Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #211
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 446
I know about all of those guys and didn't mean to dismiss them at all (I'm a member of theVMC.com where those guys are all discussed regularly). I meant that Vic prevents big companies from making stuff. All of the sites you listed make great products and some exist because Vic doesn't offer much other than bling for the bikes. Harley has been doing bikes longer and are pretty damn good at marketing no matter what you think of thier bikes and as I said, Polaris has a billion options for their ATV's, they just need to expand the bike side a little. To release new models but not have all of the accessories for them when they are released (oh, that will be out in a year or so, we wanted the bike out there ASAP) is foolish.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #212
Stryker_11a
Licensed Moonbat Hunter

Oddometer: 452
the MoCo has a 96 year head start on Victory, so it may take some time for the after market to catch up.

Victory is doing pretty good for 11 years of making bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
All of the internet discussion in the world isn't going to change a narrow mind, so why waste the energy?
Stryker_11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #213
quint7
I don't need a title

I totally agree. I love my Vic as does my best friend that turned me onto them after letting me take his Hammer for a 2600 mile trip. But Polaris has been doing this for 50 years......
I have heard that they have a lotta resources tied up in their military ATV division which is good for the company (and thus for Vic).
Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #214
jacksgp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I have never seen a LONGER bike than the cross/roads/country....almost 9 feet long...weird!

Bulletproof but long!
jacksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #215
cipher
Beemer Bum

Oddometer: 10
I don't believe Polaris/Victory prevents anyone form making anything they want for their products. You have to reach a certain level or critical mass of product before you get much attention from the larger manufacturers.

As for the recent comparison of Apple and Microsoft, have you really studied what Apple has done in the last few years. I would always rather have better quality and user experience than ""cheap."

Any way, just for FYI, I had a 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2005 R1200Rt, and just sold my 2008 R1200GS. It had less than 6000 miles on it and needed balance shaft seals already. I work part time at a BMW shop and I know their quality is good, not perfect and all mechanical things will break sooner or later. I feel that everyone should Ride what works for them.

I still have my 2009 Vision it works for me. It has everything the LT had except the electro-pneumatic center stand, a lot cheaper maintenance requirements and it fits me for all day comfort. I spent alot on custom seats and other changes and couldn't get my BMWs where they need to be in the comfort arena.

See you down the road.

2004 BMW R1150R
cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #216
quint7
I don't need a title

Actually Cobra exhausts makes all of Vics Stage 1 pipes. If you look at Cobra's offerings for other makes of bike you will see pipes that are dead ringers for Vics pipes. Some VMC members that have connections at the factory have said that Cobra can't make Vic stuff and I believe it. Cobra makes backrests, pipes, etc. for every cruiser but Victory. That leaves us with the 1 or 2 options Victory sells.
The dealership near me closed but before that I had a great relationship with the manager. He told me that Victory wanted to get the tshirt/lifestyle market right off the bat and I personnaly could give a damn about that stuff. I have never felt a need to wear Japanese bike clothing but then I like to ride, not bar hop as some do.
As for the Apple/Microsoft comparision I did say only computers and my point was that Microsoft saw the benefit of licencing their OS while Apple kept everything in house except for a short try at letting other companies use their OS which failed miserably because Mac fans didn't trust the non-Apple companies. Victory should encourage the aftermarket instead of taking other companies products, calling them Victory and charging more for them. Hardstreet saddlebags to me are the worst example. Victory puts a Victory emblem on them and charges $300+ more for them than if you buy them from Hardstreet. To me that says "we know the consumer is a sucker" which doesn't build brand loyalty. Same with the writing off of older models. I have a Supertrapp 2 into 1 on my bike and when Victory finally made one (that again looks exactly like Cobra's 2 into 1 for other bikes) they didn't make one that fits the earlier Vegas/Kingpin models, only the ones made that same year (08 I think) and newer. You can still probably order the leather drive belt for a Harley Silent Gray fellow from the dealer. LOL
I'm glad you like your Vision. When I was in Tucson inFeb. I stopped into Arizona Victory to get an oil change and one of the mechanics had a sweeeeeet Vision. Tons of mods, the coolest being the Euro spec clear taillights. I didn't even know Vic had sales in Europe!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #217
aaronrkelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Bought a 08 Vision Tour Premium dealer demo (has about 10K on it) about a month ago. Test rode the Ultra Classic and this.....it was a no brainer. More farkle, more power, more comfort.....less money.

