User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Hank.SD OP
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,268
TL1000R thread

Is anyone here a former or current TL1000R (or S) owner?

I've always had a weakness for sporting big twins. Actually its one of my many weaknesses when it comes to bikes

I had a Superhawk at one time and loved it other than the fuel economy and range which limited it as my only bike at the time.

I absolutely love my TEX, but have felt a little nekked without a sport bike in the garage... so I've been thinking about finding a "deal" on something older (cheap) but hopefully also unique and clean.

Just recently a TL1000R came up in the flea market, and I almost bought it but wasn't able to get there before it sold. It got me looking at the market and shortly after this beauty came up. It was a typical Craigslist ad. No details, one tiny pic. The price was right so I asked some questions and got more pics. Turns out it was a second owner bike, both owners mature, and in very good shape. Its a 99 with 25K on it.

I went to look at it and the owner, almost in passing, mentioned it had an Ohlins shock and reworked forks. It also had D&D pipes, Power Commander, braided steel lines, undertail, good rubber, newer battery. Also came with the seat cowl and stock pipes and a stand which I forgot to get.

Basically, it has the exact mods I'd add to a bike like this and no stupid shit has been done to it.

The condition is exceptionally good with just a couple scuffs.

It went in my truck in a hurry.

The suspension work is a real bonus as the stock suspension is definitely the weak point of the bike. The Ohlins on it is fully adjustable and retails for somewhere north of 1500, or just a little over half what I paid for the bike.

Darn fun bike so far. Sounds just wicked and has typical nice sporting twin power. The ergos are pretty racy, but the seat is good. I don't mind as I have no intention of touring on it.

Tell me about your TL ownership!

Hank.SD screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 06:17 AM
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 199
Damn - nice score. I have never ridden the TLR, but I too love big sport twins. They are such a hoot to ride, and have some much usable power, and sound sooooo nice. I have a Superhawk and absolutely love it. I can only image the ride with reworked forks and Ohlins, and about 25 more HP!

I am surprised the v-twin platform has fallen out of favor in sporting bikes. Seems everything has gone back to 4's again (except Ducati) and a few less hard-edged options. I'd really like to run across a good deal on an RC51 or TLR in my neck of the woods, but everyone wants $5k for them here, or they are all ratted-out with 2 bit custom crap.

When you get bored with it and want to sell it for a steep loss, PM me ;)
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Hank.SD OP
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
Damn - nice score. I have never ridden the TLR, but I too love big sport twins. They are such a hoot to ride, and have some much usable power, and sound sooooo nice. I have a Superhawk and absolutely love it. I can only image the ride with reworked forks and Ohlins, and about 25 more HP!

I am surprised the v-twin platform has fallen out of favor in sporting bikes. Seems everything has gone back to 4's again (except Ducati) and a few less hard-edged options. I'd really like to run across a good deal on an RC51 or TLR in my neck of the woods, but everyone wants $5k for them here, or they are all ratted-out with 2 bit custom crap.

When you get bored with it and want to sell it for a steep loss, PM me ;)
To sell it at a steep loss I'd have to give it away!

It was a nice find. I'm awfully happy with it. Yup, sporting twins are a blast. I actually find it far more fun to ride than the ZX14 I had last year. The quantity of power is way down, but the quality is awesome!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,117
I always thought those TL1000's are cool bikes. I like the newer SV1000 also. I like the mid-90's Ducati's also.... Lots of my riding buddies have had big twins, Ducati's and Aprilia's. Love the way they sound.

Nice find. That's the best color for those.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,377
When Yosh ran the TLR in AMA Superbike. I really hoped they would do well because I'm a twins guy.
I was at Mid-Ohio , just parked my pit bike and headed for the berm behind the Keyhole and Crevier was coming up the hill. i was still at the bottom of the berm but looking toward the track when I saw Crevier flying 6' in the air. highsided again. That happen several times that year, don't know that they ever got a handle on it .
Nice bike, ride hard.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 884
i always loved the tl1000 r , when they were new i was broke and when i had the cash there were none to be had.i've passed on a mint 900 ss and an st2 but if a nice tl r presents itself to me i'm buying. how about posting a picture with the cowl on.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
muguvian
lugrubious

Oddometer: 100
Very nice find. I've had a 97 S since Oct of 2001 and put on almost 120k miles. After an aggressive pass last December it started smoking and fouled a plug so I decided to re-ring and check the various soft parts. When I got it torn down the Nikasil still had the factory cross-hatching (not unexpected, but still kinda cool) and there was only a light coat of encrusted carbon on the backs of the valves. Take care of it, that's a nice Tiller.
muguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
When Yosh ran the TLR in AMA Superbike. I really hoped they would do well because I'm a twins guy.
I was at Mid-Ohio , just parked my pit bike and headed for the berm behind the Keyhole and Crevier was coming up the hill. i was still at the bottom of the berm but looking toward the track when I saw Crevier flying 6' in the air. highsided again. That happen several times that year, don't know that they ever got a handle on it .
Nice bike, ride hard.
I talked to Steve the following season when he was back in Canada. He said the thing would not do anything he wanted. They got it to make power, but they couldn't seem to keep it pointed where it was supposed to go. He hated it.

Having said that, I'd love one. I like motorcycles that are a bit ridiculous, and this one is. The very first one I saw had a pair of C.F. Kerker cans on it. They were doing high speed runs on a local airport strip. Everyone else would start pointing their bike toward the near end, in 1st, then turn around at start cranking on it. He did the same, but in second, as soon as he turned and started rolling it on, the front wheel came about a foot or so off the deck and stayed that way most of the way down. He wasn't anywhere near the fastest guy, but he sounded better than anything else.
I know where there's a really nice yellow one that the guy wants way too much money for.
That would be a silly thing for me to do.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Im on my second tlr. I like most things about but it really need lighter wheels and less weight overall. So much so I have thinking of trying something else.... sport naked or maybe 600-750 cc newer sportbike...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
espacef1fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,696
That's a great looking ride.
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,180
I was at the Barber Museum two weeks ago and I took this (sorry if it's a double-tap). I came very close to buying a new one in '97, but I didn't. Dealers were having a hard time selling them back then... I guess the rear suspension was the culprit.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
jaredg21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Man oh man I am jealous I had a 97 tls with the exact same mods except i had sv injectors and a stage 2 yosh cam with yosh pipe. I still miss that bike. congrats on a great bike for a great price.
jaredg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS View Post
I was at the Barber Museum two weeks ago and I took this (sorry if it's a double-tap). I came very close to buying a new one in '97, but I didn't. Dealers were having a hard time selling them back then... I guess the rear suspension was the culprit.

I would give my left nut for that bike... just perfect !
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,271
Here you go, my riding buddy.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 364
Not EXACTLY a TL

But does this count?

My SB8RS, the TLR's hot italian cousin.

Lots of fun. Throttle like a lightswitch below 6000, really makes you think twice before hammering the gas as you start your corner exit...

vasculopath screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 08:35 PM Reason: resized pic
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote