Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #1321
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,039
Iron Butt ride #5 for 2013 on the Vision and still no problems on a road trip.

This ride was the all in-state Wisconsin 1000. About 25% interstate and 75% two lane highway.

1053 Miles Total time - 20:48 Moving time - 18:32

The route -

This ride started at 12:37 am -

8:01 am and I have traveled 383 miles and it's warming up. 43 degrees, the low was 38.

A stop in Osceola, WI. The birthplace of Victory Motorcycle -

A lot of two lane roads on this route -

Near Green Bay. Sunset with a bright moon -

Rollin' screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 08:50 AM
Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #1322
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Thanks for the feedback, MHaz01. I hardwired my GPS to the battery for now. (Felt like a total noob pulling the seat expecting to find the battery. I know, RTFM.) I'll use the power outlet to run my heated gear for now. Hard to imagine how cold it will have to be before I need the heated gear though. I was comfortable riding over White Pass here in WA with temps in the 40s without even adding layers.

I would have never guessed that connector had anything to do with reverse!

Congrat's on the latest Iron Butt, Rollin'. I didn't realize you had the Victory trunk, thought yours was an 8Ball.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #1323
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
White Pass is an awesome ride.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #1324
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 220
Crap. I rode to Menards to buy a tube of caulk yesterday. I feel so inferior. Thanks Rollin'.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #1325
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
I did a Victory demo day at a local dealer this weekend - nice bikes.

I rode a Cross Country first - lazy revving, some buffeting even at demo ride speeds, but stable, surefooted and confident. I was surprised both by how much I liked the stereo and how it wanted to fall into low speed corners. Great brakes.

Vision was up next...what a monster. Low speed handling better than the CC - it actually felt lighter. Amazing wind protection from the lowers, buffeting from the screen in any position - I preferred it low, as at max the wind protection was better but it was right in my line of sight. I'd go with a shorty for most of the year, and get a tall one for the winter. In general way more bike than I want, but a nice ride. Engine felt like it had a heavier flywheel than anything else I rode, not sure if this is just perception, on a heavy bike with an epic fairing, or reality.

I rode the 8 Ball Cross Roads, and I loved it. Smooth air flow without any shield, and the sail effect wasn't any worse than I expected. Motor wanted to rev more - might just be perception again. Great view of the road without all the fairing clutter, this was the only bike that really wanted to run, I felt. It didn't tip into corners the way the CC did - thats a good thing.

I then road the CR Classic. Same basic feel as the 8 Ball, but the windshield wasn't great. I'd prefer the CC over the windshielded CR, but something again either short or taller would probably work better for me.

A few commonalities struck me.

1. Tiller steering. All these bikes position the hands so far behind the head tube, low speed manuevers and the general look of the front end is...weird. But past a walking pass, they all handled great.

2. Shitty gearbox. Clunky. I clicked into N on the 8 Ball, got the N indicator light, let the clutch out...killed it in the parting lot because I was still in 1st.

3. Fantastic, huge floor boards. Better angle than HD, and the space lets you stretch out in the gyno chair position some guys love, or put the balls of your feet on the back edges and get an almost standard riding position.

Overall... I really didn't want to ride the Strom home. The 8 ball, though I can't get all the way behind the looks, is calling to me. I was mainly out to get a feel for what Polaris can do, because I'm looking to buy an Indian next year...I was pretty impressed.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #1326
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I too went to a Victory open house demo tour Saturday. Had a great time, rode 4 bikes. Vision first, then the High Ball (I couldn't resist), then the Cross Country, then finished with a Cross Country Tour.

I liked them all. Not sure if I want a heavy cruiser, but I keep thinking about it. (been riding BMW for 33 years). If I go heavy cruiser, it will be a Victory or Indian. If it's Victory, it will be the Cross Country. I loved the Vision - but not the tiny saddlebags.

The only thing that didn't impress me about the bikes was the transmission. But I could live with it, easily. I've had my airhead since 1980, and you can hear it shifting (clunking) a half mile away.

They had one "smoking hot deal" in the showroom. The Victory rep took me in to make sure I saw it. A red Cross Country. Factory rep bike, a little over 200 miles, cruise control and ABS, for $15,500. I believe he said it was a 2014, but I might be wrong. The problem was I immediately fell in love with the Titanium Silver Suede. Unfortunately, that color doesn't come with ABS or cruise, but the dealer said they can add factory cruise.

Great bikes. Very mipressed. And what I really like about Victory is their marketing focuses on the quality of their product, not some horse s___ "mystique" / fantasy life style.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #1327
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post

Congrat's on the latest Iron Butt, Rollin'. I didn't realize you had the Victory trunk, thought yours was an 8Ball.
Thank you!
Yes. It is the 8-Ball. I added the trunk this past summer, my wife wanted the taller backrest
Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #1328
Savoir-Faire