I moved up from an older Goldwing......and I really should have test rode a newer Goldwing but the local dealer is an asshat and doesnt let anyone test ride their shit. Yeah, Im gonna spend $24K THEN test ride the bike......fuck that. So its my fault for being to lazy to go to another town/dealer.

Got back from 8 hours today......not even sore, could do 8 more with ease. To me the seating and foot position is like it was molded for me.....great shiz.

I will say its a huge biatch. I will not complain much about having to move it around though. One hand on the bars, one on the grab rail do-dad and I can move it easily around my garage. Its fairly well balanced.

Storage.....ehh, not that great really. That top box is nice...plenty big. The side boxes are OK but what really sucks is no fairing storage to speak of. Yeah there is that little compartment to the left....but its got a power port in it. If you plug one thing in then it will fill the whole thing. If not you have storage for maybe a wallet.....kinda sucks really.

Gizmos.....bad ass. Power windshield is cool as hell. I use it often. Adjust down for town to get the air on a hot day.......up for the freeway/rain/cold etc. I adjust it back and forth probably half a dozen times a day. Heated grips and seats.....yeah, very nice. HID headlight......I ride to work every night so this is huge......very crisp and clear. Cruise control and radio controls are in great spots. Radio and cruise operate as they should.

aaronrkelly screwed with this post 05-15-2010 at 11:49 PM
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #218
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrkelly

Is that some kind of leg wind deflector below the stock deflector?
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #219
aaronrkelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor
Is that some kind of leg wind deflector below the stock deflector?
Yep it adjusts to either deflect or draw air in. Its stock, came on the bike. This is the Premium Tour version so maybe it doesnt come on the Comfort or Base models.....not real sure.

It doesnt really look like much.....but its very efficient. I commonly ride in upper 30 degree weather on my way home from work in the mornings and I dont dress any differently for the ride then I do for work......so a pair of cargo pants is it. Not a problem at all. You wouldnt think that little wing of plastic would work that well....
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #220
daryle105 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
Yep it adjusts to either deflect or draw air in. Its stock, came on the bike. This is the Premium Tour version so maybe it doesnt come on the Comfort or Base models.....not real sure.

It doesnt really look like much.....but its very efficient. I commonly ride in upper 30 degree weather on my way home from work in the mornings and I dont dress any differently for the ride then I do for work......so a pair of cargo pants is it. Not a problem at all. You wouldnt think that little wing of plastic would work that well....
I need the the lower deflectors on my vision
daryle105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #221
Penmeister
Portabella

Oddometer: 133
I LOVE my blue 2011 Cross Country!!!! Have had it 12 weeks and have 4500 miles on it. Bummed that I have to put it up for the winter...
Penmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #222
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penmeister View Post
I LOVE my blue 2011 Cross Country!!!! Have had it 12 weeks and have 4500 miles on it. Bummed that I have to put it up for the winter...
How are you managing with the wind buffeting?
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #223
Penmeister
Portabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
How are you managing with the wind buffeting?
What wind buffeting?? I bought this in September and switched out the windshield for the "flip" immediately since the stock one was way to short. I had soft lowers put on when I picked it up and never bothered to take them off so will see what happens next summer when things warm up. I did not notice any issues when I took one for a test ride before purchase so really don't expect a problem.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #224
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,264
Thanks.

The recent Motorcycle Consumer News, in the bagger comparo (xCountry, Street Glide, and a Yamaha Star model) stated the biggest problem with all three bikes, but particularly the xCountry was the wind buffeting, particularly at 60+ mph speeds.

Do you look through the windshield, or look above it?
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #225
Penmeister
Portabella

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Thanks.

The recent Motorcycle Consumer News, in the bagger comparo (xCountry, Street Glide, and a Yamaha Star model) stated the biggest problem with all three bikes, but particularly the xCountry was the wind buffeting, particularly at 60+ mph speeds.

Do you look through the windshield, or look above it?
I look just over it. The stock windshield (very short) allowed the wind to hit me about half way up my face shield. Switched up to the "flip" a week later and now I have no issue with wind. One point of caution - the "flip" has some distortion in it which has taken a bit of getting used to. Will probably eventually look for an after market windshield of the same size without the distortion issue.

The soft lowers go over the engine bars and basically block everything else. They're great in rain as I get no splash off the wheels and stay nice and dry (and warm) in my little cocoon. Road yesterday and temp range was 31-36 degrees foe the hour I was out. No heated clothing, only the heat from the grips. I did layer the cloths some but was not cold. Here's a pic to give you an idea of my set up:

Taking it off the road tomorrow as snow is forecast.