZR 750, RC- Anything, K100RS 4 valve, etc.

But Il Monstro is the big regret.

I camped and traveled all over the country on the Suzuki. It was a great bike. But every time I see a monster now I have this little voice in the back of my head saying "aw, man..."
I was a terrible mechanic back then. I didn't have the skill to keep one on the road if it broke down in Moosecock Saskatchewan at 2 in the AM. It was probably for the best.

I think we all understand Wayne Campbell's struggle, in this respect.
I have this same affliction when it comes to the Diavel nowadays. Though I have developed a grim determination that it will be mine, probably because of the Il Monstro debacle.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,404
For a long trip like that the first thing on my list would be reliability and dealer network for parts etc. A co worker of mine did a long trip on a BMW and had terrible support for his GS and had to re-route his whole trip so there would be a dealer available. I've never owned a BMW so I can't comment on personal experience. The KTM would also worry me as parts might be difficult to source. I would think there would be a Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha dealer close or closer then the others and anyone can pretty much work on them at a dealer. I'd go with the Suzuki.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
agreed with manganos. Knowing what I know now, the suzuki is a hell of a complete package to beat. Just about perfect (like lets say the new v storm) Sensible in every way.

S10 is up there too.

All the euros, stay away unless you have a direct line to a dedicated dealer or company team that can send you parts.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,607
Only bike I regret not getting was the SV1000N. I wanted one in the worst way but couldn't afford it. I ended up getting an EX500 which was pretty cheap but very good little bike.

Still waiting for the big four to make another sporting twin in the liter class.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
longrides1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
The Weestrom 1000 is way better than the S10, have ridden both no comparision in my book. 2014 issue of Motor Cyclist tested R1200GS Adven, 1190 Adven R, Triumph Tiger Exp Xc. and S10, they should have tested the Wee1000 and it would have beaten the S10 for second place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
agreed with manganos. Knowing what I know now, the suzuki is a hell of a complete package to beat. Just about perfect (like lets say the new v storm) Sensible in every way.

S10 is up there too.

All the euros, stay away unless you have a direct line to a dedicated dealer or company team that can send you parts.
Ride Report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004437
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Had an S10....regretted trading it. Got a Triumph Trophy....regretted buying it. No do overs. Traded the Trophy.....very glad I did it. Got a Tiger XC....Im happy again.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Soulbreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
~~
When I decided to trade in my scooter and buy my first motorcycle last year, I was debating between the CBR250 and the Ninja 300. I wallowed around on my decision as I waited for slightly better weather before getting a bike for the year.

Well, the day I went in to make my final decision and sign for a bike (the 300), the Ninja was gone. As was the rest of the Kawi's he had. He dropped Kawi from his line-up a week or two before. Now, I could have gone to another dealership not too far away, but I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much for my scooter since this guy was a Genuine dealer.

I still wonder 'what if'. Would I have lasted longer on the 300 than the CBR? Would I still be riding it now? Or would I have pulled the tigger on a trade-in and gone even more upside down than I did? I traded the CBR in after 5 months/5,000 miles for my Gladius.
~~
2012 Genuine Blur SS220i (Retired)
Soulbreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,235
Only once. In a frightful spat of practical thinking I bought a PC800 for commuting. Hated it immensely and got rid of it in less than 24 hours from time of purchase

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,215
I don't regret any of the purchases.
But I regret many of the sales.

Once I learned that, I ended up keeping most.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #12
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Only once. In a frightful spat of practical thinking I bought a PC800 for commuting. Hated it immensely and got rid of it in less than 24 hours from time of purchase

I rode a Plastic Coast back when they were in showrooms and noped right off of it after a short jaunt.

I'm with you. Great machine for someone else.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,566
In 1968 I was trying to decide between a Royal Enfield Interceptor and a Norton N15 Scrambler. I bought the POS Enfield and I still regret passing on the Norton.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,641
Everyone I know that rides has this disease. The only cure is a constant stream of bikes.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #15
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Was recently torn between a 500f Honda and an '06 Multistrada 620. Almost the same mileage. Honda was $1500 more. the Duc was a Duc. One guess which one I bought. The dif will pay for several valve adjusts...
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote