Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #106
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey
It has the great big caboose,
You should see my Wee with the big blocky Givi cases mounted, not nearly so sleek.
I like it in a Road King sorta way.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #107
Stryker_11a
Licensed Moonbat Hunter

Oddometer: 452
Today was my first ride on the cross country. Weather was 45 F and sunny. There is a lot of snow melt and gravel on the road so I was taking it pretty easy in the turns.

The transmission is silky smooth. The vegas had a distinct "clunk" when changing gears, that is gone. Amazing acceleration for as big as it is, much more powerful than the vegas. The ride is smooth and extremely well balanced, it hugs the turns like it is on rails.

I can't wait to put even more miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
All of the internet discussion in the world isn't going to change a narrow mind, so why waste the energy?
Stryker_11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #108
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Was at the Chicago bike show yesterday. There were Vics there, but I heard a local dealer brought them and not Polaris.

Looked at Cross Country. Surprised too see the fairing was fork mounted. Didn't care for the big wide crash bar, there trying to put to much style into the bikes.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #109
Stryker_11a
Licensed Moonbat Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
Was at the Chicago bike show yesterday. There were Vics there, but I heard a local dealer brought them and not Polaris.

Looked at Cross Country. Surprised too see the fairing was fork mounted. Didn't care for the big wide crash bar, there trying to put to much style into the bikes.
They are just not peddling the same tired design that everyone else is doing on cruisers.

But I will be getting the crash bar modified, it is just too wide and I won't be putting any lights or highway pegs on them. I like what Ness did to their CC by cutting out the center portion of the crash bar.

Quote:
All of the internet discussion in the world isn't going to change a narrow mind, so why waste the energy?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #110
Zerk
DILLIGAF

There is something to be said for trying new things, but then again its a bike with two wheels a gas tank, and seat.

Not to mention the top of the crash bar is plastic.

Victory may be building a core group, but would probably sell more bikes if there styling wasn't so out there.

I did think the Cross Country fairing was kinda cool. Like I said I was surprise it was for mounted. Though I got a bat wing on Glide.

I didn't sit on it, but my buddy did, and said it felt light.

I think the Cross County and Cross Roads are a great move for Victory.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #111
Stryker_11a
Licensed Moonbat Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
Not to mention the top of the crash bar is plastic.
The crash bar is a two piece design, the chrome side piece and a steel cross bar has a plastic cover on top of it. It is pretty solid but probably not as solid as a one piece design.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #112
WildMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Vision Owner here...

Just wanted to chime in here, after joining this site yesterday ! I am a previous H-D Ultra Classic owner, and when I went shopping for it's replacement, the only 2 bikes I considered were either a Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic, or the Victory Vision. After looking/Comparing both, I couldn't justify the extra $10,000 for a H-D, especially when looking at the current state of the economy. My Vision is an '08 model, I purchased in May of that year. Zero maintenance issues other than normal interval Oil & filter changes etc. However, the attitude of the Victory dealers versus the H-D dealers would have sold me on the bike itself ! The H-D people acted like they were doing me a favor just answering a few questions, versus the Victory dealer constantly inviting me in for coffee, rides, or just to discuss many wide ranging topics of motorcycles. This was the norm for all the Victory dealers, not just the one in my home town where I made the purchase ! I am considering adding a different set of cams, to boost power/mileage, but other than that, I have put many miles on the Vision, and I look forward to many more !

Steve.
WildMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #113
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildMonkey
J, the only 2 bikes I considered were either a Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic, or the Victory Vision.

Steve.
The Vision has more bang for the buck then a Ultra. But I wouldn't compare to SE Ultra, those are just waste of money for guys with small penises.

We were debating this after the Chicago bike show. I saw custom paint a used bike and build a non EPA compliant bike. Though my friend mentioned the SE probably hold better value.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #114
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker_11a
The crash bar is a two piece design, the chrome side piece and a steel cross bar has a plastic cover on top of it. It is pretty solid but probably not as solid as a one piece design.
I sure its solid, but still bunch of plastic hanging off the bike. I also suspect since its so wide, scratches will show up easier if you drop it.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #115
Rastus
World Traveler

Oddometer: 73
Cross country impressions

I rode both the cross country and cross roads. They are both NICE! The CC would be my pick with the stereo and standard cruise control. Black Cherry is a sweet color.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #116
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus
I rode both the cross country and cross roads. They are both NICE! The CC would be my pick with the stereo and standard cruise control. Black Cherry is a sweet color.

Agreed! Anyone have a pic with the optional backrest/rack?

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #117
Kytann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
HD currently has about half the US market for >650cc motorcycles. They are the leading manufacturer of motorcycles in the US.
Seems to me there is a market and its much bigger than the other segments. At least in the US.

I've really been impressed with the Victory motorcycles I have seen but I'm not really interested in a cruiser. Still seems to me that a less expensive entry model would help over all sales. I'm guessing the problem is that currently they have basically 1 engine. It would probably be difficult to sell a motorcycle much cheaper with the current engine and a new engine would be difficult to sell cheaper unless you could sell bigger volumes. Engineering and tooling costs are substantial for an engine.

Craig
Make it a single based off of just half the current motor?

thumpa, thumpa, thumpa, thumpa.....

Kytann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #118
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytann

Like the Suzuki Savage? Labeled a girls bike!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #119
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytann

Or Victory Blast?

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #120
Kytann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr
Or Victory Blast?
Eh. The blast was ugly and plasticky. And the savage was what a 250?

Half of the 100 Cu In motor would be 819 cc.

Hardly a girls bike.

And that would certainly thump...

Besides, the original question was how to get the manufacturing costs down without designing a whole new engine. There's one easy to reach example.

Kinda minimalist like this
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...-cycle-design/
but as a single.
Kytann is offline   Reply With Quote